my 65 Turbo

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
God.favored

Re: my 65 Turbo

Post by God.favored »

Hey very cool, I had a 64 valiant convertible. 273 v8
ncwitte
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by ncwitte »

Sacrifice the water pumper to the winter gods! Spare the Corvair!

Right move.
Norm Witte
Lansing, Michigan
'65 Corsas: 140 coupe and 180 convertible
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4208
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah i figured it was a cool car, not as cool as the corvair though, and i've always liked the look of them, and the price was right, and a 75' 4 door slant 6 would be no big deal to let rust away, its been undercoated so theres almost no rust on it, so I'm going to paint the spots that are starting to rust, just to keep it from getting bad for a while yet
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Bobby65 wrote:so I'm cheating on my Corvair... I bought a 1975 Plymouth Valiant for $650, slant 6, 4 door, automatic, been sitting for a few years, I'm going to get it going, and use it as my winter car, and summer back up, i go to pick it up next week, I know its not a corvair, but i figured i would let you know
That's so thoughfull :tongue:

But really - thanks for the note and pic- Even if it is not a vair we love the car hobby and like to hear and see what projects are going on. Great job on getting an old car on the road. :goodpost:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

What's funny is they called that fan a "squirrel cage" :rolling:

And slant 6 Mopars?......you can't kill one! :tu: I know, I used to commute 150 miles a day in one for years!

Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

I just got my licence and am having alot of fun driving the corvair around, it has alot more get up and go then i thought, i never got to really step on it before :burnout: :burnout:
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

i went to ncwitte's place today and checked out his beautiful Corsa convertible, his upgraded Corsa, and his olds! he is putting together, he was nice enough to give me most of the corsa badges i need to turn mine into a corsa!, and the turbo-charged emblem for the decklid!, pretty much just need the dash panel now, i wasn't going to bother, but I'm halfway there now! thanks again, Norm! :ty:
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
ncwitte
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by ncwitte »

Bobby, you're welcome, and very nice to meet you. I'm very impressed with the work you're doing on your car. Keep it up! I think it's awesome that you're giving the car a new life and gaining a bunch of skills in the process.
Norm Witte
Lansing, Michigan
'65 Corsas: 140 coupe and 180 convertible
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4208
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

Good call on getting the 4 door car for a winter beater. It's a 4 door, so who cares what happens to it, if anything would happen.
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp 4spd
1992 BMW 325ic
1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4
dawgfishx wrote:Pennsylvanians...Annoying the British since 1775 ! ;-)
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah its a 75 last year for the valiant, the least desirible model, 4 door, slant 6, auto, almost no options, and its still a cool classic, in my book anyway, and like you say, if something happens to it, so what
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

just got registration and insurance on the valiant, and just got back from the first drive, its awfully slow compared to the corvair, and boaty, but it will get me through the winter
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Bobby65 wrote:.......its awfully slow compared to the corvair, and boaty...
It's funny.....if I remember correctly, a front sway bar was still an optional item on those Mopar A-bodys up until the end, in '76. My old auto shop teacher drove a cheapo duster without a front sway bar and we told him we saw sparks coming from his door handles in the turns. :rolling:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

A new driver with a new license sailing a Plymouth Valient "boat" on slick Michigan roads. Please... take it easy, drive safely, and enjoy your Corvair next spring on those beautiful Michigan roads following the winter thaw!

WARNING! Back in "my day" speech ahead...

I got my first license and learned how to drive and work on Corvairs in 1969. -- in sunny California. I didn't have to learn about driving on snow and ice until the Air Force shipped me to the Boston area in Massachusetts in 1977 (driving a front engine, rear wheel drive Datsun 240Z). I never wrecked it, but I did spin out a few times. Then I shipped my two Corvairs to West Germany in 1980 and learned about black ice over there. And I had the benefit of several years of driving experience backing me up! I also learned a lot more about driving on slick winter roads while driving a Dodge Crew Cab 4x4 on mountain roads in South Korea in 1988. So far, one accident (on black ice) in Germany the day after Christmas in 1981 (driving a friend's old Mercedes). So take it easy and allow yourself to learn gradually as you gain experience.
yeah its a 75 last year for the valiant, the least desirible model, 4 door, slant 6, auto, almost no options, and its still a cool classic, in my book anyway, and like you say, if something happens to it, so what
If something happens, so what? It depends on what also happens to the driver of the Valient, and what or who else is involved if "something happens"!
just got registration and insurance on the valiant, and just got back from the first drive, its awfully slow compared to the corvair, and boaty, but it will get me through the winter
You are the driver, and you will get you through the winter. Please, take it easy when the weather is bad!

Sounds like you are doing some great things with your Corvair! I am looking forward to hearing more about your progress.

Having moved here from Pennsylvania, I'm glad to be in North Carolina as winter approaches. I enjoy reading your posts. Keep 'em coming!
:tu:

1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible 140HP 4-speed
1991 Toyota Supra Turbo
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Truck
2003 Yamaha FJR1300 Motorcycle
2002 Suzuki GSX-1300R Hayabusa Motorcycle
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah i haven't checked but thats the first thing my dad said on the first drive, "this thing feels like the swaybar isn't hooked up or is broken!" and this is about as low optioned as they came, so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have one, and bbodie, yeah my parents always made me drive when i had my permit, so i got to experience the fun of snow last year, and without incident, ::-): but yes i know to take it easy in the winter, and by "get me through the winter" i meant it wouldn't leave me on the side of the road in 0 degree weather, something i wouldn't trust my corvair to do, it doesn't like 40 degree weather, let alone 0 or below :doh:
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

and i have to ask, wich car do you think is a better car, the 240z or the corvair?
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I liked my 1973 240Z, and sold it in Massachusetts when they shipped me off to Germany. But I did take two Corvair Corsas with me to Kaiserslautern (one convertible and one coupe) so perhaps that answers your question about the 240Z. I did buy a 1983 Datsun 280ZX 2+2 T-Top when I returned to the USA and moved to the Los Angeles area in 1985 (needed back seats to accommodate my two sons). That was later replaced by my 1991 Toyota Supra Turbo (Targa Top) which I still own. But my current Corsa convertible is Corvair number 10 in my life. The first arrived in our family when I was about nine years old in 1961 -- a Monza coupe. The second was a new 1965 Corsa convertible that my father purchased new. I learned to drive in that car, and got my first driver's license in California in that 1965 Corsa. The next Corvair was a 1963 500 PG with a frozen engine and bad automatic transmission. I was 16 in the summer of 1969 when Neil Armstrong took his first step on the moon and I was learning to rebuild my first Corvair engine.

So Corvairs have been a part of my parents' lives, and by extension a part of my life since I was a single-digit kid. Other cars have come and gone, but the Corvairs persist. So I guess they continue to be my favorite.

Sorry about the perhaps unnecessary nagging about winter driving safety, but I have seen several young drivers or passengers lose their lives as a result of bad winter driving where inexperience, and in one case texting on a cell phone while driving in Pennsylvania winter weather cost them their lives. Winter roads can be deadly, even with a lot of driving experience. Being a new driver just increases the risk, so I guess I felt concern and needed to say something, for whatever it might be worth to you. The responsibility of being a driver is new to you, as is driving in Michigan in the winter. Just try not to hav a sense of over-confidence. Winter roads can bite you when you least expect it, and with no warning. Have safe winter!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”