'66 Monza Coupe Project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
91blaze

Re: '66 Monza Coupe Project

Post by 91blaze »

Whats up everybody, sorry I haven't done much lately. Hard to do much when you leave the house at 7 and dont get back until night. I have been able to get the rear bearings rebuilt and am in the process of putting everything back together. My biggest hurdle right now is that i dont have garage space for this nor do i have the funds to get the gas and everthing hooked up to weld. I will definitely have more progress in the spring once it warms up and i have some money to get more done.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

My Vair is tucked away across the street at the neighbors house (that was a lucky find!). I did pull 1 front seat to rebuild, the clock to tinker with, and the front seat belts to have rebuilt.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Sounds good. Its always nice to have progress, no matter how small.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Akinon93

Post by Akinon93 »

y'know, I do remember seeing this project when you first posted it long ago! it was shortly before I stopped visiting these forums and I felt as if we both had the same future ahead of us. a long, uphill road filled with blood sweat and whiskey (we don't shed tears except tears of joy here!). I see you've made some amazing progress on your corvair though congratulations! It's looking quite nice comapred to the original photos posted!
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Thanks man, it's definitely a long road for sure. Once I finish school and get my full time job going this summer I will be able to start getting more done to it. At the moment funds are short and so is my time to work on the car.
Akinon93

Post by Akinon93 »

That's always the killer, funds and time. In my case I have the time, but no funds! haha still will look sharp once it's complete!
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

More small updates. Went to the Performance Workshop yesterday and found some things out. After having taken the car to a dyno a few weeks ago I learned that the car is definitely running lean under acceleration. I bought some.054 jets to replace the current .052 jets. Also found a major leak at the fuel pump outlet. I found it when the car suddenly stopped wanting to run and I smelled gas. Just had to tighten up the little pipe and it stopped. I will be putting in the jets soon hopefully so I can see if it helps.

My plans have changed a bit as well. I have decided to go with front disc brakes and S10 drop spindles. In doing this I will be getting a larger master cylinder and adjustable proportioning valve to allow me to tune the brake bias. I have big plans for this summer if finances work out well.

I am attaching the dyno results as well, very interesting for sure. The bouncing is from all the hesitation, which is caused by the timing being set lower to keep it from detonating due to the lean condition. I am trying to get an O2 meter so I can see the changes from the bigger jets. BTW, I did the dyno runs because I wanted a baseline before doing my rebuild.
Attachments
Initial Dyno Results.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Great info! Thanks for posting the results. I'm also going to get an a/f monitor.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
notched

Post by notched »

Buy yourself a wideband o2 gauge. I personally use the Innovate on my own car. It's amazing what you can find by knowing what your air fuel ratio is.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

notched wrote:Buy yourself a wideband o2 gauge. I personally use the Innovate on my own car. It's amazing what you can find by knowing what your air fuel ratio is.
Thanks, I will check them out :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

notched wrote:Buy yourself a wideband o2 gauge. I personally use the Innovate on my own car. It's amazing what you can find by knowing what your air fuel ratio is.
Does it have its own sensor? I don't have an O2 sensor and I'm having a hard time finding a gauge of some sort that has a sniffer that you can put in the exhaust without welding a bung. I plan on installing a sensor once I do my full exhaust but for now I don't have anything of the sort.
notched

Post by notched »

Yes, the Innovate comes with a sensor. I tig welded a bung into my exhaust. They have a style that utilizes a clamp type hook up. But it a gauge that I leave permanently mounted on my car as it makes it easy to see if something changes in the tune.
This is the one I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/INNOVATE-3795-D ... 12&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Cool, thanks for the link.
County98

Post by County98 »

Just brainstorming an idea, but Harley guys (I am one) usually immediately throw the stock exhaust pipes in the trash for aftermarket pipes. If you could use the tubes somehow, they already have wideband sensor bungs in them.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

The trouble of making those work with the exhaust system would probably be worse than just welding new bungs in. I have to wait to put the sensors in because I have headers I plan on installing, so my current system won't be lasting very long. Thanks for the idea though.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

These past few weeks have just been exhausting :sad5:

So first the brakes on my truck go out as a semi pulls out in front of the line of cars I was in. Thankfully I managed to avoid the guy in front of me. Then while driving my car to work the next day I lost my clutch cable... which I had just replaced last year. It broke right where it goes up at the main pulley so not sure what's going on there. Pulley still moves fine with no snags :dontknow:

Oh well, couldn't get any worse, right? So fast forward a few weeks and the front spring mount on this POS F150 bent. Still somewhat driveable but whole front left side squats now. Well I can just drive my car to work for the next few weeks I guess... and then a front brake hose goes out on the car :banghead:

No biggy, got a new one in the garage since I was planning on doing them when the weather cleared up. Of course the line attached to the hose just had to break too, the nut was stuck to the line itself. Had to wait a week for that to come in from Clark's. While replacing the line I managed to jack up the splitter block for the front lines. Brilliant me went righty-tighty instead of lefty-loosey with the brake line...

Got a new one but now the right front won't work, acts like the line is clogged or something because it will slowly activate. And of course I had to still drive it since my sister needed the truck while her car was being worked on. Well that's great, gotta drive the car as it is with partially functioning front right brake, but at least it's running fine... for now. Now I have to wait on a new line from Clark's again, hopefully the secondhand splitter block isn't the problem.

There is a bright side I suppose. I've got two more weeks left of my four year Engineering Technology degree. Though on the downside that means I have two weeks to finish two major projects and also write a five page report for Wednesday. At least once this is done I can start full time at work and actually be able to afford to work on my car. Also might actually have some time to work on it too.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”