Aftermarket steering wheel

All Models and Years
NorwayCorvair
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Aftermarket steering wheel

Post by NorwayCorvair »

So im wondering if im gonna change my original 61 steering wheel to a an aftermarket one.
Can i use the sets that goes from 1949-1966 steering wheel adapters?
Like one of the for an example? http://www.billetspecialties.com/steeri ... -polished/

Dont have an extra adapter laying around so its easier to just ask here :)
1961 Chevrolet Corvair 95 Loadside
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa
1967 Chevrolet Corvair
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Hardtop
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Aftermarket steering wheel

Post by bbodie52 »

The following link may answer some of your questions...

Steering wheels, columns, and boxes.

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/steering.html

As the above website states, "1960 to '63, '67 to '69, and all Forward Control vehicles use the common Chevy steering wheel spline that was used during the '60s and beyond". So most aftermarket steering wheel companies should produce wheels and adaptors that will fit your 1961 Corvair.

:link: http://www.grantproducts.com/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

Figures that my '64 had to be "special". But that's OK.. I think the original steering wheel is part of the charm of driving her.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:swerve: :confused: :sad: Don't be sad! You too can have a custom steering wheel in your 1964 Monza. You just have to buy an adaptor from a different source to fit your Grant custom wheel to your Corvair.

Hub adapters for 1964 and 1965-66 Corvairs

:link: http://wireset.com/products.aspx

Image Image Image
Seth Emerson wrote:The polished Aluminum adapters are two and a half inches tall, eliminating the need for spacers or adapters. They have the correct five-bolt pattern that allows the Grant Signature series wheel to bolt directly on. The hub-centric mounting assures a tight fit, and the adapter comes complete with a black horn button and wiring feed. Included, for the 1965-66 model, is a new plastic turn signal cancelling cam. The cam replaces the stock part which is no longer available. For the 1964 model, you can remove the original cam and re-install it on this adapter. These are a gorgeous piece of work, all made in the USA. The adapters allows you to choose from lots of different wheels, and makes the installation a breeze. The price for the adapter, including the cancelling cam and black horn button is $92.

The 1964-66 Corvair models use a special small Corvair-only spline for the steering shaft. The only other steering wheel adapter currently available is a remake of the original Grant/Superior Industries adapter from the 1960 There are a few drawbacks to the older adapter. Out of the box, it only fits the older style Grant wheels, including their Nostalgia series wheels. In order to make it usable with the more modern 5 or 6 bolt wheels, even Grant s, extra adapters must be used and aligned to adapt the newer models. It is also very short, which requires either longer arms for the driver or adapter spacers (much preferred). was seeking a more modern adapter for the very popular 65-66 Corvairs. It took a year of working together on these parts but they are now available. If you already have a Grant Signature Series wheel, this is all you would need. If you have a six-bolt wheel, such as a MOMO or a GM "Wood" Wheel, we now have the adapter available to fit these wheels and Grant now makes a very nice replica of the factory wheel. If you want to check out the selection of Grant wheels, look at their web site at http://www.grantproducts.com For pricing, you can always check http://www.summitracing.com or your local speed shop. I also sell the Grant wheels so check with me before you buy.
Seth Emerson
Silicone Wire Systems
3462 Kirkwood Dr.
San Jose, 95117-1549
E-Mail to: sethracer@aol.com
(408) 247-2237

Seth Emerson's Home.jpg
Seth Emerson's Corvair.jpg
Seth Emerson's Corvair.jpg (48.43 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Brad Bodie
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

:tu: Thanks Brad!

But honestly, I am truly enjoying the stock-ness of my 64 and am doing everything I can to keep the appearance as stock as possible while still adding some "mod-cons".

Already replaced the stock radio with a look alike that has iPod connections, blue-tooth, etc. Next is to re-do the package area and stick some hidden speakers back there so I get a little bit better sound.

I've changed out the points for electronic ignition and will soon be putting an alternator to replace the generator.

I've had the steering, suspension and brakes completely gone through and it drives tight and stops good now. Still have a few electronic glitches to fix and the AC to fit, but all in good time.

