Factory Oil-Bath Pre-Filter Added To My 1964 Spyder

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Joe West
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Factory Oil-Bath Pre-Filter Added To My 1964 Spyder

Post by Joe West »

Hi Gang,

Those of you who frequent the Corvair Center forum are familiar with the addition of this accessory to my Corvair this week. For those of you who are not, here are the details.

In 1964 and 1965, Chevrolet offered an oil-bath prefilter for the spyder (64) and corsa (65). It may have been offered as an option for the corsa in 1966 as well, I am not sure. Approximately 7 years ago, I purchased the special chrome air filter housing that is one of the two turbo only parts for this option. The oil bath pre-filter assembly and mount are standard 1964 oil bath parts (non-A/C) and I was able to acquire the mount, oil bath base, oil bath filter, and the wing stud from Clark's. This left me needing one part, the outlet assembly, which is the second of the two turbo only parts. Finding the outlet proved tough. Years go by and I keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist to no avail. I was beginning to think that I would need to fabricate the outlet assembly, which was a less than optimum option for me, since I wanted ALL of the parts to be factory parts. A month or so ago I was digging through my parts stash looking for items to donate when I ran into my turbo oil bath assembly. I decided to start digging for the outlet assembly and posted a part-wanted ad on Corvair Center. On a lark, I decided to email Clark's corvair to ask Mark if he would dig through his oil bath assembly parts to see if he could locate the turbo outlet assembly. By some miracle, he found one. $30 and 5 days later, the part was in my hand.

Last week, I took the parts to my powder coater to have them sandblasted and powder coated. I've attached pictures of the results in this thread.

First... here is the assembly diagram from the 1964 Corvair Assembly Manual:
Screen shot 2013-08-10 at 11.41.20 AM.png
And here are the pictures of the parts installed on my Spyder:
corvair175.jpg
corvair176.jpg
corvair177.jpg
corvair178.jpg
corvair179.jpg
If you are interested, there are a few more shots of my Corvair in the thread for the September Car of the Month.
Joe F. West
http://www.corvairspyder.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flat6_musik

Re: Factory Oil-Bath Pre-Filter Added To My 1944 Spyder

Post by flat6_musik »

Factory Oil-Bath Pre-Filter Added To My 1944 Spyder

Must be the earliest production number ever! ::-): Hey, that is SUPER cool! I'm into this kind of stuff. I've seen the turbo air cleaner assys on Ebay with that slanted air inlet and thought that it might be for an oil bath setup. I'll bet your paper element will look like new forever! Makes me actually wonder if you'd even need a paper element.
rv6aaviator

Re: Factory Oil-Bath Pre-Filter Added To My 1964 Spyder

Post by rv6aaviator »

Wow! Interesting. Never saw or read anything about these. The unit and your car look really nice. :tu:
Jeff Sandor
Prez Cincinnati Corvair Club
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
martinclukey

Post by martinclukey »

I am not interested to your thread because your thread are a spam-my thanks......
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

that looks great & so does your car. very cool you got all the parts to make it happen. turbo oil bath parts are really rare - ya you know that. :tu:

-Scott V.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”