Heater Fog

All Models and Years
lalkie

Heater Fog

Post by lalkie »

I have replaced the O-rings, valve cover seals and the oil cooler seals a while back and hotsey-ed off and cleaned everyting around the cylinders, exhaust manifolds and valve covers. Everything is clean and was not leaking or blowing any smoke, exhaust fumes or smells inside the car when I ran the heater and new blower motor. I recently replaced the 3-heater hoses under the car and replaced the seals for the tin work under the car.
I am now getting a mist on the windshield when I use the defroster. It seems to fog up the windhshield in a spot about 6-inches in diameter. I have not been able to find any exhaust leaks and all other heater joints appear sealed. Any ideas on what it could be. I may have to pull the exhaust manifods and replace the seals but was hoping some one had other fixes. Thanks Larry
Attachments
IMG_0614.JPG
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Heater Fog

Post by UNSAFE »

It may just be water trapped in the duct and if so it will eventually dry up .

Often if you drive thru a puddle in a Vair the windshield will fog up.
Attachments
$_57f.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah i would think its just moisture in the heating system
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

The thought of water trapped in the system certainly fits the symptoms. One previous note suggests that going through a water puddle will cause the windows to fog.

Actually, that can be prevented. Clarks has seal kits for under the engine that will prevent water from getting into the air cooling system. Its a little work, but then you don't have to put up with the steam on the windshield.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Until I saw you are ASE certified I was going to suggest a water leak from the heater core. ::-): ::-):
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again
Hulkster Gets a Diesel
Zonker Gets Race Motor
Gem is Still my Favorite
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Now
Been Associated With Fifty+
Former Owner of SuperVair
lalkie

Post by lalkie »

I put foam seals on the tin work around the heater. I will look at clarks to see if it is the same thing. I have also put a fancy plate over the vents to help block. that may be a little extreme but i will see if it helps. I appreciate the feedback I get from this site. larry :wave: :wave:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”