Possible 65 Corsa - looking to buy

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
DT-VAIR

Possible 65 Corsa - looking to buy

Post by DT-VAIR »

So I found this Corsa which I posted the decoding here : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The pics are below - the story I have is:

Corsa 180 Turbo coupe. Parked for 10 years - claims the engine turns. Said floor pans and trunk pans are good. Said he rebuilt the turbo before it was parked. Brake line is rusted - needs replacing and the rear quarter panel on the driver's side is rusted. He said he'd replace the bottom half or that panel. He said aside from that - it's solid. I know to take that with a very large grain of salt! Said he's owned the car since 1991. Clear title. Interior looks a little rough and dirty and I can't even tell if there's a back seat (though I think it's there) - exterior looks dirty and I can't tell much more. I do see that it's missing the trim around the front well from what I see. I don't know much else about it - I get little by little from the owner. I don't know miles, etc either. I see what looks like could be rust in the front corner of the cowl and I see rust on the steering column. He claims there's really carpet in there. The hub caps - look like they're right? 10 years of dirt and grime - added to bad and limited pics makes it hard to really see what's going on. I really just want to wash the darn thing right now! I don't know what may be living in the engine or tunnel - but I'm sure something is, or has.

I'm sure it needs a good amount of work after it gets cleaned up. The asking price is $2k - I'm going up to see it on Saturday. Should I consider this or am I getting myself into a hell of a lot of work? Or would it be worth it with a lot of work. I know there's not a lot of these, and I've read some issues the Turbo can give to people - but this won't be a daily driver. I know I just got out of a project - but maybe this one is worth more frustrations...

Who knows - I could get up there and the thing is just total garbage - but even with the bad pictures it doesn't look TOO beat up outside - at least the side I can see. :tongue:
Side.jpg
Side.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 718 times
inside.jpg
inside.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 718 times
seat1.jpg
seat2.jpg
1st one - 65 Monza Vert with power top and 110 with a 4 spd. Was a bit dilapidated but fun, 2nd was a 1965 Corvair Monza Convertible. PG - 1960 or 61 or 63 80 hp engine - we think...
thatcorvairguy

Re: Possible 65 Corsa - looking to buy

Post by thatcorvairguy »

To me the key is rust. I think a rust turbo car is worth about $600, mostly just for the parts.
DT-VAIR

Post by DT-VAIR »

True - rust is nobody's friends. A quarter can maybe be ok... But how much more might I find is the big question.
1st one - 65 Monza Vert with power top and 110 with a 4 spd. Was a bit dilapidated but fun, 2nd was a 1965 Corvair Monza Convertible. PG - 1960 or 61 or 63 80 hp engine - we think...
Bowtie Country

Post by Bowtie Country »

You need to be able to get under it and see the floor pans or take up the carpet. Any holes in the bottom of the door pillars indicates major internal issues, which you've already been introduced to.

Definitely turn the engine over. With a socket/wrench at least, or a battery with the starter.

The price for a fairly clean body doesn't seem out of line, but if it's in the condition your previous car was, then you may want to pass. Restoration of a rusty body gets expensive quick, if you can't do it yourself.

Good Luck with the hunt... :tu:
DT-VAIR

Post by DT-VAIR »

Thanks Bowtie - I was planning on bringing the tools again to take things apart, etc. I'm bringing a buddy with too who is better with engine work than me to help me investigate that also. I think I'm more interested in the fact that they're kind of rare - and if it's in decent shape it might not be bad. But there's no way I'm getting into another messed up rust bucket/pop riveted car again! Maybe I'll luck out. I'll keep everyone posted as to the progress.

Thanks for the help as always guys - much appreciated!

Tony
DT-VAIR

Post by DT-VAIR »

Well another bust. Car had far more rust than he thought - and it was pretty obvious! The engine turning - yea he just turned the fan so that must mean the engine turns! It was the right car with right engine, etc - but needed more help than I could give it. He had an extra turbo in the back and a trunk full of parts. He had 4 engines sitting in the garage - probably hadn't touched anything in 20 years. Another wasted drive - but at least again only $35 in gas and a day of driving - but at least this time with a driving buddy. And the hunt continues!
Bowtie Country

Post by Bowtie Country »

Bummer.........gotta look in the "dry states. CO, NV, NM, AZ, CA, TX

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”