I've finally got my 65 Corsa project to have fun with.

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
BajaBill

I've finally got my 65 Corsa project to have fun with.

Post by BajaBill »

After a month of trying to close the deal I finally picked up my 1965 Corsa 140 project from the original owners Grandaughter. It was purchased new in August 1965 at John Geer Chevrolet here in Redding, CA. The car only had 2 options as far as I can tell, the tinted windshield and 4 speed trans. The Granddaughter said the Grandparents drove it until 1972 and then parked it with 73K miles due to oil consumption and leaks. We picked it up and brought it home on Fri. 3/14/2011 and placed it in it's new garage/home.
My Grandson William who is my partner on the project worked on removing bumpers and trim last week while I was working out of town and he did a great job.
Today 3/23/2011 William, his dad Scott and I worked all afternoon and Got it running!!. We overcame a lot of hurdles including smoke and some minor fire but the lifters finally pumped up and the carbs responded to my old tricks and we took it for a short drive. We only had some (soft pedal) brakes, no windshield wipers in the rain and only 1 seat but she came around nicely and by the the time we got back she would even idle. We all took turns going to the mail box and back (.4 mi) with William really loving his first Corvair driving experience. He is excited!! So am I!!
The Grandson William and I are looking fwd. to doing a first class job of bringing this Corvair back to excellent condition. We are debating on whether to bring it back to like new original or perhaps a Yenko clone?
The car is solid except for minor jungle rot at the lower front and rear glass and the body only has a few dents that can be repaired by us but it does need a complete restoration top to bottom, inside and out.
The engine is original per the previous owner and ran well but it does have lots of blow by and oil leaks. Perhaps just a top OH but most likely a complete OH.
When we drove it today the +'s were that the trans and diff worked well with no grinding or bearing noise to be found and the -'s are the brakes, front suspension and those darn flat sided bias ply tires that did not want get round.
I will be posting pics and requests for input from the Forum members on a regular basis and I would like to thank you all in advance for your help and advise.
Thank you,
Bill,
Attachments
She is home!
She is home!
and looking good!
and looking good!
P3140012.JPG
Engine is all there but tired.
Engine is all there but tired.
No rust in the floors!
No rust in the floors!
No holes in the trunk just surface rust.
No holes in the trunk just surface rust.
William back from his first Corvair drive!!
William back from his first Corvair drive!!
BajaBill Bestor,
1965 Corsa 140,
Should have never sold, 60 4 dr, 62 Monza (rolled), 64 Spyder, 65 Corsa 140, 67 PG Vert and a 63? Greenbriar a hippie gave me in 69.
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: I've finally got my 65 Corsa project to have fun with.

Post by Motornoggin »

Cool! Looks like a great basis for a nice project! Have fun!
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Great car, and the start of some good memories! Either way you go with the build will be great!
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

BajaBill wrote:After a month of trying to close the deal I finally picked up my 1965 Corsa 140 project from the original owners Grandaughter. It was purchased new in August 1965 at John Geer Chevrolet here in Redding, CA. The car only had 2 options as far as I can tell, the tinted windshield and 4 speed trans. The Granddaughter said the Grandparents drove it until 1972 and then parked it with 73K miles due to oil consumption and leaks. We picked it up and brought it home on Fri. 3/14/2011 and placed it in it's new garage/home.
My Grandson William who is my partner on the project worked on removing bumpers and trim last week while I was working out of town and he did a great job.
Today 3/23/2011 William, his dad Scott and I worked all afternoon and Got it running!!. We overcame a lot of hurdles including smoke and some minor fire but the lifters finally pumped up and the carbs responded to my old tricks and we took it for a short drive. We only had some (soft pedal) brakes, no windshield wipers in the rain and only 1 seat but she came around nicely and by the the time we got back she would even idle. We all took turns going to the mail box and back (.4 mi) with William really loving his first Corvair driving experience. He is excited!! So am I!!
The Grandson William and I are looking fwd. to doing a first class job of bringing this Corvair back to excellent condition. We are debating on whether to bring it back to like new original or perhaps a Yenko clone?
The car is solid except for minor jungle rot at the lower front and rear glass and the body only has a few dents that can be repaired by us but it does need a complete restoration top to bottom, inside and out.
The engine is original per the previous owner and ran well but it does have lots of blow by and oil leaks. Perhaps just a top OH but most likely a complete OH.
When we drove it today the +'s were that the trans and diff worked well with no grinding or bearing noise to be found and the -'s are the brakes, front suspension and those darn flat sided bias ply tires that did not want get round.
I will be posting pics and requests for input from the Forum members on a regular basis and I would like to thank you all in advance for your help and advise.
Thank you,
Bill,
I'm pretty impressed, Bill......that car looks like an excellent starting point and doesn't appear to have been messed with at all......and those floors are beautiful, as is the rest of the body!.......good for you!!! LMAO @ the "minor fire"......that's how memories are made! :burnout:
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

Welcome..fellow Corvair restorer. These guys are a lot of help.

As far as William getting back from his first drive....I am sure the window was down so he could see.LOL. Here in Oregon I am getting pretty sick of the rain myself. I need to do some painting on my Vair but even with the heater blasting (electric) I can only get it up to 66.

Good luck with the restore.
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

Looks like you found a good one. Looking forward to seeing it progress. :chevy:
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Congrats on finally getting your project. :)
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Wow! Fun project you have there. Great family building great memories too!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
BajaBill

Post by BajaBill »

Some progress has been made on the project and we have decided to try and make the car an exceptional driver vs going for like new showroom show. The windows are out and the rust although there, is not as bad as it could have been. Only around the windows, no other metal on the car will need replacing. Please look at the pictures and let me know what you think is the proper course for repair. Will just cutting out and replacing the small areas with holes be enough? All advise will be appreciated. We have been cleaning and inspecting parts when removed and making lists of what to search for and buy . Found a nice pair of front turn signal assemblies at the pic n pull $ 8 ea. and 1 headlight door for $ 10.
Attachments
Most of the trim is removed.
Most of the trim is removed.
P3280073.JPG
P3280074.JPG
P3280072.JPG
P3280076.JPG
BajaBill Bestor,
1965 Corsa 140,
Should have never sold, 60 4 dr, 62 Monza (rolled), 64 Spyder, 65 Corsa 140, 67 PG Vert and a 63? Greenbriar a hippie gave me in 69.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”