1965 Corsa Coupe

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
2LZ

1965 Corsa Coupe

Post by 2LZ »

After the longest week in my recent life, I finally got her home today!
1965 Corsa 140/4 speed. Not running but as they always say in the ad, "It ran when it was parked 20 years ago." :dontknow:

I can tell you it leaks gas out of the engine compartment when jostled, like shoving onto the car trailer. I'll rebuild the carbs and go through all the rubber hoses.I'm sure the fuel pump is also suspect. I'll probebly go with the electric pump/filter and eliminator plate where the pump currently lives.

Overall it's pretty straight. It is an old repaint. The "P-P" code tells me it used to be Evening Orchid with black interior. Also, it's pretty loaded. AM/FM radio with rear speaker option, and other tidbits.

Really looking forward to this project....and really glad to be a part of this new community with its wealth of knowledge. :ty:
Attachments
Lside.jpg
Dash.jpg
Engine.jpg
Rear.jpg
Corsa Interior Front.jpg
Corsa Interior Rear.jpg
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
2LZ

Re: 1965 Corsa Coupe

Post by 2LZ »

As a bonus, the seller says, "I also have extra hubcaps if you're interested. A set of four. One of them needs a new spinner."
Me: "Ok....let's see 'em How much you want?"
Her: "$30.00"
Me: "Each"?"
Her: "Nope. For all four."
No brainer......
Attachments
spinner.jpg
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Looks seriously original. Even has jack handle in engine compartment. Hub caps were a nice bonus. Dennis
Gm guy

Post by Gm guy »

I also just got a Corsa 4spd but mine is a convertible . Red with a black interior and very solid. Looks like we can help each other, pm me and I’ll send you a spinner so you’ll owe me one lol
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Looks like a good start. :tu:
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

:welcome2:

Looks like a good one to start with!
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!
The build tag says it came with the "W" seat belt option....and it's beltless. Time to shop. I don't want to test that padded dash option with my dental work. :doh: I like the idea of keeping it period correct, though retractable/push button would be most convenient. Time to research belt options. Any suggestions are welcome.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

These might be an option. My '62 originally came without seat belts, but they had been added. Dennis
https://www.premierstreetrod.com/detail ... ctors.html
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Looks like a terrific car! I can't wait to see the progress through your posts. Good Job! :chevy:
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

2LZ wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:54 am Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!
The build tag says it came with the "W" seat belt option....and it's beltless. Time to shop. I don't want to test that padded dash option with my dental work. :doh: I like the idea of keeping it period correct, though retractable/push button would be most convenient. Time to research belt options. Any suggestions are welcome.
Take a look at the OER Brand seat belts, they appear to be correct for the 1965 Deluxe Belts for a Corvair. I purchased a set of these a few years ago and have been happy with them so far.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/134287110401?fi ... ondition=3

Advertised as: OER 4 Piece Deluxe Seat Belt Set For 1965-1966 Nova Chevelle Bel Air Impala
e-bay seller: Jolt Parts
eBay item number:134287110401
US $449.98 plus $10.00 shipping.
Manufacturer Part Number: R191A

When I got mine, I measured the front and rear belts to see if there was any difference in length, they were the same.

Description from seller:
Reproduction of the original seat belts set for 1965-1966 Chevrolet Impala, Bel Air, Biscayne, Caprice, Chevy II, Nova, and Chevelle models. Each seat belt set replicates the original in belt design offering an original and authentic appearance. Features the correct length webbing and original style stitching matching the original GM belt. This seat belt set will replace the original worn out belt set, or can be added to most passenger car models. Emblazoned with OER's exclusive and unique Gold and Red "Starburst" decals. Each decal comes in a color scheme that is reminiscent of the original featuring the "Starburst" logo in gold, on a red background with goldleaf design and chrome borders.

Fits front bucket seats (RH and LH), and rear seat (RH, LH).

Seat belt webbing and stitching comes in black. This five belt set includes 2 front and 2 rear seat belt assemblies.

Deluxe Seat Belt Assembly Features:
Gold Starburst Logo on Embossed Red Decal
High Grade Stamped Steel Buckle
Original style webbed design belts
Correct patterned stitching
Attachments
Seat Belt OER Brand.png
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

Looks like a nice car all but the black exterior. I'm partial to the Evening Orchid! I had a 65 Corsa Evening Orchid car and put a built turbo engine in it, after that we called it Wild Orchid!!!!
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Congratulations on a nice buy.

The 1965 models were only built with front seat belts, however rear seat belts were optional. Beginning in with the model 1966 model year lap seat belts were standard on the front and rear seats. The standard belts were a plastic pull cover. Many Corsa and Monza models were delivered with the "optional" deluxe seat belts with a stainless steel buckle and push button.
Per the body tag data sheet I have for "GROUP 5".
In 1965 the "W" code was for deluxe front seat belts with retractors. There were no standard rear seat belts.
In 1965 the "G" code was for optional rear custom seat belts (apparently deluxe were not available for the rear).
In 1966 the "Y" code was for deluxe front and rear seat belts, retractors on front belts. (Custom belts front and rear were standard)
Also part way through the 1966 model year roof mount brackets were installed for shoulder belts on the 66 bodies. The body tag has a small hole punched in the tag, however Chevrolet did not "technically" list shoulder belts as an option until the 1967 model year. They may have been a mid year option.

If you want the original hardware with new webbing, then find good used buckles and mounting brackets (buy old worn out belts). Years ago I sent used buckles and mounting ends to Python belt restoration and they did a great job fixing them up and installing new webbing - https://pythonrestoration.com/. They area a small operation and only do GM and Ford belts. There is also Ssnk ol belt restoration. A larger outfit, with mixed reviews. At the time they said "Send up you belts and we will give you an estimate, but you have to pay to get them back if you don't use us!" That turned me off. See https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

The reproductions are bad, but not exactly like original. So it's your call.

I DO NOT USE THE RETRACTORS as folks let the belt go and WACK it strikes and beats up the aluminum sill plate. Also if you don't pull the belt up BEFORE you close the door then sometimes the buckle end gets pinched between the door and sill plate and damages the sill. That said it's a hobby car you probably won't drive that much so the routine of hunting the floor for the belts isn't that big a deal, at least for me. Just part of the charm of an old car.

When I had a 69 Olds Vista cruiser wagon I drove a lot, I put in newer three point retractable (one buckle) belts. Note the Chevy 1969 shoulder belts had NO retractor and used a separate floor belt and buckle - what a mess and few used them. They were a mess of belts. A classic "met the letter of the law, but were so annoying to use that few used them. Amazing how long it took to get a decent three point shoulder lap belt.

Enjoy your car.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Thanks for the info guys. Lots to ponder on the belts.
In the meantime, since the car came with no keys, I had to pull the door lock to get that number.....and of course, the glove box lock didn't have a number, so I had to break into the trunk to pull the grill bar. I was tickled pink when I opened the trunk and saw its condition. See the note on the master cylinder. Silicone fluid? Like DOT 5 my old Harley used to use???? :dontknow:
Attachments
bulkhead.jpg
Trunk floor.jpg
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Looks like a really nice solid car! Good luck getting it reliable and running.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Holy cow! Look what Mrs. 2LZ found!
Attachments
manual.jpg
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Was the manual in the car? Now I have to wonder if the original build sheet might still be under the back seat. Dennis

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”