Corvair remote oil filter adapter

All Models and Years
BudShort

Corvair remote oil filter adapter

Post by BudShort »

On a previous post about nylon oil filter washers, I mentioned my Corvair remote oil filter adapter and I was asked to elaborate on that. I'm using a Corvair engine on an Avenger GT-15 and the stock position of the oil filter interferes with the tail section. My solution was to use a remote oil filter adapter that bolts on with the oil filter bolt in place of the stock oil filter. I saw one of these in person on a friends Corvair back in the 70's and I've seen pictures of these adapters on the internet, but none are available. My next thought was to have one built at a machine shop ($$$). Then I had an idea, the Corvair adapters are no longer available, but Trans-Dapt makes oil filter bypass adapters for Fords, #1013 for the straight out adapter and #1413 for the 90° adapter. Now for part “B” of my plan. Clark's sells a spin-on filter adapter that allows the use of a Ford oil filter on a Corvair. Screw the Trans-Dapt adapter onto the Clark's adapter and bodda-bing, a Corvair remote oil filter adapter. For my application, the 90° adapter was the choice, and the 90° adapter has two threaded holes for the inlet and 2 threaded holes for the outlet. I can use one set of holes for my remote oil filter and use the other two holes for an oil pressure or oil temperature sending unit or gauge connection. One of the problems with the original original Corvair oil filter adapter and this adapter as well was how to change the fan belt. When you take off the fan belt, it is wrapped around the oil hoses. One solution is to route the oil hoses up to the top of the engine and under the fan belt, but there isn't much clearance between the shroud and the fan belt. I chose to route it over the fan belt and so I need to remove the oil filter bolt and drop the adapter down to get the fan belt off. I get the fan belt off and down around the stock oil filter mount, then I use a 1 gallon zip-lock bag or other thick plastic bag and pull it up over the adapter assembly, remove the bolt letting the adapter drop into the bag and wait for the oil to finish dripping into the bag. The move the adapter out of the way, take the old belt off, put the new belt around the stock oil filter mount and reinstall the oil adapter. It's a little messy, but not too bad. I've started using Kevlar fan belts, so they don't need changing all that often and I have yet to snap one. I have pictures posted.
Attachments
Top View
Top View
Bottom View
Bottom View
Close to the harmonic balancer, but not still clear
Close to the harmonic balancer, but not still clear
More clearance if mounted this way, note the proximity to the engine mount
More clearance if mounted this way, note the proximity to the engine mount
miniman82

Re: Corvair remote oil filter adapter

Post by miniman82 »

Get a 90* adapter from an A/C equipped car, it'll flip everything so it clears to the left. I have a spare in the garage, PM if interested.
Click it!
BudShort

Post by BudShort »

The 90° AC adapter is good to use if you have either the Trans-Dapt 1013 or the rare-as-hens-teeth original Corvair bypass adapter. With the Trans-Dapt 1413, you get the 90° angle change with the bypass adapter and don't need to use the AC adapter. For my particular application on the Avenger GT-15, I don't have the clearance behind the engine to allow use of the AC adapter. I even needed to rotate the adapter such that it was close to the harmonic balancer to get enough clearance to the Avenger tail section. Picture is one of those original don't-exist-anymore Corvair bypass adapters on a 90° AC adapter.
Attachments
Oil_Filter_Adapter.JPG
Oil_Filter_Adapter.JPG (14.32 KiB) Viewed 848 times
BudShort

Post by BudShort »

Update - - - Clark's has discontinued selling the spin-on filter adapter. Glad I got mine while they were still available.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”