removing heads without removing engine

All Models and Years
car barn

removing heads without removing engine

Post by car barn »

Hi guys,
New guy here and kinda' new to Corvairs. I have a 1960 that I want to remove the heads but I don't want to drop the engine.
Is that possible? What steps should I take.
Thanks
pormgb

Re: removing heads without removing engine

Post by pormgb »

Its really not hard to pull the motor, I just done my highly modified turbo motor in about three hours. With the motor removed you will have much better access to work on the heads and to check other parts like flywheel and clutch, all you need is 4 large jack stands and a ATV Jack, its also nice to have a regular jack that can lift the car quite high.

Take a look at this link.

http://iisautomotive.blogspot.com/2009/ ... nsion.html
Attachments
IMG_1832.jpg
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

On an Early model I think that you will need to lower the rear of the engine with a jack but you do not have to completely remove the engine to remove the heads.

Here's a short video with a few pointers that may help.

Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You can certainly remove the heads with the engine in the car. You do have to lower the motor at the rear mount a considerable amount. There is alot of stuff you must remove leaning over the rear panel as well as from underneath. Be sure to disconnect any wiring, fuel lines, linkages (clutch, accelerator, shifter) that will bind bend or break when lowering the engine. The long carb mounting studs should be removed for better clearance as well. I would suggest that if you are pulling both heads you should strongly consider just dropping the engine or the whole powertrain as a unit and servicing the engine out of the car (yes the engine can be removed without pulling the transaxle tho I prefer to just drop the entire unit especially on standard trans cars (clutch spline alignment is easier not lying under the car)). You get much better access to everything, and much less bending and frustration. Cleaner as well. Good luck.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
car barn

Post by car barn »

Thanks for the info guys.
I'll most likely pull the whole motor. I've never pulled one before so it should be fun.
I've read about the Fitch cart and will most likely go that route. So after the power pack is removed and is sitting on the cart do I need to get it on an engine stand somehow to pull the heads off?
SAHD JOAT MMFFC

Post by SAHD JOAT MMFFC »

No, You don't have to have the engine on a stand to remove the heads. I do most of my engine work on a tall, rolling bench.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Heck most of the work can be done with the engine sitting on the bellhousing end on the floor:) Can do everything except service the bellhousing gasket and seal and remove the crank and camshaft this way. A couple 4x4's on the floor work good for me when the bellhousing is removed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”