The Hunt For a viable Vair

All Models and Years
ron l

Re: The Hunt For a viable Vair

Post by ron l »

When you started this thread you were willing to pay at least $1500, is that right? $500 into this car and you're looking at unbelievable amounts of labor. I don't know your skill level and experience with body repair but if all you've got is $500 and lots of tools and time or a body shop connection then sure, but if you have more cash than that and new to bodywork I'd keep looking. For a straight rust-free body that "only" needs paint you're still many many hours and hundreds of dollars in tools and expendables away from a paint job. If you've never restored a rusty car before I would certainly steer away from this one. Every bolt you take off and every panel you sand down will reveal something else you didn't expect. I'm siding with terribleted here, not the best starting point for a resto. Fiberglass and Rustoleum can stretch your dollar a long way if you just want a beater, nothing wrong with that.

When I bought my car I thought I'd save by getting one that just needs paint. Now that my driveway (and half my wardrobe) is caked with primer sanding dust I'm wishing I spent the extra grand for the painted cars I passed on.
Jason R

Post by Jason R »

Im happy with a beater lol as long as it gets me to pint a to point b.The body is pretty traight no dents in it at all.just a few holes i can fix easily.the decklid on the fronts probably going to get tossed or maybe ill take it apart and use it for patch material.

and i know i was looking for a nice one but as ive gone through what i can sell for cash this is all i can really afford.And with work being near and far between this seems like a perfect canidate seeing as its almost all there.That way I have something to occupy myself on days im not out jobhunting

Ive taken apart rusty cars before and i know waht im getting into lol.Ive had a few what the? moments when diving into a car.

I love doing body work its a hobby of mine to learn it and ive been wanting to learn alot of the skills(i can do it but i want to refine it on somethin of mine)i dont mind clothes caked with primer dust or metal shavings.i sorta love it lol.Im a pretty skilled mechanic and a decent welder.And ive tinkered with engines my whole life.Transmissions are a new thing.if anything comes out of it ill rebuild the extra subframe into a buggy lol.

I have plenty of tools and i have i have plenty of friends in the autobody biz,im perfectly happy with a sort of bleh body as long as its solid.i sorta like that patina look. As long as the mechanics are good im happy.
Owner of a 65 Monza 110,getting ready to be built up:-D
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

4carbcorvair wrote:
Jason R wrote:VIN tag means
Monza 900 series
Coupe
Willow Run
60252nd car off the line

Body Tag is so far harder lol
900 coupe 0927
Alanta GA? 12A
Black Trim-712
Palamore Red 948
6CYL 2
Bucket Seats 8
Leather 7
Spyder 2
Vinyl 6

does that seem right?
927, Monza coupe
12A, production date, December, first week.
712, Black interior
948, red
The other numbers, I'm not sure what you have going on. Than you ask about 2HM in the ACC line. 2 would be the designation for group 2, H would be 'heater delete'. M would be 'powerglide'.

Do you have any pictures of the body tag?
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Below is the tag for my 64 Spyder. Note the Style- 0627 (Spyder coupe). In my ACC line, 2 for group 2. L for '4 speed'. P for 'Comfort and convienence group' (2 speed wipers, day/night mirror and back up lights), S for rear antenna, 3 for group 3, and C for 'padded dash'.

Dirigo Corvair group.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Jason R wrote:so i cant just pull out the entire rear sub frame and install it in the back of the 64? what challeges would that be is it worth it? whats the diffrence between the LM/EM susps?
Nope it will not mount at all. Subframing is different, Late is wider, Late uses 1/2 shafts instead of solid axles, late diff and trans are different, Late uses trailing arms early uses a arms...etc...etc. Interior and wiring items are all different as well (front seats being the exception).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jason R

Post by Jason R »

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... be%20mine/
Thats the enitre album

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... CF6341.jpg
thats the body tag

Hmm so that would mean building something to attach to the car.I do like EM susp more. It would be just a more fun project lol but that would be soemthing i would do later on.
ron l

Post by ron l »

Right on, then. Good luck! I'd go the beater route as well and learn as you go fixing pieces here and there. The car is a good candidate for such a project.
Jason R wrote:Im happy with a beater lol as long as it gets me to pint a to point b.The body is pretty traight no dents in it at all.just a few holes i can fix easily.the decklid on the fronts probably going to get tossed or maybe ill take it apart and use it for patch material.

and i know i was looking for a nice one but as ive gone through what i can sell for cash this is all i can really afford.And with work being near and far between this seems like a perfect canidate seeing as its almost all there.That way I have something to occupy myself on days im not out jobhunting

Ive taken apart rusty cars before and i know waht im getting into lol.Ive had a few what the? moments when diving into a car.

