Another Newbie here with a few questions

All Models and Years
cartmanchevy

Another Newbie here with a few questions

Post by cartmanchevy »

Hi everyone! I am very new to Corvair engines, and new to this forum. Even though I am new, Corvair cars and engines have always fascinated me. I am currently finishing up a Baja Bug, and I recently picked up a Corvair engine to install into it for a decent power upgrade. It also seems much easier to rebuild than the stock VW motor. The engine is a 1963 145 CI. It is complete down to the carbs, generator, and air filter, and I only paid $50 for it, so I couldn't turn it down. My question is, it a 145 CI worth it, or should I find a 164 CI instead? My goal is to build one of these engines to approximately 200 hp or maybe a little more, and have it reliable on the street as a potential daily driver. Is this attainable with a 145? I know a turbo will help. I believe the engine originally didn't come with a turbo, but it can always be added. Can you bore and stroke it to a larger size? I don't have much difficulty in finding rebuild kits, but when it comes to performance parts, I am having a bit more trouble finding them. I did order the book of How to Hotrod Corvair engines, and that should be here any day now. I want to make it as modern as possible with electronic igniotion, and a more modern turbocharger if possible. I hope I am not way off in my goals, and any information would greatly help. Thanks in advance everyone! :ty:
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Another Newbie here with a few questions

Post by Scott H »

The differences in the 145cid to 164cid is mostly the crank. The 145 can be made into 164 but you'll have to grind some clearances in the block so that the larger crank will clear. It's very doable.

You might also look into putting the 94mm VW jugs/pistons on it and making it into 3100cc big bore motor.

Adding modern ignition and turbo's etc is an attainable goal. Have a look around there are several people on here with experience in doing just what you are talking about.

This car is in the current Corvair of the Month contest. It belongs to J.M.

Phill Dally has a Turbo Landspeed car on here, also miniman82 is a die hard turbo guy with allot of knowledge too.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
cartmanchevy

Re: Another Newbie here with a few questions

Post by cartmanchevy »

Thank you very much for the information. I am very relieved that I can make my 145 into a 164. The 94mm VW jugs sounds like a great idea! Do they fit perfectly on the studs? Is there anyone recommended for machining these engines? I don't think there are many resources for Corvairs in Minneapolis, but I'm sure a local machine shop could easily handle it. By the way, that car of the month pic is absolutely awesome! That's the type of setup I'm looking for. I wish there was a parts list of everything needed to complete and modify the motor with a newer more powerful turbo, and modern accessories, custom camshaft, carbs, etc. but that could make it too easy, lol. Anyways, thanks again for your help.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”