1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Still have a miss but when opening up on a little trip around the block (was still not fully warmed up so only opened her up a bit) clears. I have a carb base that works but needs a little love to clean it up to my satisfaction. Mother's aluminum polish helps a lot. I just did a small part this morning to see the results, will polish the rest this evening after work. Then Venturi cluster, main metering jet and the pretty carb top migrate over to this base, then the process of balancing begins again. I still have to drop the drive train to chase a transaxle lube leak and having it running right first will motivate me to get the job done quickly but thoroughly. I will ensure I have no weeping around the press fit of the flywheel attachment to crankshaft area as well as the flywheel bolts which were leaking (3 of 6 clearly) that I fixated on and completely forgot to check the input shaft seal. Boo me.
However, it is much nicer both aesthetically and light wise in my garage for working on my Vair.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Got the carb base cleaned up and that's as far as I got last night, had to stop and make room for my mom in law's freezer in my garage. :/ Not likely to get a chance to mess with it at all tonight. :(
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I got the replacement carburetor base installed but that was it. Almost 10 year old battery needs replacement. Ordered Roger Parent's 65 140 linkage kit and the 66-69 trans pivot with the beefier bolt. It's going to get some love this weekend, not on call and no plans other than Easter service Sunday morning.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Got a new battery, drove it a bit. Still needs some carb fine tuning. Put it up on 4 jackstands to drop the power pack and fix the tranny leak.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Power pack removed, I had feared that the split washer input shaft stabilizer had been left out, but it is in place. Will replace seal anyway while I have it out. Lube found puddling in bottom of bell housing much darker than the gear lube in my diff snout. Appears to be more leaks from either the keyway of the crank and / or the main seal. I had thoroughly cleaned and thread sealer'd the crank to flywheel bolts last time I had it out. I'll need to remove the flywheel again. I'm hoping to not have to R&R the bell housing, but I do already have an oil pan and block to bell housing gasket, and main seal. Ordered a new pulley seal along with a few miscellaneous carburetor gaskets and 2 sets of 140 exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe graphite gaskets. Should be here late this week. Will pull flywheel tonight before son's Boy Scout meeting and find those pesky oil leaks!!!111!!
Roger Parent's 65 140 linkage kit and 66-69 beefier trans pivot kit will arrive on Wednesday.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I got the flywheel off, and the bell housing removed, and made a nice mess with motor oil. I forgot that the oil level was higher than the top of the oil pan. :/ I drained some out, and got the old gasket removed from the bell housing and the block. I found some issues with the sealing surface of the crank gear that even some gentle persuasion with 400 wet or dry could not remove. Added a Speedi-sleeve to my Clark's order.
I also removed an iffy vacuum tube from the driver's side pad and replaced it. I added a compression fitting so both sides of the balance tube have compression fittings now.
Cleaned the bell housing and letting it dry before installing the new main seal. No hurry as the speedi sleeve won't arrive till close to the end of the week.
Oh yes, replaced input shaft seal as well and made sure the split washer went back in too. :)
New clutch disk with less than 1000 miles on it was uncontaminated, thankfully.
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Keep up the good work!!! I wish i found your source for energy, for my project. :tu:

It wont be long, and you will have her all buttoned up and cruising down the hwy again.

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Called Clark's again this morning, added 2 oil filters and the Corsa clock full rebuilt including a core charge I'll get back when I send my old one in. Despite all my efforts, the mechanical clock even with the diode mod has stopped again, and didn't keep good time even when it ran.
Took my "big single" exhaust system over to the powder coaters for a high temp silver coating on the exhaust tip and the end of the muffler that shows.

Viewmaster, if I really had that much energy, it would have been done months ago. I made my garage habitable in the winter (meaning heatable) and now it will be better to work and play in, that did take up some of my time. I also volunteer as a Star Wars costumer entertaining kids and bringing smiles to faces of sick kids during hospital visits and such. Very rewarding "work"
BUT, I want to drive my Vair leak-free this summer.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The rebuilt mechanucal clock mechanism will likely continue to keep poor time and will fail again. It was a poor design from the beginning. There is an electronic quartz clock replacement available that looks the same on the outside but eliminates the electro-mechanical clock mechanism on the inside.

