My present project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Corventure Dave

Re: My present project

Post by Corventure Dave »

This last Saturday there was a Car's and Coffee, gathering in Thousands Oaks. About a 20 mile ride over the hill for me.
Even tho the Rampside is not finished.... there is no window glass in the drivers door and some other items...
I drove the Rampy out of town for the first time in over 2 years of the restoration project. It actually ran quite well
but needs some adjustments. Most everything worked just fine. The shopping list of things to do is nicely getting much shorter.

I'll have more photo's as the project continues along.

Dave Palmer
Attachments
A1f4.jpg
A!f2.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Yea for the first ride of the season :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Corventure Dave

Thanks Cad-Kid.... But here we have no off riding season! :shhh: We just have to put up with a lot of political and social nonsense. :tongue: :banghead:

Corventure Dave
Attachments
A1f3.jpg
CS RAmp Dam2.JPG
Corventure Dave

I'm putting together an article as a follow up to a 2012 article I had in the newsletter, when I had recently brought the Rampside home.

There will be more pictures in the article and I will post them here after the newsletter comes out.

I'm putting off the engine rebuild and detailing the engine compartment until later this summer. Dainers Rampy is just running too good to tear the engine down right now. However the project continues.

Corventure Dave
Attachments
Dr fin6.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Alright!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
Corventure Dave

The latest issue of Corvanantics has the restoration article I mentioned. Still quite a few things yet to do.... and I'm in the middle of this project also!
Never a dull moment in Dave's Man-Cave!

Corventure Dave
Attachments
1A Room.jpg
Corventure Dave

An update.
Even tho I still have some things to do on Dad's Rampside to come even close to completion...
Last Sunday at an All GM car show here in Southern Calif. We managed to win the engineering excellence
award for Chevrolet - post war vehicles. It was quite a surprise!
This is the tribute for you Dad. :wave:

Corventure Dave
Attachments
1AARampwin.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

AWESOME! :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
Corventure Dave

So about 2 weeks ago, the gas gauge drifted down to empty. I did the quick test.... unhook the
sending unit ground lead, and the gauge went to Full-Full when the key was turned on. So the problem
was likely in the wiring or sender unit. After some more electrical tests, I was quite sure it was the sender.
Sooo this past Saturday I dropped the gas tank.
Here is where I have to say my EZ-Car Lift came in so handy. I could raise the Rampy plenty high enough
for this and about any job with the EZ. I also like the way it can be moved and used anywhere. Along with
it's easy storage. Really great for the home garage.

Any who, the tank came out quite easily. Upon removing the sending unit, the problem was obvious. The
float had developed a tiny leak and was full of gas. So it simply sunk. After checking OHM's and installing
a new float.. everything got cleaned, painted and re-installed. Good to go!

Oh... there is a real good float replacement. It appears to be thicker material and fit's perfect. It's a Ford
Part # COAZ-9202-B. The original floats are quite flimsy!

Corventure Dave
Attachments
1A Send4.jpg
1A Send3.jpg
1A send1.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks for the alternate float pt#. I just replaced my sending unit after 1 year of operation. My float was bad and the seal for the electrical connector was damaged.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
Corventure Dave

On my way to the California Corvairs Open House, I noticed the speedometer stopped working. As it turned out, the cable had unraveled
about 1/3 of the way forward of the differential. Oh the fun little things that can pop up! :doh: This is not a huge issue, because after 40+ years working on and parting out these Corvairs, I have the parts on hand.

So back home, it was back up on the EZ Lift, and the simple job of replacing the speedometer cable and housing. The speedo drive gear in the differential checked out fine. One thing about these Corvair trucks... the cables are extremely accessible, compared to the car's. There are no tunnel covers to remove, and the cables route nearly straight to the component they actuate. The whole project took less than an hour, and it also gave me a chance to start detailing the undercarriage.

Off the Camarillo Ranch Car show and Beer fest this Sunday!

Corventure Dave
Attachments
1A Send4.jpg
Corventure Dave

Catching up on this thread....
I plan on going through the Rampside engine this Fall. But yet another project is now taking place. I'm
extending my garage and adding a large loft for storage. This required that everything in the garage
had to be moved out. Sooo... after construction and moving back in, plus reorganizing the new garage space...
I will finally be able to get back on with the Rampside work. But this time I will have so much more room to do the
things I want to do on the Rampy!

Corventure Dave
Attachments
1A1A Both.jpg
1AA Garage 4.jpg
Corventure Dave

Yahoo! I have finished the Man-Cave project. I'm now moving all my stuff..."Corvair parts" back in and organizing the work area.
The garage is deep. With the Greenbrier and Rampside in there, side by side, I still have a large one car garage area to play in! Add to
that a large loft with a pull down stair ladder for access. I'm a Crappy Hamper.... er... Happy Camper! :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

The Rampside comes back home this weekend and progress will continue, right after the Corsa West Funcours October 3.

Corventure Dave
Attachments
1AA Garage 8.jpg
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

very nice! well done.. Interior pics?
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
Corventure Dave

Not a great shot in the inside, but all I have right now.
With the addition, I can close the door and still have enough room for an engine
extraction and room to work on it. I no longer have to move vehicles outside for projects
unless the bigger extra elbow room is needed.
I have really utilized the upstairs 20ft X 16ft loft. Solid plywood floor and I also added shelving.
The fold down stair ladder is also nice.

Now after the Fan Belt Toss and swap meet event in Palm Springs in a couple weeks, I can get back onto
the Corvair projects!

Corventure Dave
Attachments
A!A!GARAGE.jpg
Duane in Bakersfield

Post by Duane in Bakersfield »

Dave, are you a member of any of the Goldwing BBs? What year is your 'Wing? I have a yellow '03 to go along with my '64 coupe and '59 Apache pickup. :chevy:

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”