65 Corsa Convertible project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 65 Corsa Convertible project

Post by Am-Iron »

First of all I want to give give a big shout out to Bob rfw66 as he is one of the best guys I have never met! It will indeed be a pleasure to one day shake his hand. Soon I hope. Bob, thanks for the best deal ever for me in the Corvair world. I will also argue that your metal skills are very very good! I was using a mig on a lot of mine and that does keep the heat down better. If you did most of that with tig you are a master! The color should be silver. Because my car is going silver and it looks great on Corvairs. Besides our cars have almost identical rust and damaged areas! I will do a lot of graphics on mine so they will definitely not look the same. Looks at Cody's convertible in the restorations thread NICE. Thanks again Bob, and awesome job! Now is there a thread on the 68?? I have got to check on that one!
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Thanks Allen for all the kudos.
Your sills out weigh my by far!
Yes, on my FB albums you can see the '68 thread. Look for the blue Corvair on the album cover. It is at the painter's now. It will be the original light metallic blue. I had given the '68 to my daughter for her 16th BD, over 11 years ago.... after its "then" restoration. She loved the car. When it is finished she will probably want it back! hahaha We'll see.
I will be taking the '65 convertible for paint when I pick up the "68. I have a fender to replace, so I still have lots to do on that one before I get it to the painter. I have also cut out the typical rust on the driver front lower finder. Haven't welded it back yet. Today may be the day for that. It is all fitted in and ready to go!
I do hope that you can get by the convention. There is always lots to see and good folks to meet!
I had hoped to come but .... I wanted to spend some money at the vendor's tables. Not that I have lots of money, they just have lots of stuff!
We will meet one of these days. No worries Brother!
Bob
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Here is my fitting up and tacking in the little corner patch panel purchased from Clark's.
Inasmuch as there is so much tolerance in the body construction, The new replacement panels do not just fall into place.
cut, fit; cut, fit; cut, fit until you get it as close as possible. then secure by any means and tack away. :rafman:
BUT I have to say that it is not necessarily the fault of the new patch panels. Too many variables on these old cars!
At any rate here are a few pics of getting the latest patch panel in place.
Thanks to AM-Iron: Allen Amrine and to 65 Topless; Tom Dudak for their encouragement and tips on welding panels. :tu: Corvair people are always willing to help a fellow Vair guy.
Panel clamps really help. Magnets can't hold this panel up correctly.
Panel clamps really help. Magnets can't hold this panel up correctly.
Attachments
panel tack welded in... Look Ma, No warp! Thanks Allen and Tom.
panel tack welded in... Look Ma, No warp! Thanks Allen and Tom.
A look on the inside at the panel and welds
A look on the inside at the panel and welds
The "C" clamps are holding the inner fender well to the panel. Weld them up tomorrow!
The "C" clamps are holding the inner fender well to the panel. Weld them up tomorrow!
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

That is an excellent job! :tu:
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mart

Post by mart »

Nice to see somebody welding their repairs. The car I just bought from PA looks like it has been glued together. I can see lots of evidence of repairs but no evidence of welding, even the 2 new floor pas have been riveted and glued in. I have to go over the whole thing. SHAME ON YOU WHOEVER DID THESE REPAIRS AND SHAME ON RIGHT PEDAL AUTOSALES FOR PASSING IT ON TO ME :nono:
Attachments
DSCF6354.jpg
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Mart that car looks great. I would enjoy driving it while you can, and save money and start buying parts. I can't say how much I miss driving my car. The 4Runner is a good car, but definitely NOT a Corvair!!!! I guess I need another one for back up!
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

mart wrote:Nice to see somebody welding their repairs. The car I just bought from PA looks like it has been glued together. I can see lots of evidence of repairs but no evidence of welding, even the 2 new floor pas have been riveted and glued in. I have to go over the whole thing. SHAME ON YOU WHOEVER DID THESE REPAIRS AND SHAME ON RIGHT PEDAL AUTOSALES FOR PASSING IT ON TO ME :nono:
I think the types of repairs we're seeing here with these panels being custom-fitted and then welded in....is an example of extreme quality bodywork, definitely in the "full-on resto" catagory and not what most previous owners or bodyshops would do. Although riveted-in new floors?......probably most ARE welded in. That Right Pedal Autosales place probably thought no harm, no foul, you'll never find out and the floors will be secure and watertight.

