remove glue from a cars paint

All Models and Years
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

remove glue from a cars paint

Post by indianalakewood1961 »

Is there a way to remove glue from a car without hurting the paint ? I dripped some on a beretta while trying to glue back a piece of trim.. any ideas?
terribleted

Re: remove glue from a cars paint

Post by terribleted »

Goo Be Gone maybe (it is a product name). Different solvents can be used. There may be a specific sovent for the type of glue. The proper solvent for the type of glue is your best bet, but dont go crazy with it might hurt the paint? If it is super glue there is certainly a specific solvent sold to remove it (I have used super glue removers before, but not on an exterior painted surface that I can remember so test it carefully before getting too crazy. Other glues need more or less strong solvents to soften them for removal. If the car is painted with catalyzed paints (factory paint jobs have been for many years) even lacquer thinner will not significantly damage the paint (Of course when using a solvent on a painted surface go slowly and stop if you see discoloration or color on your rag etc (most cars are clear-coated so just because you do not see color does not mean that your not removing paint). Start with weaker solvents (grease and wax remover, alchohol, even gasoline perhaps) and move to stronger ones.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
jendra

Post by jendra »

indianalakewood1961 wrote:Is there a way to remove glue from a car without hurting the paint ? I dripped some on a beretta while trying to glue back a piece of trim.. any ideas?

I think you can have to use some raw material..

One side PE treated papers, another side PVC films.
use protection against moisturizer.air born, pollutant.
width:914mm,1,070mm
Length:50 also made.
Thickness: surface(PVC):60um.
Pad paper:80/sq.m
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

3m adhesive remover will remove most glues without hurting the paint.

Some paint prep sol cleaners may also work.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”