'65 '500' sedan project from the dry Central Valley, CA

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
viewmaster

'65 '500' sedan project from the dry Central Valley, CA

Post by viewmaster »

I have the two projects going currently: this one (I inherited from my son about two years ago) and the '65 Monza sedan, with added turbo and 2" SU carb.

This particular vehicle is a 1965 "Stripper Model" '500' sedan. 110hp PG.
004.JPG
This one we bought from a passionate Corvair enthusiast from South of Fresno. It is original, and has low miles. He said it was garaged and rarely driven by a little old lady, and going through it...i have little to disbelieve the sellers description. Color white with red interior. As it is a '500', this is the lowest frills Corvair i believe Chevrolet made. A quintessential stripper model. I rebuilt the front suspension a couple years ago, and today had it out to the shop again to do the rear suspension. I and my mechanic friend, both believe that this is the first time the rear end has been taken apart and redone. As we undid the spindles and yokes, we spun them, and the drivers side was noisy...so we decided to do wheel bearings as well. Just more time and money...right? LOL. When we removed the bearings, they were fine and not pitted or worn much at all. The noisy one was just very dry. Guess we got it in time. Si i have a spare set of bearings now. Little did we know today tho...Fresno has scarce Corvair parts...go figure. Bearings we found, inner wheel seals we found...outer...not so much. So we opted to re-install the outer seal, as it was not too bad a shape, and we didnt screw it up while removing it. As we already removed and repainted the torque arms, backing plates and yokes and all. So, when i get new seals, i can just remove and install, without removing springs and shocks and...You know what im talking about.

Anyways, got the work done today, and it set up better in the rear, and now i can finally give it a long awaited four wheel alignment. Luckily, a tire shop here in town has an old school alignment rack, and doesnt charge an arm and a leg.

More to come: Paint, wheels, upholstry...
Attachments
025.JPG
024.JPG
023.JPG
032.JPG
030.JPG
031.JPG
Last edited by viewmaster on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
viewmaster

Re: '65 '500' sedan project from the dry Central Valley, CA

Post by viewmaster »

Sadly, i was too busy doing work yesterday to take more pictures. It all came apart pretty easily, and a couple videos on YouTube from Davemotohead were very helpful, leading up to this day. :tu:
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

The other day, I was playing around with wheel/tire combo's. I like the looks of this, but the tire guy said he couldn't get them anymore. I have been using the tirecalc tool from another thread to figure our a replacement. I don't want, and my tire guy won't let me use trailer tires on my car. I hope I can find a 14" whitewall close to the size I want, that won't break the bank.
Attachments
image.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Tire Rack is a large multi-brand tire distributor, but they don't seem to list any whitewall tires anymore. They do have BF Goodrich Radial T/A performance tires in Raised White Letter configuration in a wide range of 14" sizes that would fit the LM Corvair. Click on the link below to look over the specs page while comparing overall diameter, section width, tread width, revs per mile, and rim width range as critical items to determine fitment for the Corvair. Price is approximately $115 each, depending on the size selected. They currently have a $50 rebate when you purchase a set of four.

FOR COMPARISON, THIS IS WHAT I'M CURRENTLY RUNNING SUCCESSFULLY ON MY 1966 CORSA CONVERTIBLE.
Current Tire Product and Size:
Front: Goodyear Eagle ST P195/70 R14
Overall Diameter: 24.8" Revs per Mile: 839 Sect. Width: 7.9" Tread Width: 6.1"
Rear: Goodyear Eagle ST P235/60 R14
Overall Diameter: 25.1" Revs per Mile: 829 Sect. Width 9.5" Tread Width 8.7"

:link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Specs

If you really want whiterwll tires, you might call the Tire Rack and ask about availability, perhaps as a special order. 1-888-541-1777
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

The wire hubcap wheels I had on in the picture above, were 215x60. I like the way they look in the wheel well. My tire guy found a good price on a decent 195x70 white walls. They will be a slight bit taller, but I think that will work. Plus...the footprint is smaller, and should slide right by the front fender on turns.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Okay...so now that i have rebuilt the rear suspension...just had a four wheel alignment this morning, and it tracks straight as ice. :woo:
I can hear an exhaust leak as i travel, and i know the starboard side tailpipe is rattling on the body. The rattling came from me, earlier, fixing an exhaust strap, and making it too short. So i plan to tackle that this afternoon.
I must pause here, and let everyone know that i am rapidly becoming a Corvair Padawan learner. (Star Wars reference) I know now...that when i want to tackle a specific issue with my Corvair, I must focus...and tackle that issue alone, and look no further, until that issue is resolved. I am sure that nobody here knows what i am talking about. ROFLMAO!!!!

