63 Spyder Preservation

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 63 Spyder Preservation

Post by VairGrl Missy »

Wow, looking fantastic :tu: !! It makes me smile to see an EM getting so much love!!!! Keep up the wonderful work!!
:EMs Rule:
Miss
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
'62 Monza Lola under construction
'63 Monza Lucy Now retired to Corvair Heaven
:EMs Rule:
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Car has about 400 miles on the mechanical rebuild. Running great. How about that tow capacity!
Attachments
Vair Tow.jpg
Jeff Sandor
Prez Cincinnati Corvair Club
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hey was just reading this and wondered how much it was to do the head work, if you dont mind me asking?
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

I keep telling her that it will be warmer soon......but I think with all the fresh snow, it still might be several weeks! :doh:
Attachments
2014-01-25 13.33.16.jpg
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
robmacdl

Post by robmacdl »

wow Nice job, I am chasing your tail. I just got my 63 900 Monza convertible. May have to do the same floor boards, front and rear suspension. Don't know about power train yet.

Bob from Freehold, NJ
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Awesome work! Looks great, even in the snow!
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Took the plunge on taking the car back out of service since the mechanical rebuild. Moving onto the cosmetics. Started this week by removing bumpers, trim, headlights, tail lights, convertible top, most of the interior, front windshield, door glass and mechanics. Everything bagged and labeled. Lots of ziplock bags. Took about 10 hours over a few evenings. No surprises so far.
Attachments
Front Windshield.jpg
Spyder Resto Interior.jpg
Resto Glass Out.jpg
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
UGLYTRUK

Post by UGLYTRUK »

Sweet!!!
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Here's a few pictures since starting paint removal. I debated on soda blasting the car vs chemical strippers. I decided it will take a little bit of both. I ordered an Eastwood soda blaster last week. Since I'm waiting on delivery, I thought I would start it the old fashion way for a while. The pictures you see here are after about 10 hours of labor using a chemical stripper and 80 grit sanding disks. Not too labor intensive, messy or smelly considering I found 3 coats of paint & 2 coats of primer (original white, gray primer and a medium blue, red primer and darker blue.)

I have about 50% of the car down to bare metal and feel fortunate to not have found any rust so far. I have found areas of filler in several locations but after sanding all the filler off, clean metal has appeared! Going to continue the course with stripper and 80 grit. Then use the soda blaster on the trunk, door jambs and all the nooks and crannies.
Attachments
Body Strip 2.jpg
Body Strip 1.jpg
Body Strip 3.jpg
Body Strip 4.jpg
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
UGLYTRUK

Post by UGLYTRUK »

How does the soda blaster differ from a sandblaster? I have a SB, and even with an air supplied hood/tent ($450), I still get sand in my clothes, and the plastic screen needs to be protected w a thin plastic sheet w tape that doesn't stick. a PIA. But is sure cuts thru ANY rust!
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

I think the main difference is the abrasiveness of the media. Soda is much less abrasive. I am going to experiment with a few different types of media and post my findings on what works well. I know it will be the right tool to get in tight spots such as door jambs, inside door panels, around trunk weather strip channels as well as many others. And it was a good excuse to buy another tool.
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Looking good.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
UGLYTRUK

Post by UGLYTRUK »

Does it use the same blaster? I have a medium pressurized
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

great job looking good!
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

More stripping this weekend. Worked primarily on the front and rear of car. Soda blaster also arrived this week so I got it hooked up and tried it out. Thumbs up on the Eastwood dual canister soda/media blaster. It will be a good tool now and in the future. However, I quickly realized that chemical stripping is much faster on the larger flat surface areas.

Picture 1 shows how the paint reacts after the application of air craft stripper and 10 minute elapsed time. At this point its time to take a plastic and metal scrapper and scrap it off. Then in looks like picture 2. Reapply stripper and take off another layer paint/primer. It helps to reapply a new application of stripper for each coat of paint or primer. It will not remove bondo. Seems cumbersome but really easy. Takes me about 3 to 4 applications of stripper before I hit it with 80 grit and make it shinny.
Attachments
Body Strip 7.jpg
Body Strip 9.jpg
Jeff Sandor
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Wow great pics! Love seeing the stripper in action and the bare metal hood! Mine will look similar very soon. I hope I'm as lucky with the amount of rust I find.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”