1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Drove it again on Saturday, was SO much fun!!
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Gregory_Miller wrote:Drove it again on Saturday, was SO much fun!!
Glad to see it's finally running like it's supposed to!

Marty Scarr
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

3 out of 4 days this week, driving it to work so far...
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I got a spare Corvair alternator end bell (the attaching end) from Marty Scarr, and a 10SI internally regulated end bell from a local Alt re-builder, and sent them to powder coating. Looking good. Now they have 42A internally regulated guts in them and I'll pick it up from the re-builder tomorrow, and get it on my car in the next couple of weeks. Need to fabricate a new rear support bracket for it before running it. Also had a minor oil leak around my fake fuel pump due to the "oops" of not quite having the bolt and the hole lined up correctly. Damaged the area right next to the O-ring. I cleaned up everything up with brake fluid, and a small bead of black RTV around the O-ring and made sure I seated the cone bolt into the cone hole properly and I also used some thread seal teflon tape on the cone bolt. Hopefully no more leaks around the base of my fake fuel pump any more. Oh, I also got the cap from my old fuel pump powder coated silver too. I'm planning on removing the old bowl vent body that sticks out into the throat of the primary and secondary carbs, and fabricating new choke plates that don't have the cut-out for the unused air flow obstruction. Also going to remove the notches that the J-bolts connect to since I don't use them and then my hoses from my air filters will fit better, and then they will also get powder coated gold kind of like the old gold anodizing they had when new. I think that will look good.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

That is a very clean-machine! I want it!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I have the new alternator in my hot little hands, but need to fabricate a new rear support bracket still.. someone gave me the idea of taking an old regulator and removing the guts and jumpering the leads internally to make the internal regulated alternator work, and it still looks stock... I like that idea. I had a bit of an oil leak at the cam gear end of my oil pan, got under there last night and noted all the bolts weren't fully tightened. Hopefully that seals the deal. I also removed the gas pedal and re-splined it as it was hitting the floor before my secondaries were opening up at all. Now they open a bit, still have more adjusting to do. Dash clock was stopping, and I found if I grabbed the wiring harness where it exits the fuse block "click" and off it goes for a while. I re-routed the harness under the clip that is supposed to support it and so far it's still running. I need to remove the fuse block from the wall and look for corrosion, but it's a quick if not permanent fix so far.
I have a car show at my old high school tomorrow, will get up early and give her a bath as she's been sitting outside for the last few weeks while I work on re-sealing the roof of our trailer so she gets dirty from the condensation overnight. I thoroughly vacuumed it out last night.
Looks like no more leaks around the fake fuel pump.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Wow, all the way to page 3, that lets me know I need to get busy.

I ordered Clark's molded carpet, it arrives tomorrow. :clap: :tu:

Currently converting from ugly this:

To this.

I'm clocking it at 9 o'clock for the new plug so I needed to make a new bracket. It's done and the paint is now drying. I mocked it up on the engine before I swapped the pulley over and it's so purty:

The alt is back on the car and belt adjusted. I need to re-tape a bit of the wiring harness so the blue and white wires reach their new location, and I'll temp jumper the regulator end wires together to ensure it works as it should. Then I will gut a "Pretty but non-functional" LM regulator and all it will do is jumper the wires together internally and still maintain a fairly stock appearance.

My idea has always been to make changes but keep it looking "mostly" stock.. but I do mix things like non-65 tail light and backup lenses, and the 66-69 140 emblem onto the car. I just like the look of the stuff that wasn't 65-only more for some reason. I want 66-69 wheel well trim too.
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

It's looking good, just would to see the whole car.
Just one question ,your not putting a 140 emblem on a 110?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Corsa bill wrote:It's looking good, just would to see the whole car.
Just one question ,your not putting a 140 emblem on a 110?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. It's a 140 with a 140 emblem.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Ok, got the regulator finished. Looks pretty.

Next job to tackle was replacing the old tired carpet with Clark's molded style.

Before:

I also made the most of the 3 sheets of DynaMat I could afford, doing the area below the rear window and as far down behind the rear seat as it would reach.

Back seat back in. and rear carpet section done.

and the front.

And since I had the kick panel vents out anyway, most of this came out of the passenger side. Very little in driver' side.

The floor is nice and solid, just vacuumed the crud up.

I needed somewhere to lay the carpet out after shipping.

And now the engine is sitting on the floor, have a bad flywheel-side oil leak and a smaller pulley end oil leak, maybe my oil cooler has sprung a small leaker there, will get them stoppered up this week.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Let us know how much the dynamat helped :pray:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

OK, found the source of the flywheel end oil leak. My dad was visiting from eastern Oregon last night, I had him help me split the engine and transaxle and after removing the flywheel bolts, it was obvious that one or more of the flywheel bolts was leaking. Turned out to be "more". 3 were nice and dry and 3 were... not. Cleaned the bolt holes thoroughly and coated both the bolt holes and bolts with a thin coat of Permatex thread sealer and put them back in. Hope they all seal this time. Engine and transaxle are mated back together and now I'll find the source of the pulley end leak before reinstalling the power pack. Suspect oil cooler based on the location of the oil on the engine tins.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

cad-kid wrote:Let us know how much the dynamat helped :pray:
Will do. It did have a chunk of fiberglass back there before, I am still itchy on my arms from that stuff! Ordered 2 new exhaust manifold to pipe donuts, they will be here today. Need to test my oil cooler for leaks, might need a "new" 12-plate. Missus had a wrist injury so got nothing done last night, wanted to pull the crank pulley off and start looking for the leak back there. Might get some time tonight, but son is part of a Grange theatre play, rehearsals are Wednesday nights, but should have a bit of time to pop the pulley off before I take him to rehearsal.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Got the crank pulley removed, obvious that the pulley seal is the source of the leak. Glad both were so easy to spot. area around and below oil cooler is clean, that was not the issue. Luckily found a seal at a local mom and pop auto parts store. Will remember to fill the seal cup with appropriate grease this time instead of just wiping it with engine oil. Exhaust manifold to pipe donuts here, got a new oil filter and going for some 10W-30 diesel CJ-4 this afternoon. Hope to have the power pack back in tomorrow morning and then start re-connecting everything and draining the oil, which I should have done before I dropped the power train.
I would like to get one more sheet of DynaMat to fill in some spots on both sides behind the rear seat and below the rear seat as well. I think that will make a huge difference.

Next plans include removing the air horns from the throats of the carbs, all they do now is block air flow, and cut off portions of the notches that the OEM style air cleaners attach to, so that I can replace the rubber hose that connects to my non-stock air cleaners, that way they don't need notches anymore and will have less chance of binding up the choke linkage. Then they will get cleaned and powder coated gold kinda like they came from the factory.
Last edited by Gregory_Miller on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I managed to reinstall the power train by myself, just like the good old days of 30+ years ago. :) I am achy today though. I buttoned everything up about 12:15 this morning with an oil change and a few minutes on the battery charger, turned the key to accessory to activate the fuel pump, and checked for fuel leaks. None. Yay. The RTV I used on the pulley seal should be cured and the thread sealer on the flywheel bolts should be as well. Re-painted the tip of the exhaust pipe silver, but it doesn't last too long due to the heat. Someday I'll knock the welds off and get the tip powder coated silver, don't want no chrome tip.
It's supposed to stop raining this morning so hoping to take it out a bit later for the shakedown. I'm planning on attending a car show next Saturday morning.

Car pron time! :tu:

cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Good update!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”