Building a Corvair GT

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
MonzaDave

Building a Corvair GT

Post by MonzaDave »

I just finished a synopsis of my recently completed Corvair restomod project and the document is attached. I plan to fully document the project someday, but have other projects that currently have higher priority.
Building a Corvair GT.pdf
Project Synopsis
(5.38 MiB) Downloaded 501 times
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
myhotrod

Re: Building a Corvair GT

Post by myhotrod »

VERY nice ! This is what a 65 Corvair would like as a 2014 model. Nice detail and good planning. Great car.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Great planning and execution. How did the sound system work out? I'm planning a Kenwood single-DIN head unit in a similar installation in my 1966 Corsa convertible. Did you run into any problems or do you have any recommendations regarding the radio trim bezel modification and securing a modern DIN head unit in a Corvair dash? I'm also wondering if the sound deadening material would be a worthwhile exercise in a convertible?

Because it is a convertible, rear speaker options are more limited. I am tentatively planning two downward firing 10" subwoofers in low-profile sealed boxes, on the floor behind each front seat. Twin Kenwood amps in the trunk on the package shelf will handle power for front and rear speakers and the two subwoofers. I'm also tentatively looking at a pair of Bose cube module rear surface mount speakers for rear fill in, and a pair of Polk Audio 6½ component front speakers with separate tweeters on each side in the front.

ImageImage
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

The sound system worked out fine, but if I had it to do over again, I'd leave the original AM/FM radio that was in the car. We've driven the car 6K miles and listened to the radio a total of about 10 minutes. Between the engine, exhaust, and wind noise, the radio is just one more noise source -- and one too many. The engine and exhaust sound so great, that drowning them out with the radio seems criminal (and annoying).

The sound control materials helped a lot -- I think. I didn't drive the car after buying it back from my brother, so I have no basis for comparison. However the engine is much more noisy (it was built loose and has forged pistons) than my 110hp '66 convert, and so is the exhaust. However, my wife and I have no problem holding a normal conversation when going down the highway at 65 -- as long as the radio is off.

The bezel is the one down by BucketBoss several years ago (and no longer available).
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

Great job. super nice bet it rides and drives like a dream.
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”