My present project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Corventure Dave

Re: My present project

Post by Corventure Dave »

With all the busyness of the past couple months... it's nice to be back on the Rampside project.
I had a problem develop with the Right door latch. I had worked over both latches and installed new springs. They both worked just fine for months, until the Right side stated acting up.
After disassembling the door and removing the latch, I found that the stop tab for the start wheel was bent. It bent quite easily indicating it was about to break off. This stop tab limits the throw of the star tumbler and keeps it in time for proper adjustment if the latch.
I have worked over these latches for years. This tab is usually missing. I weld in a piece of key stock to make a strong stop for the star tumbler.
The unit shown is one I had on hand. This one I will install this weekend.
I am in the process of taking the Rampside back to the paint shop for some little imperfections they will fix... along with some nicks I have put in it re-assembling! :banghead:

It's great to be back playing with the Rampside.

Corventure Dave
Attachments
FC LAT2.jpg
FC LAT.jpg
FC LAT3.jpg
Corventure Dave

Boy... have I ever let this post slip by! :banghead:

Since my last update, I took the Rampside back to the paint shop to have some boo boo's touched up.
Back it came and I had an opportunity to display my Greenbrier in a local museum for a month.. so....
I took advantage of the extra room at home and pulled the engine out of the Rampside. It's been over 25 years since that engine was out.
It still ran fine, but I wanted to upgrade to a billet cam gear and forged pistons. The entire job included checking the already worked over heads that have deep seats and bronze guides. Everything checked out perfect. Dad never put many miles on this. I think less well than 20,000.
The crankshaft was perfect. SO it's still standard-standard. The cylinders were from new GM kits he installed. These wee also perfect and only needed a honing.
In general it was a easy rebuild. New fan bearing, new exhaust system and everything addressed.
I test ran it on my assembly-test engine stand before installing it in the Rampy. The engine compartment I detailed and wrapped the wiring loom with Black Rescue Tape. This cleaned that up nicely. Some powder coating on sheet metal parts and finally the first test drive yesterday to seat the rings and do a total check over.
All went real well. I'm planning on driving out to Chino Calif for the California Corvairs open house event. That will be a nice 200 mile round trip break in run.

Corventure Dave
Attachments
Dainers Eng 17.jpg
Dainers eng8.jpg
Dainers Eng16.jpg
Dainers eng20.jpg
Doh.jpg
Doh.jpg (7.01 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Dr fin5.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Nice update! Can you remove the rescue tape if you need to repair the harness?
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Corventure Dave

The Rescue tape comes off if you carefully cut it length wise with a razor blade. It slices so much easier than vinyl or electric tape.
I like the way Rescue tape fuses to it's self.

Corventure Dave
Corventure Dave

Oh.... I'm planning on making the 86 mile drive down to Chino Calif. for the California Corvairs Open House this Saturday. June 11, 2016.
There will be a lot of real nice Corvairs there. I always get inspiration and also Jeff has the parts shop open, even better... the Monster Burgers are worth any drive!!!

Corventure Dave
sirwaldizmo

Post by sirwaldizmo »

Awesome ride man! Sorry didn't get a chance to meet you and apologize for all the drool i left on your rampside at the open house :not worthy: :tu:
Corventure Dave

That was you!??? Seems that every Corvair there got drizzled on! :)

last year it was sunny and hot. I got rained on driving home. Had a chance to test the wipers for the first time.

Corventure Dave
Corventure Dave

Ah... a man in his cave! had a nice visit from another Corvair enthusiast, John, from South Carolina.
Oh.. the newly rebuilt Rampside FC 110 engine is running sweet!

This past Sunday I was able to bring the Greenbrier home from it's month long visit to the Murphy Auto Museum, in Oxnard Calif.

Now the cave is complete again!

Corventure Dave
Attachments
Dainers eng 50.jpg
A1111 Museo.jpg
1A1A Both.jpg
Corventure Dave

It's been a while since I posted about the Rampside project. Basically I have been detailing the undercarriage and spending a lot of time with yet another home renovation project. Stripping the popcorn ceilings and repainting throughout was a lot easier 20years ago!!!

Then my computer got a virus and all my photos are blanked out. Fortunately I don't leave everything on the computer and have my original flash cards.

So some new pictures here are from last weekend's SCC Corvair show in Downey, Calif. at Bob's Bog Boy.

They had this young artist doing renderings of our cars. I had him do one of my Rampside. This will be definitely going into the Man-Cave when I get it framed. Amazing talent he has. I can't even draw a clean circle!!!

Corventure Dave
Attachments
SCC 16-2.jpg
SCC 16-1.jpg
SCC 16.jpg
Corventure Dave

Floor mat.jpg
Floor mat.jpg (58.53 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Floor Mat2.jpg
Floor Mat2.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 939 times
I just installed one of Steve's Re-Pop FC front floor mats in the Rampside.
Check these out in the "Parts For Sale" section here.
The detail and quality are excellent. :not worthy:
I had the Clarks Gray carpet installed for a year now. It fit and worked just fine. But the original look of this re-pop casted from a OEM mat is amazing.
I carefully removed the Jute backing from the Clarks carpet and used it as a underlay for this rubber mat. That worked perfectly.
I could not be happier with the finished look. :tu:
If you have any interest in one of these, I recommend you grab one before Steve completes a final casting run. So may cool new items seem to come and go quickly with our limited special Corvair parts!
Don't miss the boat!

Corventure Dave
don65corsa

Post by don65corsa »

how do I get a fc front rubber mat? phone #...

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”