'66 Monza Coupe Project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
91blaze

Re: '66 Monza Coupe Project

Post by 91blaze »

These are the lights I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-WHITE-LED ... 31&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A word of warning though, the headlights are not the best. Granted, they are a bit better than stock, however they are not as good as I had hoped. These will fit without modification and for now they are wired off ignition but I plan on changing to wire them off the parking lights. I'm also working on modifying the buckets to accept aftermarket BMW projectors for the best lighting. If you do decide to go halo, the cob's are better looking but the smd's are brighter and seem to last longer. I'm not exactly sure which type mine is, but a few of the led's have stopped working so I'm not too happy with the longevity. For the price they are ok, but there is better to be had. If you have a little extra money and the time to modify things then I would suggest the BMW lights.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

Thanks for the input Blaze, Now I have an idea. Like Nate has explained, it looks like I'll have to piece them together. Oracle seems to be the one who makes the cob Headlights. Like I said, they are about $90 a piece, but they may be worth it if its going to cost as much to make them.

I have thought about the BMW lights, but I really don't want to gut the headlight buckets. I like the Halo look. It looks kind of sinister on the Corvair.

I'm not even going to attempt this until mine is painted, because in the condition it sits right now, it would look kind of stupid.
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

The weather was nice today so I got a little work done. Managed to pull the shroud and replace the fan pulley. I decided to just buy a bearing installed from Clark's rather than trying to do it myself. In the process I noticed that one of my fan fins was broken, which might have been making cooling issues. I got it running and drove it down the road to check everything out. Noticed a noise from the brakes which is probably a little corrosion from sitting so long. Oddly enough the speedometer is working fine now, not sure what that's about.

On the topic of headlights, I am getting ready to put them in sometime this next week since I'm off for spring break and the weather should be nice. When I get them in and working I will write up a tutorial for those interested. The rest of the week I'm hoping to do the wiring and hopefully the instrument panel. I decided to use the Corsa dash I have with all new VDO gauges.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Headlights are in :woo:

I'm going to make a quick how-to in the DIY section, but here's a couple of pics for those curious.

I will post a link to the tutorial when I'm done with it.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Headlight tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=9666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Been doing a bit of work and revising my plans for the car. I found out that my front bearings need replaced and so does my belt tensioner bearing. I am being proactive and replacing all the bearings I can since they are quite old and prone to go out. I drove my car Saturday on a 2 hour drive each way. The car ran great and didn't have any problems other than the tensioner bearing noise. The front left bearing was making noise last week so I stuck one from a parts car in and seems to be doing well. The new ones are on their way and should be here this week. I also picked up some 140 heads from Levair that have new seats, guides, and reinforced spark plug threads. I just need to clean them up and get new valvetrain in them.

I will post my new plans in a bit once I finish writing them up in a presentable manner.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Plans (Present and Future)

Engine
• 110 Engine Base
• 140 Crankshaft and Heads
• Complete Rebuild and Overhaul
• Deep Valve Seats and New Valve Guides
• Bored .040 Over, Forged Pistons, New Cylinders
• Electronic Fuel Injection and DIS Ignition
• Isky 280 Spec Camshaft
• Dual Exhaust
• Clark’s Valve Covers and Oil Pan
• 12SI Alternator

Suspension
• New Performance Bushings
• Lowering Springs
• Adjustable Shocks
• Replace All Joints and Bearings

Interior
• 1994 Camaro Bucket Seats
• Custom Instrument Panel
• Center Console
• Custom Door Panels
• Reupholster Everything
• Audio System
• Seat Belts
• Grant Steering Wheel
• Gauges- GPS Speedometer, Tachometer, Oil Pressure and Temperature, Fuel, Cylinder Temperature, and Voltage

Exterior
• Z28 Rims and 205/60/15 Tires
• Fix Rust and Damage
• Front and Rear Spoiler
• Shave Fuel Door
• Side Vents for Intake
• Brake Cooling Vents
• Mirrors
• Smooth Front and Rear Bumper Areas

Electrical
• ATO Fuses
• WeatherPack Connectors
• Modern Relays
• Cruise Control
• Keyless Entry
• LED Lighting
• Projector Headlights

Brakes
• Dual Master Cylinder
• Rebuild Brakes
• New Lines and Adaptors

I think I have everything here but I will update when I get more done.
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Good shopping list. :tu: I had a long one with my recent Rampside project. Still not at the end. But if you keep wittling away at it
and do a bit each week... it gets done with gratification. Sure beats car payments! Your Monza is looking good. :clap: Have fun driving that beauty!

Corventure Dave
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Thanks Dave. I plan on having it done by next winter but that depends on how my new job works out.
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

Good list. I was actually about to post mine on my '68. ::-): Looking forward to seeing your progress.
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Been an interesting couple of weeks lately. Decided to drive my car to work a few weeks ago and ended up with a broken clutch cable. It jus so happened to let go as i was pulling in at my work, which is 45 minutes from my house. That was a fun drive... But now its fixed and im working on getting it to run better. I have had this lifter tick sort of noise since i got the car but it has gotten a bit louder recently. I went through and readjusted all the valves to see if that was the problem. Quite a few were loose and out of adjustement. That seemed to quiet the noise a bit and actually made it run better. Now it starts up faster and runs smoother. The noise is still there though so i forsee pulling all the lifters next weekend to find which one is being noisy. In the meantime i have got the timing and idle back to factry settings to chase down the timing problem i have been dealing with. I will keep this updated on what i figure out.

I also ran to the junkyard today and picked up some parts. Found some seats that will fit a bit better out of a Hyundai Tiberon, an ebrake handle to relocate it between the seats, and started looking for parts for efi. Hopefully once school is done in a few weeks i will have more time to work on this. My new job has really been making it hard to find time to do anything with the car. But i need money to do what i need to... its a vicious cycle.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Got to drive it yesterday and everything seems well. The tick finally went away, guess a lifter was stuck or something. I still plan on pulling and cleaning the lifters this weekend, so I need to know if anything needs to be done before putting them back in. Do I need to use a special grease/oil on them or am I okay without it? I have thought about completely rebuilding the engine before the convention because it would be easier to just get it all done at once. Of course that means the suspension and interior would have to wait. I guess I will just have to wait and see how things work out. Hoping things go well on the trip to Michigan in a few weeks.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Yet another weekend with a little more done... and found another problem. I managed to get the front wheel bearings removed, new lug nuts that are the right type now, and replaced the vacuum advance, which caused a problem. After having driven it all day today I decided to replace the advance in hopes that it would fix the timing issue I seem to be experiencing. It ran fine for a while, but once it got warmed up it started to run very badly. It would hesitate like the timing was too retarded, even though the timing light showed 14 degrees at idle still, just like stock. I got a vacuum gauge and found it would go to about 3-4 in Hg at idle and increase from there. I'm not sure if the part is bad or what but I'm going to put the old one back on for now until I get the time to mess with it. After this week my classes will be over for the summer so I will be able to do more, but for now I have to wait until next weekend. Hope to have good news by then.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Good luck :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Soo.. apparently my coil that I bought last year went bad. I swapped it out and that seemed to solve the problem. Runs great so I hope it makes it to Michigan on Thursday. Also started stripping and repainting the corsa gauge cluster and trimmed down some Monza horn buttons to put on the wheel center caps, picture below.
Attachments
IMG_1496.JPG
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”