Mix and match car, help!

All Models and Years
Hagar

Mix and match car, help!

Post by Hagar »

New guy here, only 'vair I ever had was a Crown...so this engine in the back is new to me!

Car is a '67 500, was told the engine is a '63. I'm trying to get it running. First problem, no battery cables! From pics I've seen, looks like the ground bolts down near the alternator, then a strap from there to the engine. There's a really thin looks-like-a-battery-cable-maybe that has the end cut off, and runs forward thru the bulkhead. (see first pic).

I'm thinking that is/was the positive cable, and that thinner wire next to it was originally connected at the terminal, yes?

Next, obviously the '67 had an alternator, what kind of brackets do I have here? (see second and third pics)

Do I have the right brackets for an alternator? I can't figure out how they mount.

Thanks for any help.
JC
67 500 Coupe | 65 Crown parts car | 69 GTO | 51 Ford 8N | 56 Ford 850 | 85 Honda Nighthawk 700S | 96 Honda XR250R
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Mix and match car, help!

Post by Scott H »

You are correct on the wires, those are both to the positive side of the battery.
You have all of the parts needed to attache the alternator. The Corvair (specific) alternator has two bolts on the bottom then that brace goes from the ground to the sub frame.
Attachments
101_0807.JPG
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Mine may look slightly different as I have converted it to an internally regulated alternator. I had to use the Corvair housing as the mounts and fan are Corvair specific.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Hagar

Post by Hagar »

Thanks a lot, Scott!

Let me ask you this, looks like your ground cable is bolted down with the alt bracket...is there also a ground strap from engine to frame?
67 500 Coupe | 65 Crown parts car | 69 GTO | 51 Ford 8N | 56 Ford 850 | 85 Honda Nighthawk 700S | 96 Honda XR250R
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Yes there is a ground strap as well.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
ron l

Post by ron l »

These are "old" pics (I've only had the car 2 weeks) so they aren't very specific, hope they help you some.
The big cable going through the firewall attaches to the starter. The engine to chassis ground straps on mine are on the passenger side. You can sort of see one above the right carb.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

The large wire that goes forward to the starter is the positive cable. The smaller wire that attaches to the plastic insert on the frame rail is also positive and both go to the positive post.

The negative cable goes to the alternator support bracket and a smaller wire grounds to the frame near the battery.

They used star washers to maintain a good connection.

The wires that meet at the plastic (pos) connector on the frame can cause problems and I'd recommend cleaning all of them with a wire brush to make sure you get a good connection.

I'm not sure if you have a generator mount or an alt mount myself. The brace that you show a pic of goes from a bolt hole on the back of the alt to a nearby large shroud bolt. It's not that important and I run my car without it
Attachments
927.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Hagar

Post by Hagar »

Thanks to all, got it running! Got a core alternator, and a $38 parts store unit, and made one good Corvair unit. Carbs definitely need to be rebuilt, but I need to clean the gas tank....and the car didn't come with any keys >:-[ so I can't get the locking gas cap off, or get to the master cylinder so I can fix the brakes. Joy!
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

>>>>>and the car didn't come with any keys >:-[ so I can't get the locking gas cap off, or get to the master cylinder so I can fix the brakes. Joy!<<<<

No help on removing the gas cap but getting into the trunk isn't too hard. Remove the headlight trim and then remove the bucket that the headlights sit in. Once the bucket is removed (about 6or8 screws) you can reach in and open the trunk with a screwdriver.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Hagar

Post by Hagar »

Sweet! Thanks again!
Hagar

Post by Hagar »

Sho 'nuf, got the trunk open! Shined a flashlight around before reaching in for the latch (expected to find large yellow jacket nests!), but the worst I found up front was evidence of bondo (squeezing through puller holes), and an empty master cylinder with about 3/16" of sludge in the bottom.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”