So back to the post... as i am taking apart the exhaust system.
013.JPG
017.JPG
I believe these have not been addressed in a very long time. I had to add the sleeve for the packing on the starboard side.
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
010.JPG
Just like the port side had...
009.JPG
ehaust comp.jpg
So...okay, issue taken care of right??? Well...thats when i should have knocked off. But she has been leaking oil from the port side valve cover as well as the pushrod tubes. I had purchased a set of each the week before so...WHY NOT??
015.JPG
016.JPG
Previous owner tried to "bandaid" a gasket leak with silicone. NO GOOD!!! These gaskets look like they have never been off. They are flat as cardstock and break apart in my fingers.

The project continues...and so does my confidence. :rafman:
Last edited by viewmaster on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Question: Did the 500 base model come with single exhaust? It would make sense that i have a skitzophrentic dual exhaust. I want to get it close to stock...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
Discgolferman

Post by Discgolferman »

Car looks wicked...I know my 63 500 has single, and 64 spyder has single as well....
Dave
Modesto

64 spyder vert(not running) *actively working on*
64 spyder (no pink not running..dont wanto but may make it a parts car)
63 500 (runs ,but not in 10 yrs, doesnt drive, )
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Discgolferman wrote:Car looks wicked...I know my 63 500 has single, and 64 spyder has single as well....
All Corvairs from day 1 came from the factory with single exhaust unless you got the 140 4-carb engine. Other non-140's you see around have been converted to duals by the owners.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Thanks you guys, I think I'll take all the clamps off these "Frankenstein tubes", and get them where I want them and weld them up. All these clamps are heavy and look silly. Besides...I need to dust off the welder anyways.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

I just noticed...DUH!!! The mufflers are different? Or...one of them is flowing backwards. UGH!!!! Thats why it was a complete bastard trying to mount and align them again. The more i look at it, the more BS i find. I went through the valve adjustment thing, after i got the o-rings in. WHAT A JOB THAT WAS!!!! If i would have known...im just glad its done. New pan gasket, new valve cover gaskets, new Viton o-rings port side. (starboard side had them already...go figure...thats the side i started on first. WHY??? Because thats the side that wasnt leaking thats why. :banghead: :angry:

When i get the exhaust straightened out...shes gonna purr on down the road, and hopefully not leak oil everywhere.

BTW...i developed a great way to remove pushrod tubes. I will post pix tomorrow. Tired.... :drool: :zzzz:
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Took time to do a tune up on her today. Because the distributor came lose and the timing was all messed up. Got it back in a tightened down, but when i pulled the plugs...there was a bunch of deposits on the right bank (starboard side) plugs.
017.JPG
This one (#5) was the worst. 1 and 3 were light brown, and just a little bit of the cake like junk down between the body and the insulator. Looks like a lead additive was used or something.
The left bank (port side) plugs, all looked pretty clean. Anyone seen this kind of junk before? I replaced the plugs, and will continue to monitor the phenomenon.

Thanks guys...
016.JPG
same plug...maybe a better shot...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Have a date on the upholstery guys calendar. Im gonna drop them off this week, so he can de-construct them for his patterns. I cannot wait to get the seats redone. Its gonna look, and feel, so much better.

From earlier posts: the carbs accelerator pumps are working. I still need to see if i have the correct dizzy in it, but since i am getting a "floating" timing condition, i need to have the dizzy rebuilt or at least bushing replaced. We shall see.

Pics soon...

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Okay...keeping motivated, i got the seats deconstructed, and am working on the frames. The upholstery guy found a couple of broken springs, and a couple missing ones. He gave me a length of that "S" curved coil material, and i made the missing ones up, and also repaired the broken ones. I cannot wait to get these seats in and driving it once more. New carpet on the horizon as well.
Putting in some Peel and Seal underlayment as well. Hopefully that will help keep the road noise down.
Anyone with an LM '500, offer up some pix of the firewall for me? I posted in the "Mechanical Questions" thread about it, and have no response. Nobody has a '500' out there??? LOL.
Attachments
making springs...
making springs...
missing something???
missing something???
My work here is done...
My work here is done...
everything has to be pretty...
everything has to be pretty...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Okay...been busy here and there, and as above work was done on the seat frames, my wife helped me install the seats today. And i DO have to thank Manny's Upholstery in Fresno, CA for the fine job he did. Love the way it brought the cabin up in looks and freshness. :tu:
Front seat w/ belts
Front seat w/ belts
Rear seat...sans belts (500 model)
Rear seat...sans belts (500 model)
Manny's attention to detail...
Manny's attention to detail...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Next is a carpet kit and some little details, then a repaint.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”