Loving my new Daily Driver and don't regret giving up the GLK350 at all!!!
:EMs Rule: :wrench:
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I really don't mind updating my 1966 Corsa and customizing it a bit. I want it to retain the look and feel of the original, but custom wheels and tires, Electronic Fuel Injection, modern electronics and sound system, and a custom steering wheel really doesn't bother me, and it makes the car more enjoyable to drive on long trips.

John Fitch didn't seem to mind adding a few custom attributes to the Fitch Sprint, so I have permitted myself a little custom work on my Corvair too!

Although I haven't installed it yet, I purchased a Grant wheel like the one below for my Corsa convertible. It has flatter spokes and a slightly smaller diameter, so it will permit a little more belly room too, which I can use! :whoa:

Brad Bodie
NorwayCorvair
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by NorwayCorvair »

Thanks for the fast answer :)

Then i will have a steering wheel and adapter in order this weekend :tu:
1967 Chevrolet Corvair
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
NorwayCorvair
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by NorwayCorvair »

Took a look at the steering parts tonight just to really check up on everything.
Two steering boxes followed the car, one in aluminum and one in steel. I talked to person that had the car i 1988 (when the car got startet tearing apart for a little bit restoration and welding (cross member).
He told me that i got a "new" steering box from America back in 88 because the one sitting on the car was broken.

Now that im starting looking at things i find the following:
#1: The aluminum one dont have anything in it.
#2: The one steering shaft (or what its called has been cut and missing about 15 centimeters of its length. (fits the steering wheel)
#3: The Shop Manual 1961 states that the "shaft" and steering box meets with a coupler (found in a box here).
#4: The steering shaft that is cut fits with the original steering wheel, the other dont fit (smaller spline)
#5: The steering shaft goes inside the steering box on the one that is "new box"

I put on some pictures here.
The Chilton book i have here only shows the steering box that has the shaft going into it, not one drawing shows the one with the coupler.

So my take and guess on it:
The aluminum one and the cut steering shaft and steering wheel is original to the car.
Since the "new" steering box has the shaft inside it (if thats allowed to say :neener: ) my only guess is that this steering box and shaft is for a 1964 since the steering wheel dont fit.
Agree guys?
And: Will this be a bolt on ?

And: Is the column the same for 60-64?

1967 Chevrolet Corvair
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:banghead: I read that twice and I have a headache now.

It sounds like you are saying that you are using a steering column shaft from a 1964 Corvair in your 1961. If the steering wheel spline is from a 1964-1966 Corvair, the adaptor you would need will probably need to be ordered from Seth Emerson to provide a proper match between the 1964 shaft and a Grant aftermarket steering wheel.

If the shaft is from a 1961-1963 or 1967-1969 Corvair, it would use a standard GM spline size and the Chevrolet adapter Grant sells should fit.

If you feel that the Seth Emerson adapter is needed, you might send an email to Seth Emerson with the above notes and pictures included and ask him to confirm that his adapter will do the job. Then you can order your desired steering wheel and the correct adapter for your car.

I don't think anyone has ever provided a good explanation why Chevrolet did what they did with Corvair steering columns in the middle of the ten year production cycle. It is one of the great mysteries of life.
:whoa:

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner. CORSA chapter locations, parts suppliers, and free technical guides, shop manuals and supplements,, etc. are included. Some of the references include original Chevrolet Corvair parts books, body manuals, assembly manuals, etc. that are free downloads in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format. The parts books list many Corvair part numbers, which may help in your research to identify some of the components with GM part numbers stamped on them.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Brad Bodie
NorwayCorvair
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by NorwayCorvair »

Sorry for giving you a headache :think:

I mean it more like a question. Is this a 64 or some other year column/steering box since it dont have the coupler system thats in my 61 Corvair Shop manual?
And will it fit the car with no modifications and is the steering column the same for all 60-64 years?

Nice to know if i need to buy these parts for a 61 to get these things to fit.
First Corvair and some things i just dont know :wave:
1967 Chevrolet Corvair
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
NorwayCorvair
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by NorwayCorvair »