'66 Monza Coupe Project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
91blaze

Re: '66 Monza Coupe Project

Post by 91blaze »

Trying to get more done but the weather is not cooperating. I've managed to start working on getting the engine running better by replacing the throttle shafts and getting 8mm spark plug wires from Clarks. It started raining right as I finished installing the carbs so I will have to wait to test drive it. Meanwhile I have a picture of my corsa dash painted with truck bed paint to give it a nice texture. I had a little trouble getting it masked well but I think it came out fine.

'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Here's a picture of the engine now, forgot to mention that I put a 140 air cleaner on too. I managed to drive it but still had hesitation at lower rpms as if the timing is still off. In addition to a picture I also made a quick video of the engine running. The camera didn't pick up the deeper sound of the exhaust but it still works.

'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

Blaze - I like the look of the dash - exactly what product did you use?

I just finished masking after stripping my first attempt at VHT crinkle paint - if the second try does not come through I just might do the same...

Seems the best results are in 80+ temp, low humidity - not something we get often...

I like the wires - I'll likely need to do the same. Best of luck...
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I used Duplicolor Bed Armor, seems to be pretty good. Just have to be careful pulling up the masking since the paint is pretty rubbery. I think you have to wait till it's completely cured to pull the tape because it wanted to pull up when I only waited an hour. I decided to use it since the crinkle paint sounds really finicky and I like the look better.

A little detail on the hesitation problem. It only happens at higher throttle input and lower RPMs. IT will do it at 2500 RPMS and up only if I floor it. The carbs have been rebuilt and checked over more times than I can count. I replaced the throttle shafts since they seemed a little loose and it was cheap enough. It also has #52 jets. I have the ignitor system and the base timing is at 16 right now. The problem goes away if I advance the timing but then I get pinging on long drives. It acts as if it either is not getting enough fuel or does not have enough advance at high load. I'm going to try putting the new vacuum advance in first then moving on to checking the weights and springs since they may have been swapped out at some time. The distributor is right for this engine as well. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Side note: I get about 3 Hg vacuum at idle, is this too low? I checked this before I did the throttle shafts so I will be checking again. What is a normal vacuum reading?
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

91blaze wrote: Meanwhile I have a picture of my corsa dash painted with truck bed paint to give it a nice texture.
Nice work on the dash repaint :not worthy:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

This has been a busy week for sure. Managed to tackle the whole wiring job and got the new fuse panels in along with the new connectors. Had some problems along the way with a few gauges not being marked correctly for wiring, heater ducts not fitting correctly with the new wire looms, and found that my wiper switch has gone bad so only high works. Also got the seat belts in, which was a big job in itself. The car drives fine but still has the hesitation despite all my efforts, maybe I can get it figured out at the convention. I ran out of time to replace the front brake hoses, which I need to do for the autocross event. Looks like I will have to do that this week too. Couldn't get any pictures but you can check it out at the convention, be sure to stop by and say hello :wave:
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

As you all can guess, I've been pretty busy these last few weeks. I did manage to make it to the convention without too much trouble and put around 1000 miles on it that week. I have been driving it these last two weeks to work and finally managed to break something. I noticed my gen light on when I was driving home tonight and thought I threw a belt, but it was fine. Took out my multimeter and found the battery was almost to 20 volts! I unplugged everything and let the battery go back to normal and drove the rest of the way home without the alternator hooked up. I figure the alternator finally gave out, it was used when I bought it anyways. Now I have to buy a new one tomorrow and get that taken care of. Also have to get a new meter cause mine decided to quite on me while I was troubleshooting the problem. Oh well.

In other news, I bought newly rebuilt carbs at the convention since I was having trouble in those mountainous roads. Unfortunately it still acts like there is a lean condition. Also had trouble with the gauges shorting out because they are so much longer than the stock ones that one of the terminals hit the metal plate behind them. Also managed to score a set of headers which gets me one step closer to getting those heads on. For now I just need to worry about that stinkin alternator.

Also I will hopefully be putting up pictures sometime soon...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: Are you running an alternator with an integrated voltage regulator, or are you using a separate external voltage regulator? With a 20 volt output the regulator would likely be at fault. But if your multimeter has failed for some reason, you might start with a new replacement multimeter to ensure that the 20 volt reading you saw was an accurate reading.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I'm using a 12SI internally regulated alternator. The multimeter was working fine but shut off and came back on a few times. It worked long enough for me to unplug the battery cables and watch the voltage slowly go back down so I think it is the regulator. I've been meaning to buy a new alternator since this one is I believe 60 amps and was used when I bought it. I'm going to the parts store today to see what I can get.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I got the alternator tested yesterday at Autozone and it came up with a failed diode of some sort. I decided to go ahead and buy a replacement 94 amp rebuilt alternator. It works great and my gen light goes off completely now. It used to always glow a little which I was told is normal. I also found out why my right rear tire is wearing quickly, the wheel is toed in pretty badly. I will see if I can adjust that tomorrow.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Corvair alternators rotate the opposite direction compared to regular chevys.. make sure you have the correct pulley to "pull" air through the alt.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I have the original front casing and fan on the alternator so that isn't a problem.

I have some unfortunate news. I had a squeak in the rear end and figured it would either be the u-joints or wheel bearings. Well, I replaced the joints and the squeak is still there so I guess I have to drop the money on a rebuilt set from Clark's. With school starting up now my work hours have been cut and I have no money or time to work on my car. I am still doing what I can but don't expect to hear from me very often unless something major happens. I have two semesters left here so I will be able to do a lot more to my Corvair next year. I will keep you all posted.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Good luck :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
County98

Post by County98 »

Good luck Blaze. Still a lot of good work.

Be a little cautious on the 94 amp alternator. I THINK the 63 amp version is about the max pull limit on 10ga wire. Now, amps will only pull as much as you ask them too, so if you're staying petty stock with what you're asking of it you should be just fine. Just make sure any big pull stuff gets it's own line to the battery.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
County98

Post by County98 »

Nice center caps, btw!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Haha no worries County. I went through and redid the entire wiring of the car and also ran a 4 gauge cable from the battery to my fuse panels. I have 3 separate fuse panels, for constant, ignition, and accessory circuits. I also added relays where necessary, larger wires for major power consumption, and completely rerouted most of the under-dash area. This was back before the convention and everything is working great. That's what bums me out about this current issue, everything is working so well and suddenly this happens. I will get there eventually, hoping to be able to replace them before the Ducktail Run, a huge car show here in Indiana which I love to go to. It starts next week so I'm trying very hard to get the money scraped together.

And I got the idea for the center caps from you by the way, lol. Was a little hard to keep them round when trimming them down.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”