My free PG..

All Models and Years
C. Alan

My free PG..

Post by C. Alan »

Over the weekend, I was fortunate to pick up a pair of free power glide transmissions and an engine. I have not dropped the pans on the transmissions yet, but I do know that at least one of them still has fluid in it. Both of them were stored outside, and all of the non-aluminum metals are covered with surface rust.

I expect the PG will be ok to run with just a new pressure diaphram, but I am wondering about the torque converter. Are there any parts inside of it that would not hold up to long term storage?
tranny 1.jpg
The engine is a 102, but it does not turn, so It may end up being a boat anchor. I am going to start soaking the cyliners in ATF tonight, and I hope I can turn it over by the end of the week.
Tehachapi, California
'61 Lakewood Wagon, white, 80hp with a PG.
"There are two things the public should never see being made: Laws and Sausage."
Otto Von Bismark
Jason R

Re: My free PG..

Post by Jason R »

if im not mistaken autos thend to have bands in them,they might not hold up if its anything other than metal,also check for water.I would soak everything in ATF or Mystery Oil before you open the cases up.Punk Buster works so well.Ive used that to free up all sorts of things on my 89 Silverado.If the trannys are the same year you can cannibalize it.ive done that,take the best parts of both trans and build one good one.

as for the motor,id open up the bottem end and pull the plugs if possible then soak it.id also change the fluid every few days and rotate it every day.then it should free up.i just say rotate it so you can get and particles to fall out.
Owner of a 65 Monza 110,getting ready to be built up:-D
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

WooHoo! Allen way to go! I LOVE FREE Corvair stuff!
I'm not sure about the Torque converters. I honestly don't have much tranny experience so I couldn't say. :dontknow:
But I am very excited for you. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

>>>>but I am wondering about the torque converter. Are there any parts inside of it that would not hold up to long term storage?<<<<

I think that the converter would be fine as long as it had fluid in it when it was stored and it most likely did .

Rust on the sealing surface of the snout would be my only concern and you'll be able to see that.
Attachments
clone 13.jpg
clone 13.jpg (38.55 KiB) Viewed 392 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”