Mr Redd, the '65 Corvair GT

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
MonzaDave

Mr Redd, the '65 Corvair GT

Post by MonzaDave »

I've had a project in process for the last several years. I'm building a Corvair GT from my wife's '65 Monza, Mr. Redd. It's a car that Chevrolet should have built, but didn't. It takes the Fitch approach to a whole new level with major mods to the interior and a performance-built engine. It's a nuts-and-bolts restoration with everything rebuilt, refurbished, and replaced with new. Following are a few pictures
My conceptual target
My conceptual target
Starting point
Starting point
Forty years of storage left a nice patina of rust -- and a 30 gallon leaf bag of mouse nests!
Forty years of storage left a nice patina of rust -- and a 30 gallon leaf bag of mouse nests!
Sandblasting and new front floor pans worked wonders.
Sandblasting and new front floor pans worked wonders.
All neat and tidy and painted with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator.
All neat and tidy and painted with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
MonzaDave

Mr Redd's Instrument Panel

Post by MonzaDave »

Here are some pictures of the instrument panel in my Mr. Redd restomod. I was going to use a Corsa panel, but decided I didn't like all the separate gauges sitting down in little "tunnels" The center gauge is a quad with Fuel, Temp (oil), Volts, and Oil Pressure. The speedometer is electronic driven from a pulse generator on the end of the speedometer cabe. Two CHT gauges will go in the underdash console along with the SafeGuard monitor. Gauges are Classic Instruments.
Gauge cluster
Gauge cluster
Back of cluster showing gauge mounting method
Back of cluster showing gauge mounting method
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Mr Redd, the '65 Corvair GT

Post by UNSAFE »

Wow - that undercarriage work looks incredible !!!!

I'd be afraid to drive it - I'd just hang it on the wall as "Art".

Your concept pic reminds me of a guy up here that had an old VW (Jetta I think) He put an Alfa emblem on the grill and it fooled me . I even asked him about "his Alfa" DOH !
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”