1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I finally have something to put in here. I've been looking for a nice Corvair for some time, but the financial situation has been such that timing has to be perfect. I saw this sweet Corsa on Bryan Blackwell's autocrossing site while researching non-stock wheels and tires. I didn't know about backspace when I had my 68 in the late 70s-early 80s and I did have issues with tearing up the sidewalls of my tires a bit. Anyway, I scrolled down through the (ho-hum) EMs :neener: and got down to the LMs, and here's this pic and the fellow who owns it lives right here in my hometown!!http://autoxer.skiblack.com/wheelpics.html Scroll down to the Bob Ralston Corsa. I thought to myself "Wow, this is right here in my town and I've never seen it!!" So, I started looking for a phone number for this guy. "Hi, I'm Greg Miller, I'm AKA the Corvair Stalker." I got to talk to him briefly during the summer of '09 and he told me it doesn't look quite the same now, it's been in storage. I said I'd still love to see it sometime. FF to President's day 2010, and I decide to give the fellow a call. I had been looking at Craigslist, CORSA.org and Clark's Corvairs for sale pages, even Hemmings and autos.aol ... So, I finally decided to ask him if he'd consider selling it. He told me that after we'd talked the last time, his wife was asking him if he wanted to sell as it hadn't gotten any attention for some time. Awesome! Now, can I possibly afford it? I made arrangements to go meet him at his business one evening shortly thereafter. My kids dug the place as he had a ping pong table and dart board. I got to go look at this dusty blue Corsa. Once he opened the engine lid, I was already hooked. The description on the website doesn't show the half of it. It has minor, and I mean minor rust issues that need to be addressed, and I'm hoping a polishing of the paint can liven it up till next year, but the rest of the car is fab. It's been sitting for the better part stored indoors for the last 10 years. He had dreams of front disk brakes, etc, but the reality of building his business meant his "baby" sat languishing for now all this time. Anyway, I tried not to drool on it too much, while $$ blew through my mind. I told him it's worth more, but the most I can do is 5K, and I don't want to insult you by offering only that. It's my upper limit, I have a big mortgage and 2 school-age kids, I think most of you know what I'm talking about. Then I had to leave as I was on-call and got called out..naturally. Didn't get to look at it as close as I would have liked. It has this trick tuned exhaust like I've never seen before into a big single. Can't wait to hear it.
A few weeks went by and I was beginning to give up hope when out of the blue he called and said he'd sell for 5K. I started trying to arrange to get my hands on that much, but circumstances forced me to pass right about this time last year. He called me and asked me where I was when he started it, and was then reluctant to sell, and I had to explain that I had to wait too.
Now, it's one year later. The stars have aligned and I was able to gather the required funds, plus enough (I hope) to cover title change, insurance, and the needed brake work and any other minor issues to get it road-worthy again. But, would he still be willing after all the drama (which is in the past and not going to be dragged up here) of last year's fiasco? I still had his cell number so nervously I called. He answered, I think not recognizing the number and I mentioned my name. I was afraid he might not be willing to talk to me much, but I quickly pressed ahead and told him I'd have the money in 2 weeks, and was he still willing to sell? YES!! However, he travels a lot for business, so wasn't sure when he'd be back in town.
I've been working nights this week and part of next, so this morning just after eight I showed up at his business to see if he was in town, and he was. I said I'd have everything for him today if I could hear it run. Got a much closer look at it and sat in it... *swoon* I'm giddy as a schoolgirl. Plans were made for me to return at 2 PM, and we'd start her up and do the deal. I'm looking for a towing Co. to get 'er back to my place on and then he calls and reschedules to Friday at 1 PM, he has 2 hours till his next meeting. So, I work overnight tonight, take a quick nap (maybe) and then go hear her run and get her home! Pictures will follow tomorrow evening or Saturday morning. I have a Corvair Club meeting next Tuesday, I'd like to "get-er-done" this weekend so I can take her there. :)

I wish it was in my garage right now, it would already be up on 4 jackstands with the wheels off and me assessing what I need for the brakes. I"m considering a dual master cylinder conversion while I'm at it, all part of the extra money set aside for getting it out of group Red.

Can you tell I'm excited? I even re-found my Photobucket user name and pass so I can host pics there.

MORE TO COME!! Only if it's throwing a rod or something equally distressing when he starts it (which I doubt as he does start it to move it about occasionally) will it not be mine.

W00t w00t!

Scott, I'm going to want to chat to you about your BMW headlight conversion some time, at least it's already got nice bright halogens on it now.
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Scott H »

Awesome. What a cool story! Post pics when you get it home.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
mart

Post by mart »

that looks real nice
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

I have always liked that car. Nice stance, good color, hot motor, it's got it all. Good find! :checkeredflag:
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Sounds like a great find, Greg. Be sure to look closely at the rust issues when you get her home.
Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Gregory, I am very happy for you. Sometimes I wish I would just save and buy a good car that I could do a few things. That car has a great engine and interior! It also has some of the coolest wheels you can put on a Corvair. Best wishes on your journeys with your new car!
Allen
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Dayum Greg....you got ME excited about it! I wanna see it! It's cool when the stars align like that.

BTW, I'm totally in love with that "West-brier" on the bottom of that page!! Beeeautiful! I could see me building something like that.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Ok, the C C forum got it first, but here's pics of me picking it up yesterday.http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/Dax_Corrin/
It came wioth a lot of goodies, lots of trim screws, stuff from Clark's.
I worked on it all day today, after painting the inside of my shed, that way I can move all the "crap" in the garage back into the shed where it belongs tomorrow. I'm replacing all wheel cylinders, right fron shows evidence of leak, will need to find front brake shoes. Replacing master cylinder too. Dropped tank, remains of 5-6 gallons of gas inside, but dry. Just rusty crusty stuff. I won't have her ready to drive to Tuesday's club meeting, but soon..

Another candidate for Corvair of the Month. I think I'll enter now!
mart

Post by mart »

I think I'm in love !!!!
robertto

Post by robertto »

Great car! :tu:
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Oh yeahhhh......hey man, I love those "daisy" wheels! I had a set of those on a '72 Formula firebird back in the late 70's~early '80's. Those are really awesome wheels that you rarely see nowadays, although they ARE making them again. I also dig that seat material......looks to have a little blue in it. Looks tough! Well bought!
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

I stopped by Greg's house yesterday to drop off a new master cylinder for him, and he has good reason to be "as giddy as a schoolgirl": The car is definitely worth drooling over. Overall, it is in excellent condition and well worth what he paid for it, IMO. Great interior, top notch mechanicals, very straight body and none of the usual rust around the windshield, etc. :tu:

Hey Greg, can you post a picture of that custom exhaust, I didn't have a chance to check it out.

Marty Scarr
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

WOW that is a beautiful car!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Thanks for posting those pics Scott, Each site is a bit different, gotta figure out resizing like you did cause my "Corvair of the month" shots which are from same Photobucket account as these above are chopped. Vote for me!! :fro:
BajaBill

Post by BajaBill »

Sweet Ride!
:cool:
BajaBill Bestor,
1965 Corsa 140,
Should have never sold, 60 4 dr, 62 Monza (rolled), 64 Spyder, 65 Corsa 140, 67 PG Vert and a 63? Greenbriar a hippie gave me in 69.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Gregory_Miller wrote:Thanks for posting those pics Scott, Each site is a bit different, gotta figure out resizing like you did cause my "Corvair of the month" shots which are from same Photobucket account as these above are chopped. Vote for me!! :fro:
This site auto re-sizes pics. :tu:

They will only look chopped until you hit submit. It will fix them.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”