Corvair Lakewood 61 - NL

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Iceland Spyder
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Corvair Lakewood 61 - NL

Post by Iceland Spyder »

So father Christmas came with some gifts for the holiday, nice of him. He knows what the Corvair kid´s need. Good George.
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Apittslife wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:24 am When you finish Her, dont be afraid to drive Her. Thats what She was built for! Nothing worse then a Beautiful car sitting in a garage under a cover because the owner is afraid to take Her out & drive Her!
When i'm done i will be happy to drive it around! i need to catch up from all those years not driving hahahaha!

All others thanks! and yes i'm back in the workshop preparing more for the drivetrain!
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Kewl, & may she give you & your's, several generations more Enjoyment!
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Apittslife wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:26 am Kewl, & may she give you & your's, several generations more Enjoyment!
Luckely my little girl is just 6,5 months old, so i got a couple of years left to drive her to prom :rolling:
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

625.JPG
Liquid Gold! Kroon Classic
running in engine oil
Regular engine oil
diff oil and PG fluid

Next step is to finish the drivetrain!

And i find the missing nuts for bolting the axles to the rear suspension!
Last edited by TikiRalf on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Allright we did some work again. The Thermostat units.
I checked my engine and my spare engine and used the best of both. After some evening hammering, straighting it out i got it fix and test on the engine. When that was done paint and rebuild the mechanical inside (new thermostats, new bushing and some more parts).
Both are ready for the engine, but i need some small parts before i can put them on. next step is i think the fan and cooling shrouds.

Old VS New
626.JPG
New VS New
627.JPG
Thanks!
Last edited by TikiRalf on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Go ahead, put the rest of us to shame!!!!!! Looking fantastic!! :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I was wondering what that hole was in the upper shroud, but this has a road draft tube, no?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Yes, that piece of sheet metal would be correct for that model year...

1960-1962 Road Draft Tube

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

:tu: You got the asher already!

I only wonder if it got a like a rubber seal or a gommet around it or that it is a plane round hole for the tube. My tube is pretty close to the edge when i fit it, maybe i need to bent it a little bit :dontknow: ?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Wikipedia wrote:Road draft tube

The first refinement in crankcase ventilation was the road draft tube, which is a pipe running from a high location contiguous to the crankcase (such as the side of the engine block, or the valve cover on an overhead valve engine) down to an open end facing down and located in the vehicle's slipstream. When the vehicle is moving, airflow across the open end of the tube creates a draft that pulls gases out of the crankcase. The high location of the engine end of the pipe minimizes liquid oil loss. An air inlet path to the crankcase, called the breather and often incorporated into the oil filler cap, meant that when a draft was generated at the tube, fresh air swept through the crankcase to clear out the blow-by gases.

The road draft tube, though simple, has shortcomings: it does not function when the vehicle is moving too slowly to create a draft, so postal and other slow-moving delivery vehicles tended to suffer rapid buildup of engine sludge due to poor crankcase ventilation. And non-road vehicles such as boats never generated a draft on the tube, no matter how fast they were going. To remedy this situation manufacturers located the breather air filter in the air stream coming from the engine radiator fan, the manufacturers also modified the breather to incorporate an air scoop to direct the air into the breather filter so that the engine could be ventilated while the car or truck was standing still. The draft tube discharged the crankcase gases, composed largely of unburnt hydrocarbons, directly into the air. This created pollution as well as objectionable odors. Moreover, the draft tube could become clogged with snow or ice, in which case crankcase pressure would build and cause oil leaks and gasket failure.
:link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase ... ion_system

There is nothing fancy or particularly desirable about the road draft tube. Unless you are concerned about being historically accurate with your car, I would recommend obtaining a 1964 or later PCV system, including the appropriate vacuum balance tube, a fixed orifice design PCV system, and perhaps the newer, redesigned center vent baffle from later models. Upgrading seals your crankcase and prevents dirt from entering, and provides for a positive extraction of fumes and crankcase contaminants to reduce the formation of crankcase sludge. The components you need are not bulky or heavy, and could be obtained from a source like the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Hi BBodie,

Thank you for the information, i checked the system, but i dont think i can do that, i got a different "fan hood/cover" with no holes in it for the vent tube. see picture
628.JPG
I was talking about the hole in the shroud where the vent tube goes trough, does that need a gommet because my vent tube is pretty close to the side of the hole (not in the center) or do i need to bent it that it is in the center
If it does have a gommet, please help me with the Clarks part number, thank you for all the help
629.jpg
:ty:
Last edited by TikiRalf on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Got the answer: Clarks C10046 Thank you!
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

So we are back, had a great time at the Corvair Recall and we have seen Clarks Corvair Parts.
As a souvenir i took some parts home and you can see the result.

Installed the thermostat houses
630.jpeg
Torqconverter back in place
631.jpeg
And we have a total driveline again! after al those month's of work it is back together for the last parts that can go on the drivetrain.
632.jpeg
Put the cooling fan and cover on just for the looks, but i'm not sure of the blue color. It looks nice with the black, but not in the total of the Lakewood with the seafoam green. So i think i will change the fan, but i have no idea yet what kind of color i make it, maybe just black.
634.jpeg
Also clean up the thread from the bolts after powdercoating, all clean and works again
633.jpeg
635.jpeg
We continue with the next step the small parts of the engine (starter, cooling) so we keep on going
Last edited by TikiRalf on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

:tu:
toytron

Post by toytron »

Tiki, I dig that pic of the engine sitting up on the bellhousing. It is so clean and straight that it almost looks like it is armor plated!

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”