'66 Monza Coupe Project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
91blaze

Re: '66 Monza Coupe Project

Post by 91blaze »

Got my parts from Clark's today and got a lot of work done. Replaced the input shaft seal, Ignitor module, heater hoses, and miscellaneous grommets and seals. Got the engine back in, which was sketchy to do on my own. Had trouble lining up the input shaft but it finally gave in. All that's left to do is button up the little stuff and hopefully it will run and drive :pray:
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
County98

Post by County98 »

Good luck Blaze!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Well as usual something else broke :td: I tried all day to get the fuel pump to bring gas up to the carbs with no success. I blew compressed air through the lines and found no leaks or blockages. The pump seems to be working but not very well, only has a very small amount of vacuum which doesn't seem to be enough to pull the gas up through the emptied lines. The parts store can't get one until tomorrow so I have to wait. Only good news is that the engine did fire momentarily using starter fluid so the pump should be the last part to replace.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

For those of you who saw my "no spark" thread, I got it figured out. The tach wire is grounding out somewhere, going to have to hunt that down. In the process of all this I managed to screw up the timing and carb settings so those will have to be messed with. I also ended up getting a new pump, which I was hoping to avoid doing until later. I will keep you guys update on anything further, can't work on it till tomorrow cause I got a late class tonight.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Great thread! Sounds like you're having the same "relationship" problems I did with my 51 F1, Luci (Short for Lucifer)..
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Lol yeah, it's a love/hate relationship.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Figure I should do a quick update. Have been driving everyday with no problems, runs and drives great. Tried using an internally regulated coil but it was causing misfires so I have put the old coil back in. I got tired of not having a horn and the giant ugly wheel so I got a Grant Club Sport steering wheel. It goes with my plans for a modernized sports car look. Haven't done much else but plan on starting the upholstery if I can ever get the motivation and time. Got some pics for current progress:

idel0817

Post by idel0817 »

91blaze wrote:FYI: I will be keeping the first post updated with any plans I may add and a current progress picture. Right now, I'm just waiting on parts because I need to rebuild the carbs. I will definitely end up rewiring most of the car to clean it up and get rid of any faulty wiring. If anyone has bumpers for sale, let me know.
Hello
I am new to forum and have no idea how to start a post. I have checked all the taps at top of page with now luck. Please send me an email to idelgado48@att.net with the steps to open a post to the Corvairforum.
Thank you so much
Israel Delgado
County98

Post by County98 »

Looks good Blaze. I like that wheel too. Good job not giving up!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Trying to keep this updated even though I've not been doing a whole lot. I decided against rebuilding the original seats and picked up a set of seats from a '94 Camaro. They are small enough to fit and give me extra room for the console and have a lot more side support and positioning. The driver's seat even has electric position controls, which I've already tested. Worst part will be the mounts since I still need to set up my welder. Only other news is that I've been driving a lot this weekend. Put a couple hundred miles on it with no problems, including freeway driving without overheating :tu: Hopefully my next update will involve some upholstery but I'm not holding my breath. Oh yeah, more good news: been getting about 22 mpg with hard driving and haven't touched the carbs or timing since last time ::-):
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

:banghead: I spoke too soon, should have known something else would break. Heard a loud pop from the suspension yesterday and found that the left rear upper shock mount broke. Upon closer inspection it seems the shock is a bit stiffer than it should be and the metal of the mount was really thin. I can do a temporary fix for now but I'm thinking about going ahead and rebuilding the suspension soon, putting in new shocks, springs, bushings, and hopefully being able to powdercoat the components.
County98

Post by County98 »

Get her back in action and wait until winter Blaze. Too much "I should do that while I've got it out" stuff under there. I'm fighting with front springs now and it all takes 3x as long as I think it should.

Glad you got your spark issues worked out!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

County98 wrote:Get her back in action and wait until winter Blaze. Too much "I should do that while I've got it out" stuff under there. I'm fighting with front springs now and it all takes 3x as long as I think it should.

Glad you got your spark issues worked out!
Yeah, I was looking at your build and thinking how much of a pain it will be. Got a big show this weekend so I'm just going to patch it up for now.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Seems I haven't updated for a while, not much has been done lately. I am saving up for parts so I've mostly just been tinkering with cheaper stuff like wiring and small things. I found out that it was running a bit lean and that was causing my "miss" under acceleration. Decided to swap out to #52 main jets and it seems to be running much better. Over the last month I have picked up two awards, one for best incomplete and one for car club choice. I have also joined the Circle City Corvair club and got to meet some new people and see some nice Corvairs. Not sure when the next major update will be, money will be short until January.
County98

Post by County98 »

Doesn't have to be big stuff buddy. I'm watching yours for all the million little things too, lol. Post everything you're doing so I can check it out and see whats coming up for me!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Been doing pretty well until recently my mileage has dropped a bit and has been running a bit worse. I'm thinking the winter blend fuel is to blame because I haven't found anything that could cause this. It may just be more noticeable in this car than I'm used to because of its compression and age.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”