Aluminum Tensioner Pulley not compatible with factory A/C on a '66

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
SethThomas

Aluminum Tensioner Pulley not compatible with factory A/C on a '66

Post by SethThomas »

Hi everyone, It doesn't look like that the spring loaded pulley that is now sold by Ken Hand is not quite compatible with the factory A/C car as is (mine is a 1966). I figured this should be documented. I imagine this has not come up, as the factory A/C is kind of rare, and and people using the pulley is also uncommon.

If anyone knows Ken's handle on this site, can you add him? He probably should know.

I put the pulley on earlier this Spring. I noticed a week ago that there was a ton of metal shavings by the oil cap. I took a minute to notice the pulley had the scrape on it's left hand side. Turns out bounced enough to hit the U shaped bracket that acts at the base for the tensioner arm (very long bolt) on the A/C compressor.

I imagine one can modify the long tensioner bold and the place where it mounts to fix this issue. For me it finally put the A/C higher on "need to address" and I pulled everything out. The radiator was in a sorry state.

P.S. Does anyone cover the now open radiator vent with anything? Most I see leave it open, but I was thinking a mesh would help keep debris and mice out better.
Attachments
20240508_134611.jpg
20240508_134636.jpg
20240508_134622.jpg
20240508_180739.jpg
Owned: 1966 Corvair Monza 110 with A/C
American Mel

Re: Aluminum Tensioner Pulley not compatible with factory A/C on a '66

Post by American Mel »

Radiator vent ? ? ?
You mean the cold air inlet?
That has a debris screen, it is the air-grill at the base of the rear window.
Otherwise, I have zero idea what you are talking about.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
SethThomas

Post by SethThomas »

American Mel wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:57 pm Radiator vent ? ? ?
You mean the cold air inlet?
That has a debris screen, it is the air-grill at the base of the rear window.
Otherwise, I have zero idea what you are talking about.
Yes, that was what I meant. I called it that because that's where the radiator was sitting. It had a ton of debris behind it when I pulled it out. I figured the vent grille at the rear window base wasn't doing a great job.

However, thinking on it, it probably was decades of stuff, and the car is Garaged now. Maybe just leaving it is fine. Light sanding and paint is all I need.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I put the AC in working order on my cars. :tu:

Yes, I try to glue a nylon screen over the vent behind the rear window, but it is not easy, as you cannot remove that vent without removing the rear window! (Backlite to those who know glass :wink:) If the condenser (not a radiator) clogs then not only does the high side of the refrigerant go too high in pressure, but the engine is robbed of cooling air too!

:dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
scooperman

Post by scooperman »

when I had the backlight out I found a pile of leaves and dead lizards and whoknowswhat in the vent space, decided I wanted that vent panel to be removable without pulling the glass again.
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

I have the same screen name here. I have a spring upgrade that just may keep the idler more steady. I have posted several places about the extra spring but apparently you didn't see any of those posts.

I offer a dampener spring that goes on the inside of the original spring, it seems to help the oscillation quite a bit.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
SethThomas

Post by SethThomas »

vairmech wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:00 pm I have the same screen name here. I have a spring upgrade that just may keep the idler more steady. I have posted several places about the extra spring but apparently you didn't see any of those posts.

I offer a dampener spring that goes on the inside of the original spring, it seems to help the oscillation quite a bit.
Sorry, I couldn't even remember your company name or email, for some reason I only remembered your name lol.

A nesting spring may just do the trick. I don't look forward to removing this thing; it was a real bear to get on. Probably should be easier without the A/C bracket and bolt.
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

Be sure and send me an email with your address, all I am asking is $5 to help with shipping. The $5 is for those that have purchased from me.

If you want one for one of Lon's old idlers then it is $15 plus shipping. Also I offer a bushing upgrade to Lon's tensioners also.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”