EASY QUESTION

All Models and Years
AliO

EASY QUESTION

Post by AliO »

Easy question for ya'll.... I'm trouble shooting a tail light issue- my outside rear lights are ALWAYS ON. If I've got my battery hooked up, they are on.

Here's the question:

Are the outside rear lights the lights that get brighter when you step on the brakes? (that doesn't happen when I step on the brakes)

And are the inside rear lights only on when you put it in reverse?

Thanks a bunch!
turnert7696

Re: EASY QUESTION

Post by turnert7696 »

I had the same problem. Check grounds, and pull the bulbs out, clean the sockets and put them back in. Make sure they're in all the way.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Yes and yes !
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Your brake light switch is stuck or not adjusted correctly, OR your brake pedal height is not adjusted correctly, Try pulling up on the brake pedal and see if the lights go out.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Well actually, the outside rear lights have a dual filament bulb, so they do 2 duties, brake lights and taillights. They will be dimly lit with the parking lights/headlights on.......and more brightly lit when the brakes are applied. You can almost tell by looking at the brightness if it's the brake stop light filament lit vs. the taillight circuit.

Sounds like the brake lights if nothing happens when you step on the brake pedal.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: Do the rear turn signals work? The bright filament in each 1157 bulb serves as both the brake and turn signal. The circuit is the same from the bulb socket to the steering column. The thing that changes is the voltage source. With the turn signal lever in neutral (off), power to both rear bulbs is routed from the brake pedal switch, through the turn signal switch, and on to the rear bulb bright filaments. When the driver moves the lever to indicate a turn, the bulb on the selected side is temporarily disconnected from the brake light switch at the brake pedal, and is then connected to the turn signal flasher (located at the fuse block). At the same time, the front 1157 bulb on the selected side is also connected to the circuit, so that both the front and rear 1157 bulbs on the selected turn side are tied to the flasher — which provides intermittent flashing voltage. (The opposite 1157 bulb on the other rear side remains tied to the brake pedal switch, so that it will show the status of brake application to drivers following the vehicle. Only the side selected to indicate a turn is temporarily disconnected from the brake pedal switch for the duration of the turn, while it receives power from the flasher).

If both the front and rear 1157 bulbs are not in the turn signal circuit, the flasher may not function properly. The flasher relay must "see" a proper current load provided by two bulb filaments (front and rear) for the electro-mechanical relay to cycle properly between ON and OFF. With an incorrect bulb load (as with a faulty socket ground or a burned-out filament in the bulb) the flasher relay may either hang and not flash at all, or it may flash af a faster than normal rate.

The instrument panel turn signal indicator bulbs are wired to the FRONT bulb circuits on their respective sides.

If the rear brake lights are on continuously, but function properly as turn signal bulbs when the turn signal lever is activated, the brake pedal switch is likely jammed or adjusted incorrectly, so that the switch is closed and applying 12V DC to the turn signal switch inside the steering column continuously. The brake pedal switch is fed power continuously from the battery circuit, regardless of the position of the ignition key. This allows the brake lights to function, even if the key is off.

:chevy:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
AliO

Post by AliO »

Well, after pulling all bulbs, cleaning grounds, checking wiring, cleaning fuse boxes.. etc etc.

I looked at the brake pedal, and yes, it had loosened up and wasn't pushing the button to turn off the lights. It took me 5 minutes to fix once identified.

Lesson learned- CHECK THE OBVIOUS STUFF FIRST! hahahaha

Thanks for all the help!
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks for the follow up :not worthy:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”