my 65 Turbo

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Bobby65

Re: my 65 Turbo

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah i salvaged the alternator/oil filter bracket, bellhousing, and the flywheel, and a few other things, and the trans and diff, the diff is in the bed of my friends truck to help with traction, i couldnt get the heads off, so i scrapped the long block, got $50! and the other day I went and fired up the corvair with my friend and took it for a spin, it has so much power compared to the valiant, and i didn't even hit boost, I cant wait to get it out in the spring and start using it as my driver it again, and dump this valiant, but i need to reseal the turbo and put bearings in the Corvair before i drive it much more, but that's a weekend project. Here is a vid my friend took when I fired it up http://twitter.yfrog.com/fksd8sumescgtbhguwnkyhnhz
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks for the vid link :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
corvairnutt 1969

Post by corvairnutt 1969 »

awsome work.
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

so i cant seem to stay on one car for long, i went to look at a 65 corsa convert today, no engine trans or differential, no steering column or instrument cluster, and its missing some interior parts but its straight, and someone has already replaced the bottoms of the fenders, making the exterior rust-free, the passenger side A pillar is rusty but a complete rust free A pillar is included for patch material, the drivers floor is great the passenger floor needs to be replaced or patched, but he has the replacement pan, the frame rails are good and the rockers are good, and the doors don't sag when you open the doors so its still structrually sound, the guy is asking $400, the power top works as did all the electronics when he had the battery in it, and all the brake lines are new as are the shoes and wheel cylinders, so i think i am going to buy it, spend some time on the passenger side A Pillar, then take the drivetrain from my coupe and bolt it in and be down the road, there is slight bubbling on the bottom of the passenger side rear quarter and the lip on the decklid
Attachments
65 corsa.jpg
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

well i bought it, $400, went with a tow dolly to bring it home and couldn't rig up the suspention up to get it home so I'm going back with a flatbed next weekend, the vin plate in the engine compartment is missing and the title has a typo on the vin number so i get to see if i can get the hidden vin legible and show the secretary of state
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
sam60

Post by sam60 »

Bobby65 wrote:well i bought it, $400, went with a tow dolly to bring it home and couldn't rig up the suspention up to get it home so I'm going back with a flatbed next weekend, the vin plate in the engine compartment is missing and the title has a typo on the vin number so i get to see if i can get the hidden vin legible and show the secretary of state
I doubt that you will be able to get John Kerry to crawl under it! ::-):
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

so i got the title straightened around on the vert, but major rust has me slowed down for now, but i just got the 65 turbo back on the road for this year, i never really appreciated the fact that this car has 64xxx miles on it, after driving a 1985 pontiac grand prix, a 1975 plymouth valiant, and a 63 corvair over the course of the winter and spring, then coming back to this car, this car drives better than any one of three i drove over the winter, and its the fastest and most fun out of all of them, like even my frien who drives a 2000 S-10 commented on how much better my 65 vair drives and rides, the vair has no clunks or rattles or any of the noises that his truck makes, or any of my other cars had, he was following me home after i got the vair out of storage, and he said he had his truck floored and i was still pulling away, and i wasnt even trying! this car is so much fun, i had almost forgotten why i like corvairs over any other car! :Love it: the 63 was fun and it my favorite second to this car, but it just needs alot of tlc, and I'm just going to sell it and work on my Late models :LMs rule:
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

went to a car show, and i got alot of attention, alot of stories, then on the the way out i laid down two black strips through second gear right down main street :guitar: , (everyone was doing it :dontknow: ) and i just watched peoples jaws drop in my rearview, Ive never tried a burnout before, and turns out it will do them :burnout: then i opened it up on a long flat stretch in the country, and it hauls it from 40 on :chevy: :rafman: :guitar: Im loving this 65
Attachments
IMG_4759.JPG
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

well broke my differential this evening, :assault: tomorrow i will throw a spare on, and no more burnouts! :burnout: :nono:
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Bobby65 wrote:well broke my differential this evening, :assault: tomorrow i will throw a spare on, and no more burnouts! :burnout: :nono:
Been there...done that... first the spider gears in the diff, then the ring and pinion when the rebuilder didn't set it up right the first time... swapped in a longer-ratio diff for lower RPMs on the freeway. Cody on the Corvair Center forum's dad blew up his tranny with his V8 conversion... they just aren't built to take that kind of pounding.. I take it easier on 50+ year old parts these days.
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

got new wheels and tires on the vair, 15 by 8 in the back, 14 by 7 in front, looks sweet! and this evening me and some friends tore into the quarter panel, got the replacement about ready to put on, getting the inner wheel well patches made, alot of progress for one night, hopefully only one or two more days of work and it will be done
Attachments
corvair rally wheels.jpg
corvair.jpg
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

did a quick shitty paintjob, i just needed it to not be blue, it was getting a little too much bad attention around town lol, :evil: but i kinda like the flat black, this car has something about it that just makes it look meaner than any other corvair i have ever seen or owned, me and my friends have been trying to figure it out for a while and we cant, its just a special one that has character like no other, and the flat black fits this car so well, im probbably going to have it professionally done next spring, i have the quarter off right now,i just need to trim it up, im waiting on the battery tray to get here before i get the new quarter mounted, i just ordered $362 of parts from clarks $303 just in patch panels, and a wheel cylinder for the drivers front, i rebuilt them but a bolt snapped on the one on the drivers front so I'm just replacing it, im thinking of painting the hood like the car from "death proof" I'm thinking it would be pretty badass
Attachments
black corvair.jpg
black corvair.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Grind-Death.jpg
Grind-Death.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
BRhPeKaCUAA_jIL.jpg
BRhPeKaCUAA_jIL.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

Here's some pictures from the last month or so :rafman: :chevy: in no particular order
Attachments
corvair weld 9.jpg
corvair weld 1.jpg
corvair weld 2.jpg
corvair weld 3.jpg
corvair weld 4.jpg
corvair weld 5.jpg
corvair weld 6.jpg
corvair weld 7.jpg
corvair weld 8.jpg
corvair weld 10.jpg
corvair before.jpg
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

got it all back together! I love this car now more than ever now! it finally looks decent, it looks so mean, idk its just such a transformation in the last few weeks, its amazing, its just finally coming together :rafman: :guitar:
Attachments
corvair black.jpg
corvair black.jpg (33.7 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
back corvair black.jpg
back corvair black.jpg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Nice. "Vairy" nice.
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

so i got side tracked with this car about 3 years ago, i got a toyota aw11 MR2 loved it but it was rusty as all hell, then an mk1 vw gti, but got bored of fwd, and after that a bmw e30, an 86 325 that i have since rebuilt, and motor swapped, had painted, redone the interior and all the suspension, and all the while my 65 has sat neglected behind my friends barn, for about 3 years or so, this past summer i pulled it out and got it runnning again, and have replaced the floors and fixed alot of rust, im working on the drivers A pillar right now, but it feels good to be giving this car the love it deserves, and it really still needs a ton of work, i will post some pics as soon as i get them on my computer
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”