BTW, I work with brand-new city transit buses and many of their body panels are glued on and I have a new-found respect for that glue they use. You need to use a forklift to pull off any dented or damaged panels! That stuff is wicked!
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

"When the '68 is ready, the '65 goes in for paint. Any ideas for color are welcome, along with your reason for your color suggestion. Thanks..........."

Looking good....My votes are Red exterior with white interior ( because that was my first LM love affair) or 65 mustang vintage burgundy with black interior. Because you need to show mustang people how much better it looks on a Corvair. :cool:
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
mart

Post by mart »

Am-Iron wrote:Mart that car looks great. I would enjoy driving it while you can, and save money and start buying parts. I can't say how much I miss driving my car. The 4Runner is a good car, but definitely NOT a Corvair!!!! I guess I need another one for back up!
Unfortunately its not great....its not even safe....its been very badly repaired in the past and is full of bondo and expanding foam :td:
mart

Post by mart »

flat6_musik wrote:
mart wrote:Nice to see somebody welding their repairs. The car I just bought from PA looks like it has been glued together. I can see lots of evidence of repairs but no evidence of welding, even the 2 new floor pas have been riveted and glued in. I have to go over the whole thing. SHAME ON YOU WHOEVER DID THESE REPAIRS AND SHAME ON RIGHT PEDAL AUTOSALES FOR PASSING IT ON TO ME :nono:
I think the types of repairs we're seeing here with these panels being custom-fitted and then welded in....is an example of extreme quality bodywork, definitely in the "full-on resto" catagory and not what most previous owners or bodyshops would do. Although riveted-in new floors?......probably most ARE welded in. That Right Pedal Autosales place probably thought no harm, no foul, you'll never find out and the floors will be secure and watertight.

BTW, I work with brand-new city transit buses and many of their body panels are glued on and I have a new-found respect for that glue they use. You need to use a forklift to pull off any dented or damaged panels! That stuff is wicked!
I wouldnt like to risk my life in a crash if a car that was designed to be welded was actually glued and riveted in the floor and frame areas. Its true, most of the repairs were well hidden , but a lot were obvious too, like bridging the holes in the rear wheelwells with expanding foam, and the front tie bar hanging lose where the crosmember had rusted off. Ah well, at least it will get the repair it deserves now :fingerscrossed:
rjgasco

Post by rjgasco »

I work in a plant that fabricates spare parts and sub assemblies for aircraft structures to some top manufacturers (Boeing/Sikorsky/Lockheed). Rivets and sealant (glue) are stronger than you think. Most of the aircraft structure is riveted together. However, I am in no way defending the workmanship you are dealing with. Aircraft grade epoxy and rivets aren't exactly available at NAPA or HomeDepot. Welding would be much cheaper and nicer looking in my opinion.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

mart wrote:I wouldnt like to risk my life in a crash if a car that was designed to be welded was actually glued and riveted in the floor and frame areas. Its true, most of the repairs were well hidden , but a lot were obvious too, like bridging the holes in the rear wheelwells with expanding foam, and the front tie bar hanging lose where the crosmember had rusted off. Ah well, at least it will get the repair it deserves now :fingerscrossed:
I must've missed where you mentioned that part....man, that's flat-out pathetic.
mart

Post by mart »

managed to contact previous owner today, it seems he used to leave most of the work to local garages, so we have professionals to blame for this. Have a look at some of the things I found, Ive only had it 2 weeks.
Attachments
note the joining of the new fender to the old one....glue?
note the joining of the new fender to the old one....glue?
nice foam and rivet repair
nice foam and rivet repair
rusted out crossmember...tie bar was not attached at this point
rusted out crossmember...tie bar was not attached at this point
replacement floorpans riveted in...only around edges...not fixed to frame
replacement floorpans riveted in...only around edges...not fixed to frame
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Speechless.... :sad5:
mart

Post by mart »

I have been looking through the info supplied with the car and may have found the perp. There is an itemised bill totalling 95 hours work from 1996 , $54 materials, including rivets, and $950 labour.....SNYDERS GARAGE ALLENSVILLE PA...Anyone know it?
Attachments
a corvar resto.jpg
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Notice it reads "garage", not "body shop"....lol....geez.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”