1966 corsa vert, Resurrection!

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Mike D

1966 corsa vert, Resurrection!

Post by Mike D »

about two weeks ago i purchased a red 66, corsa vert with many upgrades done to it. it was a 10? year old resto, and had been basicly been sitting in a barn ever since. I ifinally got it running today, the carb on .this carb is a bit of a handfull dont be surprised it some for of megasquirt driven fuel injection happens in the future

Also, has anybody ever updated one of these to a rack&pinion setup? i was thinking about pulling a manual rack from a miata and making it work...

Some upgrades include lowering springs, adjustable shocks, adjustable rear controll arms, otto valve covers, oil pan, lightweight pistons moly rings equal length headers, and holly 4 barrel double pump 390cfm carb.

the paint looked good from 7 feet, but up close you can see flaws, Its a great Driver.

What it needed
Roof
carb rebuild
tank drained
interior assemble And LOTS of small trim. im still looking for much of it, so if your parting out a 66 convertable, PM me

here are some pics

cad-kid

Re: 1966 corsa vert, Resurrection!

Post by cad-kid »

:coolphotos: I like the color!

Thanks for posting the pics.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

Agreed...we had the red paint debate not long ago. Very nice shade! Let us know how it drives, I have the same 140 setup on my coupe. Enjoy!
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

Looks like a nice ride.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Red is frankly not my first choice, however it shines up ok, and came with the car. so it will probably not change colors in this owners time with it.

Has anybody ever done a rack&pinion conversion to a corvair? although this steering system is in good shape, with lots of newer bushings, it would be nice to update it something that translates some more feel.

Thankfully this car doesnt look like it would be hard to convert, A manual rack will work fine due to low front end weight. I was looking into using the rack from a second gen Rx7, still need to take some more mesurements though.

Mike d
Matt

Post by Matt »

Nice looking project, shouldn't take too much work to get the details taken care of. Maybe put that steering idea on hold and get everything else sorted first and see if you still think it needs help.
'63 Spyder vert
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

yea, it was in the idea phase, but it will need to wait. i ran across a rather large snag last night and as of now i have no wheels for the car

the previouse owner relocated the wheels studs so he could set the existing wheels on the car. when drilling them he was less than precise which was causing erract brake behavior (the front right wheel would just lock up under mild braking, which would rip the steering wheel out of your hands)

ive since reverted the car back to a stock lug pattern, which was as easy as just banging all the studs out, and resetting them in the hubs. But now i have no wheels that will fit the car. So its on jackstands for awhile

FML

also, whats this i hear about the cars stock offset being different from other GM 5 bolt cars? and links that will help me size up new wheels?
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

well, i built a disk brake setup today,, Tommorow ill fit the master cyl ,i cant wait

God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Very cool! like the color, and the disk brake setup is awesome! id like to do that some day.
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Hey Mike, nice car! I dunno why, I don't think I ever saw this thread. Hey, how big is that Holley? LOL Don't pump that baby too many times before starting! Yes, I'll bet that strange wheel/stud/brake problem is what sent that car into the barn for so long. Looks like you're hot on it already!
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

the holly is a 390cfm

although the owner before me did a few things very wrong,, he also did a few things right,, this motor is one of them.

it has not ticks, rattles, or any real issues. and it starts (now) first crank every time, despite the carb not having a choke.
it also sounds mean as hell, cherrybomb extreme mufflers are a perfect fit
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

GOOD LOOKING RIDE, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. Jimbo
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

i got the master cylinder fitted today,, i ended up using the master from a 1994 ford f150,, seams to be the perfect size,, and cheap too, at 42$ brand new from the local autoparts store.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

i got the new wheels fitted, They look good, and the darker color offsets the stupidly bright paint

Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:eek: She is a nice ride. Bet that sounds and runs nasty. The brake set up , what was the items from for your disc and calaiper and did you make your own adapter plates? I have two disc brake setup. Bought the back plates and pieced the rest. :dontknow: Crazy George :think:

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”