1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I participated in the Bethel Boosters Show and Shine today, LOTS of sweet cars. All pics are at:

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll15 ... d%20Shine/

Here's mine... my mom has offered me the chance to get my car painted, she'll loan me the money and I could have her done in about 2 weeks... have to think hard about that one.
Anyway, here she is on a cloudy, yet the rain held off all day, I got sprinkled on just as I turned the corner onto my street... Only Corvair in the show. Got no love from the judges. :assault: Lots of love from the public. My mom came by and checked it out, the had a wreck that you could wager on how long it would run without oil and water.. (2:21) Then the monster truck drove over it a few times. My son and his buddies loved that a lot. :clap:
I also dig the Datsun 510s... another 4 wheel independent suspension vehicle. Proper tuning and side-draft Webers made for a fun ride.

This one won the "rap off" uncorked headers. 555 cubes under this hood.

Go check out the rest of these pics from the show, it was a good time. A green 57 Corvette custom took home 7 trophies, including best in show and participant's choice awards, best paint.. I lost track.
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

Cool posting Gregory. Your car looks pretty nice nestled in there.
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

It was the only Corvair there. Just like the last show April 2nd. It's all good though. I got a lot of love from the crowd.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Still trying to get her to run perfect. Idles as well as can be expected with a "280" cam, but I can feel a miss now when I rev her up. I can also see drops of fuel dripping from the driver's side venturi cluster as I rev it up. I've done so many little different things I'm not sure anymore what can be the f*&^&%&^ culprit. I had trouble making the correct air gap on my Pertronix Ignitor 1, it's supposed to be .030, and it's a bit tighter than that. I got a fresh set of points, and 2 rebuilt Clark's premium rebuilt carbs are on their way. I'll drop on the new primaries, sync them up and set the idle mixture, and see if that cures my ills. If not, I'll drop the points plate back in, gap and re-time and see if that's my problem. I also got a fresh set of exhaust manifold "donuts" (that took 2+ weeks when it should have taken 3 days, but it's a story for another day) because I can smell exhaust inside the car even with the heat levers fully shut. I'll drop the shrouds, give them a cleaning, and replace those donuts. I'm "suspicionating" (a Tigger word, I love Tigger) that it has Clark's graphite donuts in there, I've heard talk that they don't last as long as they should, but I've also heard that if all is prepped properly, they do last. I'll see what kind of shape they are in this weekend. I really want to get this solved this weekend, as I have a car show I want to be in the 18th of June. I kinda feel like I've lost my "Corvair guru" card after 20 years of not working on them... I'm also spoiled by fuel injection and electronic ignition. TBI/EDIS are in my future.
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

I don't think the gap matters too much on the Pertronix I as long as it's not too far and not touching. How hot is your coil?
1966 Corsa Coupe
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Haven't checked the coil temperature. It will be on my to-do list this weekend.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

In regards to your intermittant "miss", sometimes I've seen the spark jump outta the plug wires on some of my old cars, when the wires are laying against the valve covers or shroud, whatever. Most of the time it seems the missing occurs when under a good load, going up through the gears. It's always nice to keep the plug wires fresh. I've heard they go bad way faster than people think. Like, how many old cars have ya'll seen with plug wires that are 10+ years old? A lot, right?
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I just put Seth Emerson's silicone wires on, miss remains. :/
Before....
After.
Also getting the oil cooler side shrouds and a distributor vacuum advance dust boot, hopefully awaiting my arrival home this evening. More pictures to follow.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Hmmm....well, time will tell when you get the goodies installed from Clark's. Do you think it's the same cylinder missing all the time, or just a general crappiness and cutting out of different cylinders? Have you lined up all the spark plugs and compared them and done a plug reading?

I have an old Toyota that has side draft Mikunis and the booster venturis come loose from time to time....and the instead of the fuel atomizing, it just sorta dribbles down the main venturis and the car acts lean but uses more fuel. I find this stuff fun, to a point....lol.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

flat6_musik wrote:I find this stuff fun, to a point....lol.
I'm already past this point, unfortunately. Looking to get her professionally tuned up, as I'm chasing my tail now. New carbs, whistle remains and it runs worse. Couldn't spend too much time balancing/idle mixture setting, one of my fuel lines is leaking now. *sigh* The oil coller side shrouds went on without too much fuss, though.
Last edited by Gregory_Miller on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Looking GOOD !!! :cool:

NICE RIDE, keep it on the road !!!! ENJOY :tu:
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Last night, I put my points plate and a new set of points in. I blocked off the secondaries, drained their fuel, and removed and plugged fuel supply to them at the tee. I static timed it at 14 degrees and have a temp fuel line to use if my leak remains. I have new pre-bent lines coming from Clark's and should be here by week's end. It was too late to fire her up last night when I finished the "roll-back" so we'll see what happens after work tonight.
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

Good luck my friend!
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I wasn't able to get my abused fuel lines to seal, but I got it down to a slow drip....so I ran it and balanced the carbs as best as I could, got my idle down to about 500-550 to keep the mechanical advance from messing up my timing check. Rock-steady at about 13 1/2 degrees after static timing it the other night. Miss appears to be gone, and so does whistle.. but it stumbles when I open the throttle while idling in the garage. I had to time it beyond the 16 degree mark with the Ignitor. Looks like I'll have to do the same thing with the points. I hope I get my new fuel lines in tonight in the mail.. I'll be more gentle tightening them up. I got myself a cheap timing light and a compression tester... looking toi get a vacuum and fuel pressure gauge to assess those things. I'll see what the vacuum looks like at each choke pull-off port and see if there's something radically different between each side.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I got my new fuel lines last night. Yay. They wouldn't seal to my old tees... FLAPS had some, got them sealed, but one new carb wouldn't stop leaking at the fuel inlet nut even with new line. I dropped what I thought was the best of my old 2 carbs on. Yay, dry!!! I'll try the "new" carb with a inlet nut off an "old" carb again now that I have the new fuel lines too. Set timing to 18 degrees, took her for a spin. NICE!!! Better than at any time since I got her. Still running on primaries only. Going to show and shine tomorrow.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Sweet!......progress is good for the motivation.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”