County98's Learn as I Go Thread

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
County98

Re: County98's Learn as I Go Thread

Post by County98 »

Next little bit. Defroster ducting so I can close up the toe panel under the dash.

As far as I can tell from surfing around, only the defroster/heater box is visible in the car?

Also, any home made tricks for fixing the foam on the defroster door? Any special foam or rubber that works well?

Finally, if you don't want to reinstall rusty, crusty hardware but you're too cheap to buy more...

Stick them in some cardboard and dust with black spray paint. They're ghetto fabulous. [emoji38]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Clark's sells replacement foam for the door. It is on page 103 near the top of the page PN C3150 Foam For Flap. A whopping $2.95.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
County98

Post by County98 »

I saw that, but then I have to wait a week and probably pay more than that in shipping. Just wondering if anyone has skinned the cat a different way?

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Might find some suitable foam sheet at a good hardware or perhaps craft store.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
County98

Post by County98 »

Wired in the American Pi safety relay for my electric fuel pump tonight. Pretty handy little piece, I like it.

3 ways to add some safety so your pump doesn't keep running in a crash or fire. Inertia switch, oil pressure switch, or tach sensing relay. 3rd choice was easiest for me.

Just what it says, a relay on a bracket with some termination ends.

Pigtails on. I used black for ground, white for my constant and switch power, orange for tach trigger, and the empty one is waiting for my red off the pump.

New home for the relay.

Switched and constant power were super easy, right off empty spades on the fuse box.

Not too bad wiring it in, toughest part was getting up in there to tie into the brown/white tach sensor line.

Pre-ran some of the stereo lines, cleaned up/painted/reinstalled pedals, and threw down some floor mats so I don't chew up my sound deadener.

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Post by County98 »

Cleaned up, sealed, and reinstalled the defroster ducts, air switching box, and toe panel tonight.

Used some sticky back weather seal I had laying around and black duct tape (go figure) around all the joint seams.

Starting to come together a little!

I hope when I finally get around to buying some molded carpet it goes plenty high in the front, lol.

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

joefarmer

Post by joefarmer »

Shayne - Dash setup looks incredible! Makes me want to find a LM for my next project.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

You have a solid ride. It's like you're rich. Be happy!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
County98

Post by County98 »

Well, looks like I'm going to take another contract and disappear for awhile. Decided since I'll be gone for a few months, I might try to find a good, affordable painter and treat myself to a paint job!

I have a couple weeks yet, so started on disassembly of all the badges, bumpers, lights, etc.

Found a couple more mouse houses under those weird little corner panels in the frunk. Had to pull them to get the marker lights out.

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Post by County98 »

Vacuumed out the mouse hotels and got the front clip stripped down.

Corsa and Corvair emblems came off with no problems. Headlight bezels and backing plates came off super easy, never realized it was just a few screws to pull the assemblies.

Pretty standard on this car so far. All the wiring seems good, still pliable, and not hacked up. All grounds and termination points are super corroded though.

Bundled up.

My trouble areas are aftermarket mirror holes, and my windshield channel is pretty shot I think. Even started to crack when I was removing that damn antenna. What a PITA that was...[emoji35]

Overall though, the old girls got pretty good lines for 51 years old in original paint. [emoji1]

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

Krfjkm

Post by Krfjkm »

Great post! Really enjoyed reading it--- what is the status now?
County98

Post by County98 »

Thank you Krfjkm. Still out of the area unfortunately, so no updates for a bit yet, lol.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

Krfjkm

Post by Krfjkm »

Be safe wherever you are---- I will say this is the best thread I have seen!
County98

Post by County98 »

Hi guys, been gone for awhile.

Can't believe it's been almost a year since I worked on the 'Vair. I've done 2 more 4 month rotations to Afghanistan and during my last break worked on my C10 project for a bit. Coming along pretty good and nice to have a pickup to haul some stuff around in. Still have some bugs to work out on that too, projects never end.
20180525_201010.jpg
20180523_093303.jpg
On to the car...
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Post by County98 »

So, starting off, I got myself a little treat for deploying. Needed a lift, but my flow through shop doors and all my junk didn't leave room for any of the big ones. Decided on the Bendpak MD-6XP midrise scissor. So far, so good and VERY nice not to be laying on the floor as much.
Lift (2).jpg
Lift (1).jpg
Edit: Not sure why the pics rotated. Weird.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Post by County98 »

Next I did some forum research, and much agonizing over sizes and whatnot before I pulled the trigger on some new wheels. I decided to change the direction I was going with the car and wanted a new look. More to come on that in a bit.

For the new wheels, I went with Trans Am Engineering Superlites. 15x7 front with 4.5" backspacing, and 15x8 rear with 5" backspace. Skinned them up with BF Goodrich Rival S semi-comp tires in a 225/45-15 front, and 245/40-15 rear. Comes out to about 23" tire height which is .9" shorter than what I had before. Tire selection is getting short in a wide 15" though. Hopefully they don't look too short in the end. I really like the look though, just maybe not the fender gap.
Superlites (2).jpg
Superlites (3).jpg
Superlites (4).jpg
Superlites (5).jpg
I go back and forth on stuff aesthetically. I put 20's on the pickup becasue it fills the space better, but I'm starting to feel the big wheel look is getting played out on little cars. Meh, just me. I'm steeering more toward vintage race look now for the corvair I think.

Fit well on the test fit, got the tires mounted and still looks good so far. MAY need a very small spacer on the rear, the tire bulge is only about 3/8" from spring and strut rod. On the back, if it fits it should be fine. Front seems good, but hard to test for full cornering and full deflection at the same time. I think it will be okay. :tu:
Superlites (1).jpg
Superlites (6).jpg
20190112_145937.jpg
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”