Generator Options

All Models and Years
joefarmer

Generator Options

Post by joefarmer »

Pulled the generator off the 1964 Monza this past weekend. I've got a bad armature and the insulation on the field coils is shot to pieces. I have two options: rebuild from California Corvair ($210) or buying the parts from Clarks and rebuilding myself ($160). Which should I do and why?

Not really interested in doing an alternator swap. An alternator in an EM looks strange to me....
Attachments
cali.png
clark.png
Jerry Whitt

Re: Generator Options

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Many local auto parts stores may have a generator available. Local prices vary greatly !

Your statement about a bad armature might be in error. Usually polishing the edges where the brushes slide will help. Then using a cutter of some kind
to clear the spaces between the segments will work pretty good.

The paper insulation on the field coils usually looks really bad, but by trimming it away is all that is necessary. You can test the coils with an ohm meter to make sure there are no broken segments and check to make sure they are not grounded to the case.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You might get lucky with a DIY rebuild, BUT -- after all these years it's best to find a good auto electric shop to test and rebuild the generator. They can test the armature and field coils with equipment just not available to the average person.

If you don't have a good electrical shop in the area, then the next best thing is a rebuild from a auto parts chain - at least you can exchange it if it doesn't work well.

Years ago I rebuilt several starters with a tool borrowed from a club member - a "growler" that can test the armature for shorts. Sadly he passed and the family sent all his stuff to the DUMP!!!
bmwtodd1

Post by bmwtodd1 »

I have a couple around. I have the growler and am experienced with generators. If you want I will look and see if one is good, and you can have it, just pay shipping. My email is brittsandbeemers@cableone.net.
64 Monza Convertible
61 Loadside
66 Mustang Fastback
54 ea BMW motorcycles
1 TR6 Special Competition Triumph
32d Free Mason, Scottish Rite Mason
dave t

Post by dave t »

I took an old generator to an old non-chain auto parts store. The guy's there know their stuff. They got me a generator for a 57 Chevy. I took it home and swapped the end plate to the corvair one. Worked great.
Don't forget to polarize the generator every time the battery is disconnected. The shop manual shows you how.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is some additional info on polarizing a generator system...
bbodie52 wrote:If you have a generator-based charging system, this information applies...

CHARGING SYSTEM (GENERATOR TYPE ONLY)

Whenever the battery is disconnected from the vehicle for any reason the polarization procedure should be performed.

The recommendation on how to polarize a charging system is the following: After the installation of a battery, generator or voltage regulator follow these procedures. The terminals on the voltage regulator are labeled with letters and this is where you will do the polarizing procedure. Both of the components will have battery power so do not start the vehicle or turn on the ignition switch before polarizing them. You will need a small piece of wire fourteen or sixteen gauge with alligator clips on the ends. Find the "Batt" terminal on the regulator and attach one of the alligator clips, find the "Armature" terminal and touch the terminal with the other alligator clip. You can touch the terminals a few times and it will produce a soft light spark.

:nono: Under no circumstances touch the "Field" terminal or any other part of the regulator or you could damage the regulator.

:link: http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/vir ... 13475.html

What you want to do is polarize the generator. If in fact it ran with reverse polarity, everything should be fine after this process. You should not have damaged anything yet.

With key off, use a piece of 14 gage or larger wire to jump between the battery and armature terminals of the voltage regulator. I am at work without a shop manual, so I forget the actual writing on the terminals. BUT, it is the top and middle terminal on Corvairs (with the regulator mounted stock position, red wires on top terminal).

It will spark! Hold for 1 or 2 seconds. The wire may also get warm, be prepared.

Start engine again and check for red light going out.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO POLARIZE A NEW GENERATOR BY FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES IN THE CORVAIR SHOP MANUAL. THIS PROCEDURE IS DESCRIBED ON PAGE 8-18 OF THE ATTACHED SHOP MANUAL SECTION. This polarizing procedure applies ONLY to vehicles equipped with a GENERATOR. It does not apply to vehicles equipped with an alternator.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joefarmer

Post by joefarmer »

Fellas - Thanks so much for the help. A few comments:

1. Thanks Jerry. So, the armature is bad not because of wiring, but because the threads are pulled off of the pulley end. Went in to replace the bearing and ended up pulling all the threads off of the stud trying to get the pulley nut off.... bad luck I guess.... or inexperience haha

2. I've cleaned and checked the field coils per the shop manual and I think I'll go with it. Also, I don't even want to try and get those side screws out. They look like they have become one with the gen casing.

3. bmwtodd1 - you're what makes this forum great. Just when I think I'm going to have to drop a lot of cash on a simple fix, this forum comes to the rescue! I will be emailing you shortly. Thanks so much!!!

4. bbodie52 - Thanks again for your help on this. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on this subject. Will tie a string around my finger to remind me to polarize when the gen goes back into service.

New plan is to get an armature, clean up everything around the field coils, put in a rebuild kit from clarks (bearing, brushes, etc), polarize, and driver-ize this Vair!!

Thanks to everyone!!!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You stripped the armature threads --- If I recall correctly - Corvair generators had reverse threads (clockwise to remove nut). Turning the nut CCW to remove it would strip the threads as that would be tightening it on a Corvair. Corvair generators AND alternators turn opposite to all other GM cars and yes the cooling fans on them are different.

BTW - the Corvair alternators used standard threads for the fan/pulley nut - and yes they do come loose if they are not tightened adequately. A fellow in our club had that happen.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

You need a shop manual. See page 8-11 of the 61 manual for taking the generator apart. It highlights the left handed thread.

Now, if the generator happened to be repaired back in the 70s 80s, and the armature was bad, then the shaft might have a right hand thread nut. This is because there were so many more used right hand thread armatures sitting around generator repair shops in those days. Or, someone swapped in a 57 Chevy unit, like mentioned above. So, either way, always try BOTH ways on a Corvair generator nut to be sure! :tu:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”