'66 Monza Coupe Project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
cad-kid

Re: '66 Monza Coupe Project

Post by cad-kid »

Wow! Those are some tough situations all stacked up. Best wishes on the report :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

More things done over the last few weeks. Had to drive my car for the last few weeks daily and it did pretty well. Ended up replacing the front left brake line and hose Friday. Had to go and replace the left front wheel cylinder as well because one of the bolts broke for some reason and was allowing it to move under braking pressure. Got everything put back together and bled the brakes and it brakes much better now. Seems to be a bit of play in the pedal but the pedal is firm and does not bleed down. I did stop in reverse a few times to adjust the brakes somewhat but I may need to do it some more.

I also finally replaced the fuel tank strap. The PO had put two straps under the tank running front to rear screwed into the crossmember. Needless to say, the tank was pretty well being held up by the sway bar which made noise every time I hit a bump. This got especially bad when I lost one of the straps driving this winter. I found a decent, yet rusty, strap in some parts I acquired that had only one good J-hook and one that had the nut rusted to it. I just looped one hook into it's spot, pulled the strap around the tank and bolted the other one up. Now it's held up away from the bar and does not get in the way anymore. There is still noise however because the bar has no bushings on the inner mounts. This will be remedied whenever I get around to rebuilding the suspension though.

The truck is fixed so I will be able to work on my car now. Should be able to get more done now that school is out and I'm finally working full time. Need to get some work done on it for the convention.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Nice work! I'm sure you know this Blaze but a tip for getting your brakes adjusted up properly is to make sure the star wheel assembly turns freely. Those things live at the bottom of the brake drum and get brake dust and water raining on them constantly so they get stuck. If course the lever pivots that ride on one shoe that causes the star wheel to turn also have to work freely.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Yes I am meaning to do that at some point. They do move and are clean inside but seem to stick a little. Would it be a good idea to put a little grease in there or would is there a better way? I was concerned that the grease would drip onto the insides of the drums so I didn't. I might take some sandpaper to them to knock off any surface rust I suppose.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

For the star wheel threads I use a thin coating of anti-seize. For the other moving parts and where the shoes contact the backing plate - use high temp brake grease (only small amounts). Also to bring up the pedal check the parking brake adjustment - makes a HUGE difference in pedal height.

I really need to get some brake grease on my car's brake pivot points. I occasionally get a slight pull just as the brakes are applied - then they straighten out.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Yeah I never did put grease on the moving points. That's the next on my list I guess. Thanks for the suggestion.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Wonderful... Got backed into by a girl in an Expedition. She stopped and threw it in reverse to let someone out of a parking spot without realizing I was behind her. Her rear bumper hit the hood so of course I got the worst of it. Buckled the hood and pushed in the area below it. Im going to try bending the hood back but i have a nice one on my parts car if i cant. Of course its orange lol. Gonna work on it tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

That blows! At least your headlights didn't get hit. Are you going to try the insurance route? Get some cash out of her?
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I got cash. No point ivolving the insurance and possibly getting a rate increase. And I didnt want her turning around and claiming I rear ended her since my dash cam wasnt working at the time. I've seen it happen too many times.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Well, spent about half an hour or so messing with it. Fortunately hinges and everything behind the hood are good, the hood took the force. Found that the hood skin got separated from the bracing in the middle. Also bent the bracing in a few areas and smushed in the nose area behind the lock cover. I have a nice hood and front end on my parts car so those will be used when I begin doing body work eventually. I took pictures of the damage and one of the final product. Worst part was just lining up the dang latch after hammering out the front and bending the hood back.
Attachments
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_2917.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2920.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2922.JPG
IMG_2923.JPG
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Well, things just keep getting better... Today the engine started making a tapping noise and I know that can only mean one thing. Dropped valve seat. It still runs fine and dandy but has a very noticeable tapping/clacking sound coming from the right side of the engine. Unfortunately it is my only mode of transportation until I get home from work tomorrow. Plan on stopping at Leveque's shop tomorrow to confirm my diagnoses and maybe get some parts to start rebuilding if it comes to that. The timing couldn't be worse being only a few weeks from the convention. If everything goes smoothly I should be able to get it rebuilt by then. On the bright side, now I can finally replace those pesky leaking o-rings. Going to update on the condition tomorrow.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Good luck on the diagnosis. I hope it's something simpler than a dropped seat.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Well I'm hopeful. Talked to Michael and he said it could be a broken pushrod tip. If so that will be an easy fix as I have plenty of those lying around. Will find out on Friday when I pull the covers.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Good news! Decided to drive the car to LeVair so Michael could actually hear the sound. On the way there I started to notice that the noise was more than just a simple tapping. Had a weird fluttering noise when letting off the gas and just didn't sound right. When I got there he confirmed that it was more likely an exhaust noise, something in the muffler. Didn't make sense because I've only had the exhaust for about two years. Sure enough took the exhaust off at home and found the issue (see picture). So I decided to throw on the headers I've had in the garage for like a year (older Clark's Ultimates I believe). Went pretty smooth other than #6 exhaust tube is rusted at the flange where the packing goes so I had to leave the original gasket until I can replace it.I actually like the new sound, a bit louder under acceleration but doesn't drone too much surprisingly. Not too fond of the "poppy" idle but I'm spoiled by my old exhaust setup.

Other than that, replaced the engine mount with a failsafe one from Clark's. It's a lot stiffer so there is more vibration now at idle. Brought the engine up and inch or two. Tightened up the brakes and fixed the driver's side window mech. It would get stuck rolling down so I put some grease in the track and it works great now. Adjusted brakes and other little things in preparation for Springfield while I was at it. Now just waiting for Monday to come around so I can head out, see you all there!
Attachments
IMG_3017.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Yea, glad to hear it wasn't a major fault :wave:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I guess I've got a bit behind on this thread so here's a little bit of an update. The Springfield convention was great, I ended up heading out Friday to go to Road America. I've always wanted to go there so this was a great opportunity. I took Route 66 on the way up just to get a taste of it and I must say I'm excited to go the full route some time in the future. Stopped and got some nice pictures and saw some nice sites along the way. I spent all day Saturday at the track, I got to drive on the track and even found some other Corvairs to go with. Then spent the rest of the day in the pits with the Corvair racers.

The car behaved wonderfully for the trip. Only had two minor issues to deal with. First I had to fix a rusted out exhaust tube in the hotel parking lot. I ended up pulling the headers off and using some exhaust paste to patch up the tube since replacing it was too much for me to mess with. That got rid of the annoying exhaust leak that I dealt with the whole way there. Next, on the way up 66 to Road America, my gas pedal disconnected from the linkage. Fortunately I had a pack of e-clips in the toolbox, which I don't remember putting in there...

The ole girl held up amazingly well for this trip. I've since only had one other issue. My rear passenger side shock mount went. If you remember, the driver's side went earlier this year. The first one I managed to patch with a thick fender washer on each side of the hole and it is still holding up. This one however tore a much bigger hole so it will have to be dealt with much sooner. I fully intend on welding both sides up with thicker gauge steel to keep this from reoccurring. I haven't done much work to it, just been driving a lot and saving up for more parts.

I also may have picked up another project... as if I need one haha. But it's something I've wanted for a long time so it was worth it. I will add a picture of it along with ones from the trip. I hope to spend this winter buying more parts so I can actually get something done on my car next year.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”