I love doing body work its a hobby of mine to learn it and ive been wanting to learn alot of the skills(i can do it but i want to refine it on somethin of mine)i dont mind clothes caked with primer dust or metal shavings.i sorta love it lol.Im a pretty skilled mechanic and a decent welder.And ive tinkered with engines my whole life.Transmissions are a new thing.if anything comes out of it ill rebuild the extra subframe into a buggy lol.

I have plenty of tools and i have i have plenty of friends in the autobody biz,im perfectly happy with a sort of bleh body as long as its solid.i sorta like that patina look. As long as the mechanics are good im happy.
Jason R

Post by Jason R »

well i guess i wont be getting the 65.they scrapped that on me><
But i have a friend who runs a scrapyard.ill go there and salvage what I can from a few cars.any reccomendations on front and rear seats?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Jason R wrote:http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... be%20mine/
Thats the enitre album

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... CF6341.jpg
thats the body tag

Hmm so that would mean building something to attach to the car.I do like EM susp more. It would be just a more fun project lol but that would be soemthing i would do later on.
Yes you would have do some fairly involved fabrication to mount the lat stuff in the early car. I am contemplating doing just that in a Lakewood eventually, but, I have not gone as far as really looking at what I will do ot any measuring etc.. Narrowing the 1/2 shafts (rear axles) a little on each side would be necessary to do what I want to do (which includes going very low on air suspension), and might be necessary at a more standard height as well ideally.

The late suspension is a big improvement over the early design in my opinion. Camber changes under cornering loads are much less and provide much better handling.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Jason R

Post by Jason R »

if i did taht itd be a 1-2 in drop.but i cant now seein as they took the car and scrapped it saying i wasnt involved enough in the car>< But I do agree on that.Is that second motor and trans,what is it im not sure if its LM or EM personally.I think its an LM setup cause of the halfshalfts
But ill be on the look out in the yards i visit for that stuff.Ive got a ton of stuff for sale too PM if you want a list of what it is lol.
As for the dash,i still want to pull it and install a LM dash.how can I go about doing that? I dont like the gauges on the EM vairs theyre pretty boring to me.I love the Corsa and Spyder gauges. As for the interior i was wondering what seats work best and what fit well.

Im just wondeinr have any of you parents ever put your kids car seat in a Corvair?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Jason R wrote: As for the dash,i still want to pull it and install a LM dash.how can I go about doing that? I dont like the gauges on the EM vairs theyre pretty boring to me.I love the Corsa and Spyder gauges. As for the interior i was wondering what seats work best and what fit well.
Now this would be a big undertaking. The only realistic way I see would be to graft the entire late model dash steel structure into early body so you have a place to mount the instrument components. You would have to narrow the late dash a considerably. I just measured the distance from an early steering column to the edge of the dash to the door it is about 12.5 inches. The distance from the center of the late instrument cluster insert left edge to the center of the cutout that sits over the column is just over 13 inches. It will not be possible to mount the gauges centered over the column. Another possible problem is that the late dash is a lot deeper (measured from base of windshield to rear edge of dash by steering wheel) than the early. It would therefore have to be made less deep (but you will run out of clearance behind the dash quickly) or possibly moving steering wheel and seats rearward slightly for a better fit? If you do that the maybe the pedals need to move back also? Would be more feasible to remake the existing dash to accept some nice street rod gauges I think.

A 1962-64 Spyder cluster is a bolt in, in the early body.

Jason R

Post by Jason R »

Yeah seems like a big job.I like the LM gauge boxes but im not sure if theyd work or not.the only gauge that im really comcered is oil psi and speed.but i do like havign a very functional dash.

I was thinking Jeep seats actually.they have to move pretty far to allow you in the back.i just like my ajustabe head rest.The only thing im not sure on is the rear seat.

I may have to build an anchor system for my sons car seat so that way he can enjoy the car too(lol i was watching corvair videos and he was smiling at the sounds i think lol)
Jason R

Post by Jason R »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1711589264

Thats what id love to make fit that 64..is it possible>
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

As mentioned, you would have to cut out the LM steel dash/structure and install it in the EM. IIRC, the EM's interior is narrower than a LM. Wouldn't be able to use a LM dash pad without upholstry modifications.

Dirigo Corvair group.
Jason R

Post by Jason R »

the interior is shot anyways lol i dont mind experimenting and being diffrent.i was thinking maybe build something of my own to fit.

Yknow This is to the wind but i do have acess to a wood working shop...i could build something like a woodend panel to go over it?

OK with this Vair what will be first on my To-Do list to make it run and bring it home? Im probably gonna have to trailer it home for safty reasons.
Jason R

Post by Jason R »

OK I think i know what im gonna have to do

Yank the carbs and the shroud
Ajust the tires PSi
battery

thats all o can think of atm

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”