1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Put a little elbow grease into the paint with a Mother's clay 2.0 kit. Didn't read the directions fully so the unit that was supposed to last up to 20 vehicles I destroyed on less than 1. Learned the hard way as the thing is over 20 bucks that I wasted. It did help so I'm going to get another one and use it properly to remove water spots in the old tired paint. Went ahead and put some wax on the parts I hit but didn't get it out where we still have some residual smoke lingering for the fires that are still going on in western Oregon.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I got it out last night after the smoke cleared to go pay a fellow for some pinball machine parts, LED lamp replacement and some rubber rings, and drove the Vair. Running better than it has ever, but still might be room for improvement in jetting.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

The heater cable clamp came loose at the passenger compartment end of the cable for the second time, so no heat. :( I did some surgery to it adjusting the cable so it closes completely when pulled up and then epoxied the clamp back on along with crimping it back on. Let it cure for 3 days before re-attaching. So far so good. Haven't messed with jetting yet, I think I can go 1 maybe 2 leaner mains now that it's properly idling on 2 idle circuits.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I made a cartoon image of your motor :tu:
Attachments
65 miller p22hd.jpg
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: :goodpost: :tu:

That illustrated engine came out real well!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Very sexy. I took it out yesterday and runs great, but I do need to still re-jet a bit. I also may be about to lose my clutch cable, feels like it's stretching as I just adjusted it recently and it feels like it's got excessive free play again. Will need to inspect to certainty, but have inquired into Roger Parent's clutch cable and pulley replacement to complement the carb linkage and trans pivot I already have.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I put my 65 up on 4 jackstands last weekend and pulled the tunnel pan. It's clear the cable is pulling out of the steel rod portion of the clutch actuator. Thankfully didn't part while I was out. Roger's pulley and cable on order. He's popular so it'll likely be this weekend before he can fabricate mine. I re-jetted my primaries leaner to 51s. My secondaries are blocked off and no fuel gets into them, don't open them up enough so it's better this way for now. Especially since I was troubleshooting my part throttle issue which turned out to be the plugged idle siphon tube in one of them. I'll re-balance and readjust idle mixture screws, hope to improve fuel economy and it's been running too rich for some time now especially at idle.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Yesterday, Roger's pulley and clutch cable went in. I may need to adjust the clutch 1 more turn but I'll decide after a couple trips. Also took the opportunity to move the parking light wire in the headlight switch plug so they stay on when headlamps are on. Cleaned corrosion off headlamp switch pins while I had it out. Cleaned and lubricated high/low beam switch. Passenger side rocker drain was plugged, made a mess of my garage floor but clear now. Re-jetted to 51 in the primaries, (I had 53s in there while trying to figure out my "Bucking" issue which was a plugged siphon tube) visually inspected venturi clusters again for obstructions in idle siphon tubes and reinstalled. A step I will no longer skip. Once it was back on the ground, piped the exhaust outside and synchronized carbs and adjusted idle mixture screws. They were both a bit rich and now that it's running on 2 whole idle circuits, I was able to lean them both out a bit. Hopefully car not so stinky now. I also replaced the fan belt recently and re-adjusted the slack a bit now that it's run some. Needs a bath cause our kitties do gymnastics on it after they use the litter box.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I did realize I installed the clutch pedal end of the new cable slightly wrong. Easy to correct, however.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I installed the "clevis?" end that attaches to the pivot assembly of the clutch pedal correctly. But, after installing the heat/defrost diverter assembly, either the "Clevis" or the Heim joint that is attached to the cable is striking the back of the assembly slightly, making some noise. Doesn't seem to impair the function, just annoying. PMd Roger to see if anyone had experienced it themselves and communicated it to him what they did. More to come on this.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Had a closer look at where the clutch end of the new cable was striking the rear of the heat/defrost diverter. Decided I'm going to Dremel a little bit of the bracket holding the heim joint about 1/8 inch deep about 1/2 inch long on both sides and it will no longer hit the diverter. It barely touches now. I made sure the rubber stopper was in place and not worn out, letting the pedal travel further than it should. That was OK.
Onryasever

Post by Onryasever »

I'm in a similar place under my car, put new brass shift linkage bushings in and rubber boots out the back of the tunnel. I'll inspect clutch cable while covers are off. Hope mine isn't in similar shape as yours. How much slack is normal? Seems mine is rubbing on felts quite a bit. May need adjusting at minimum. Next is pushrod tube seals, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets and oil cooler seals. I'm just up the road from you in Philomath. Will have to connect up sometime after covid settles down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Corvair Forum mobile app

Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I had just adjusted mine and felt additional slop. I was separating at the join between the cable and the rod. If there is too much free play, it will sag more.
County98

Post by County98 »

I'm getting ready to do these things also, so thanks for posting!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I didn't replace my filter stones and I also didn't make sure all lower idle circuit passages were clear of the gook that had clogged my idle siphon tubes so the surge seems to be creeping back. FLAPS has the filter stones so I'll get them locally and I'll grab some more carb top and base gaskets from Clark's as I'll use my last extras I have on hand after this. I'm happy with the jetting but need to clean the rest of the carbs properly.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I ordered the gaskets I need from Clark's, along with 2 new black 1/4 door panels for the rear seats. (Stimulus!!) The passenger side panel is ripped as it bowed out a bit and the folding seat hardware caught it and tore it a bit. I'll glue the chrome strips to these as the PO dyed the red panels black and never got around to gluing the rear strips back on. I got some carb cleaner along with the new filter stones locally, now I have the parts to clean any remaining gook out of the passages and spare gaskets for stock are coming.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”