Do we have too many Categories?

Let us know how we can make this site better.
Scott H
Site Admin

Do we have too many Categories?

Post by Scott H »

I recently made a significant change to the site. I think it was a good change, however the MOD I did is turned off for now, not because the shock factor it caused but because it wasn't working correctly. The shock of it did make me realize that I'd like to get the opinions the major contributors here in any significant changes to be made. I wanted to PM the major contributors personally but there are too many of you. lol ::-): So I'll just let the entire member collectively have their say. :tu:

I have grand visions for our site, but for now, I'd like to try to address the one complaint I have heard a few times. It's an easy one to address/fix. The complaint is "There are too many categories on the site". I'd like your honest input on if we do have too many, and where we can do some consolidating if needed.
I can easily merge forums together without losing any posts, but after they are merged it would be ALLOT of work to go back though and re-create a category and fill it with pertinent existing posts. On the flip side if you see we could use a new topic somewhere let me know too. I did recently create a new topic (that should have been here from the start) which was the DIY section.

Take a look around and let me know what you think. Don't worry if your specific idea isn't put into effect right away...All input has influence and will shape the site.

Thanks for putting your time in and helping the site be as great as it is. It means allot! :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
flat6_musik

Re: Do we have too many Categories?

Post by flat6_musik »

My humble opinion.....no. The only time I remotely thought so was when I created a thread and had to scratch my head as to under what category to put it under, and even then, big deal. As I look at the categories, I don't find them to look too frivolous or ultra-specific. I've seen other forums' to be way more overwhelming!
sam60

Post by sam60 »

I'm with flat6_ Categories are good IMHO.
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I personally find the Corvair Forum one of the easiest sites of its type to navigate and in which to locate information. Far-better than the others I've seen! The red flags make it easy to locate new, unread posts, and the search function also seems to work well. i have never been bothered by the number of categories of information. The titles make it easy to locate subject-specific posts.

Some new users sometimes seem confused as to where to place their question or comment -- or they just don't pay much attention and simply place a posting almost at random. But most users do a pretty-good job or sticking to category-specific topics and post where they think most appropriate. A few even have requested that a site administrator relocate their post to another area to try to make it "fit" better. I think that the current breakdown of category titles and topics, and sub-topics is just about right. Too few and it would be hard to dig out appropriate information, but the current catalog works well, in my opinion.
:tu: :tu: :tu:
:ty:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

As a frequent visiter to this site (a couple times a day). I find it most usefull to just read every new post title in unread messages. The topics that may not interest me I just jump in then out so they disappear from my unread message list. For me the multiple categories are usefull for posting a new topic. I use the search engine for finding something specific.

In response to the question - nope - the number of catorgies that we currently have is good for me. :02:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

cad-kid wrote:As a frequent visiter to this site (a couple times a day). I find it most usefull to just read every new post title in unread messages. The topics that may not interest me I just jump in then out so they disappear from my unread message list. For me the multiple categories are usefull for posting a new topic. I use the search engine for finding something specific.

In response to the question - nope - the number of catorgies that we currently have is good for me. :02:
I too use the View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics options quite often. If you look to the far right in that same place you'll see another similar option Mark forums read so when you are done with the new topics you are interested in, you can click that instead of having to jump in and out of them to turn the red taillights off.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
jennirw
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by jennirw »

I use "View Unread Posts" and "Mark Forums Read" when finished. Only comment I have on the catagories is I think the Corvair of the Month" should be 1st and the others in the order of most used.
1960 700 COUPE
ADMINISTRATOR- "1960 CAVEMAN CORVAIR" Facebook
ADMINISTRATOR- "CAVEMAN CORVAIRS, THE 1960 GROUP" CORSA special interest chapter 003 Facebook
ADMINISTRATOR- "DETROIT AREA CORVAIR CLUB (DACC)" Facebook
DemonPig

Post by DemonPig »

It's not necessarily too many categories but I think they could be organized better. This is my suggestion:

Start Here

Introductions
New to Corvairs?
Corvair Talk
LM vs EM
Rare and Special Interest Corvairs
Racing
Off Topic

The Technical Stuff

Mechanical Questions
Performance Mods
DIY - Projects and Builds (merge the 2)
Stock Vehicle
Body/VIN Decoding

Media

Articles/Videos/Brochures
Member’s Cars
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Year

Clubs/Events/Links

Events
Clubs/CORSA (sub forums - US East, US Central, US West, Canada, rest of the World, CORSA)
Member’s Websites

Supporting Vendors

Clark’s
LeVair

Classifieds

For Sale
Wanted
Online Store

Help Desk

Site Specific Topics
1965 Corvair Monza coupe
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

I just go to newest posts, and it's a nice digestible trickle of posts, so the large number of categories don't bother me one bit. Aren't all forums sorta like this?

BTW, it took me a few seconds to realize that this thread was made on Jan 27, 2013! ::-):
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

YES ! :oldtimer:
Attachments
,kjghtr.JPG
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Site Improvement Suggestions”