The electro-mechanical clocks used by Chevrolet in the 1960s had a poor reputation even then. The technology to place a reliable, accurate clock in a car just was not available then. You were lucky if the clock still worked when you brought your new Corvair home from the dealer for the first time! Even Corvettes from that era came with faulty, unreliable clocks.

:link: https://www.clocksandgauges.com/quartz- ... n-kit.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

This is a Clark's rebuilt with the quartz movement, all put together for me. I send them the core and they replace the mechanical bits with a new quartz movement for the next lazy guy. :) Basically, it costs me $30 for them to do the work and test it. I'm OK with that.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

...and my goodies have shipped.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

...and the speedi-sleeve was for a harmonic balancer. I do have the right part number now, but will probably be Monday or Tuesday before I get it. Installed new quartz rebuilt clock. Test ran it. Taping off one of the only engine tins not powder coated for a re-spray in gloss black. Replacing HB seal too.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Dang it, lost a post I was working on. Did a bunch of stuff other than the crank flywheel end speedi-sleeve. Re-checked all my carbs, found some issues, corrected most. Still in need of a 51 jet for a primary. Left that carb partially disassembled and installed a core to set up Roger's excellent Heim joint accelerator linkage system. Instructions great, and while I still need to balance the carbs with the engine running, visually everything opens when it should and everything reaches WOT at the same time. SO nice. Old stock linkages secondaries opened up at different times OR they both didn't reach WOT if they opened together. R&R harmonic balancer, replaced seal, added high temp silicone sealer to that keyway as it might have been leaking a bit too. Painted one of the 2 engine tins I have not yet powdercoated (the air exit tins) but the gloss black is too glossy need a semi-gloss. Here is the engine with Roger's kit mostly set up with the core carb on the right hand side.
Should be able to order speedi sleeve tomorrow and get Tuesday. Still have to pull oil pan before reinstalling bell housing after speedi-sleeve finished. Need a 51 jet to finish primary carb, then I can mate transaxle and engine back together and get er hung. Hopefully back on all 4s this coming weekend.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

#51 jet picking up today, along with correct speedi-sleeve. Checked the one open carb sitting on my bench and tweaked the float level a bit as I hadn't done that one yet. Then while checking ball "needle and seat" operation by turning carb sideways then straight up while blowing air into the fuel inlet. It works, but this one was a bit sticky, and after taking it apart a couple of times figured out it was something about the helper spring binding. I found another that Chet from Ramona had sent as part of a secondary carb and it does not bind.
Today is the wife and I's 25th anniversary, probably not going to get anything done on the car tonight.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Got sick the weekend of the 5th of May, knocked me down for most of a week. I finally felt good enough to do a bit here and a bit there and got the speedi-sleeve trimmed nicely. Greased the lip of the new main seal and carefully tried to install the bell housing without damaging the seal. The spring popped out of the seal, and I got it back in, then installed. Cleaned the oil pan and got it reinstalled, thread sealer on block to bellhousing and flywheel bolts, thread locker on oil pan bolts except the 3 that enter the bell housing, I gave them thread sealer. Re-mater the engine and transaxle yesterday afternoon, and got it reinstalled in the car. Most everything reconnected, driver's side lower control arm gave me grief before succumbing to my insistence that it get reinstalled. Had a bad wheel well gas hose clamp, replaced. All that's left underneath is the back tunnel pan and reinstalling the big single exhaust I had powder coated with high temp silver so it will keep looking nice unlike the cheap silver paint I kept using that burned off. I modded my custom hanger a bit more to help keep the exhaust tip more centered in the "turbo cut-out" as it tended to pull towards the inside edge and sometimes rattle if I tried to tighten the strap properly, it should work nicer IE look better now. Still need to re-balance the carbs with Roger's carb link system. Feels nice from the driver's seat. I'll fill the carbs with the electric fuel pump and check for leaks before starting in a couple more days, tonight is Boy Scout night with my son. Pictures with everything in place soon.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

It's back on the ground, but it's sitting on a couple of 2x6s stacked up so I can load the suspension and attach the exhaust system without the driveshaft on the passenger's side getting in the way a bit. I'm still working on the exhaust mount to more fully secure the exhaust tip centering in the "turbo cut-out".

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”