1961 Corvair rear brake cylinder

All Models and Years
MissouriMule

1961 Corvair rear brake cylinder

Post by MissouriMule »

How do I go about removing the rear brake cylinder from my 1961 Corvair?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1961 Corvair rear brake cylinder

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: :wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

The procedure is covered well in the shop manual on page 5-12. I have attached a copy of that section of the 1961 Corvair Shop Manual for your information. If you don't have a copy of the shop manual, it, and many other technical references, can be downloaded for free in Adobe Reader format. See the link below...

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Replacement brake system components can be found on the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog. Click on the link below to go to the actual starting page, and then click on any part number for specific part pricing, availability, and ordering information.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=143

If the brake fluid is more than a few years old, it is a good idea to flush the system and replace with fresh brake fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water from the air. If your wheel cylinder shows signs of rust, pitting and corrosion, similar damage may be present in the steel brake lines, all four wheel cylinders, and the master cylinder.

Please let us know if you run into any specific problems. Since you are new to the Forum, I would like to suggest that you post an entry in the Introductions section. Corvair Forum members like to be helpful and supportive, but knowing something about you would help us when writing a response. For example, a brief Corvair-related biography that tells us something about yourself, your background and interest in Corvairs, your location, and your personal assessment of your mechanical skills, abilities, and knowledge helps us to form more-meaningful answers to your questions. Some pictures of your Corvair, the interior and engine compartment are also interesting and helpful. All of this information helps to improve communication over the Internet.
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes
(923.04 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 1961 Corvair rear brake cylinder

Post by UNSAFE »

How do I go about removing the rear brake cylinder from my 1961 Corvair?
Using caution not to twist the line or round off the flare nut disconnect the brake line .

Using caution not to round off the two bolts that attach the cylinder from the backside - remove the bolts .

Assembly is reverse of removal .

Bleed the lines and you're done.
Attachments
1960_3.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”