My 68 cruiser project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Dirtmcgirk

My 68 cruiser project

Post by Dirtmcgirk »

So I picked up my first Vair at the beginning of August. I’ve done some upgrades an also have done some much needed repairs and maintenance. I have some plans over the winter to go over the drive train, install air ride, and to restore the body. I’ll try to do better with updates on progress for those who are interested the progress. Here’s some pics of how it’s gone so far.
Attachments
79B9C276-B382-4F81-BD2A-125C7FBA7874.jpeg
8073F929-A525-4E87-A44C-24E0DDEA227D.jpeg
226B4409-9512-49B4-855B-57E089683694.jpeg
91A83B6C-01AD-4249-92D2-A0F2BDC08A32.jpeg
7F6A6D51-10C7-45C3-BD00-C4415864B3CB.jpeg
20BE6A07-02E9-40D0-A74B-C506E18DF505.jpeg
doug6423

Re: My 68 cruiser project

Post by doug6423 »

I’m interested so keep the updates coming. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
County98

Post by County98 »

Looks good. Is that the Clark's disk brake kit?
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Dirtmcgirk

Post by Dirtmcgirk »

No this is Rafee of Corvair1.com kit.
erco

Post by erco »

Looking good!

Love your opening line: So I picked up my first Vair at the beginning of August.
Dirtmcgirk

Post by Dirtmcgirk »

Hey back again it’s been a while but I’m back on track, I pulled the motor to do some seals an clutch replacement an while that was going on I cleaned up an painted the motor and engine bay with spray on bed liner (raptor liner) i just put the motor back in last night after a little hiatus.
Attachments
D7A53668-EDBF-4657-8458-AE48B0476889.jpeg
5934A3B0-0DF0-441A-A049-253111B1BA42.jpeg
039BDC8E-D96A-466E-975F-36AB3DED9B3E.jpeg
B8ADAA9E-B10E-4881-A2E0-CE321BEB4440.jpeg
3F751BAE-91FD-46E3-B622-73D8714F6ABE.jpeg
1CFA4CFD-2449-4044-8619-0F2BA8844E5C.jpeg
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Sweet! Everything is looking pretty sanitary there! I like the bedliner idea!
Dirtmcgirk

Post by Dirtmcgirk »

Thanx! It was leftover from a customers tailgate I had to do at work. I’m not doing a full restoration by any means but I figured it would help cleanup the engine bay an be real effective to have a nice uniform finish. The kits are pretty cheap to it’s under 200$ with the gun.
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

:tu:
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Vairy nice work. Make sure you have a good seal on the oil cooler cover. Or go to the folded fin version.
Cruise that baby!
Dirtmcgirk

Post by Dirtmcgirk »

Hahah indeed, I put some viton seals on it last fall 💪🏻
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

I was referring to a good air seal on the top and bottom shrouding. You have a mismatch of parts there.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

It is fascinating watching your progress and exploration of repairs, enhancements, improvements, etc. as you work your way aggressively through bringing your Corvair on line and ready for the road. The pictures tell a lot, so I hope you will keep them — and your comments — coming!

Here are a couple of observations and comments. You may or may not be aware of these things, but I hope my expression of opinions and observations may be of some use to you.

With regard to the oil cooler, a few have made comments in this area. There was a mention of using an early Corvair folded fin oil cooler, which is more-compact and efficient at heat transfer than the 12 plate oil cooler. Both options are the best stock coolers available. But you have stumbled on a problem. Your freshly-painted top sheet metal shroud is a bad fit for the 12-plate oil cooler. This needs to be corrected for effective airflow to be directed through the oil cooler, and to obtain a good air seal. I think you have two options:
  1. Obtain the correct upper shroud with the correct fit for a 12-plate oil cooler. https://corvairranch.com/
  2. Obtain an early folded-fin oil cooler. This oil cooler is more-efficient for heat transfer, and more compact, so I think it might fit properly when combined with your existing top shroud. However, it is more subject to becoming clogged with dirt and debris, so it needs more-frequent cleaning to keep the cooling air moving. (It was also more-expensive and complex to manufacture, which is likely why it was abandoned for the cheaper 12-plate design, which was also less-prone to getting clogged by dirt and debris). (An 8-plate oil cooler will also match your old sheet metal shroud).
If you decide to retain the more-than-adequate 12-plate oil cooler, you may be stuck with finding an appropriate upper sheet metal shroud and associated oil cooler access cover that will give you a good fit with this oil cooler.

Oil Cooler Issues.jpg
Corvair Center Title Bar.jpg
engine shroud paint recommendations
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,360522

Fuel Tank Return Line.jpg
Your engine includes a four-sided cross fuel pump connector that includes a thin fuel line that is intended to allow fuel to continue to move and circulate (and remain cool) during periods when both carburetor float bowl valves are closed and not accepting more gasoline. Under this circumstance the mechanical fuel pump output chamber cannot evacuate any fluid, so the pump plunger remains in the "UP" position and the pump pressure spring cannot force any fuel toward the carburetors. Since the fuel is not moving and is stagnant, it begins to increase in temperature as engine heat begins to build in the steel fuel line that connects the tank to the pump. Since "heat soak" conditions can occur, vapor lock becomes a possibility. To reduce this possibility, GM engineers added a small fuel tank return line that allowed fuel to keep moving, even when the carburetor inlets were closed. The moving fuel would remain cool and was less subject to vapor lock conditions. To restore this function, the fuel return line must be reconnected and properly maintained to prevent fuel leaks. (Items "X" and "Z" in the illustration below).
1965-1969 Engine Fuel Lines (Clark's Corvair Parts)
1965-1969 Engine Fuel Lines (Clark's Corvair Parts)
:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=67

NOTE: This addition by GM seemed to coincide with the introduction of the smog pump on the Corvair engine (about 1968). The smog pump brought about more engine heat and more problems with vapor lock or heat soak, so the different cross-type fuel pump fitting was substituted for the earlier 3-line "Tee" fitting. The cross fitting added an outlet to permit a fuel tank return line, to help to keep the fuel flowing and effectively to keep the fuel temperature lower and avoid vapor lock. If you decide to abandon the fuel return line, a standard "Tee" fitting at the pump outlet can be substituted to accomplish this.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=65
Part number C3230: FUEL PUMP MULTICONN EXC TURBO,60 & 68-69

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Page(s): 65(C)
Price: $ 14.00
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

This all depends of course on what left lower damper door sheet metal you have. It is differant to fit the 12 plate cooler or the 8 plate/folded fin version. As yet there have been no pictures of it.
Dirtmcgirk

Post by Dirtmcgirk »

Wow thanx guys for that great insight. This is my first vair so I love the info! I’ll look into getting another shroud that better suits my coolers needs. I do know about the fuel return line I just hadn’t hooked it up yet when I took the picture. (I got a lil excited 😆)
The car was originally a 140 car but someone swapped the motor with this 110, I noticed the tins around the motor are for the 140 motor cause of the 2 additional notches when the other 2 carbs would have been. So then is it possible the fan shroud is also for the 140 motor?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

As it states below, Turbo engines, 140hp engines, air conditioned 2 carburetor engines, etc. were often fitted at the factory with the larger 12 plate oil coolers and the associated engine sheet metal to match it. You might call the Corvair Ranch to see if they can help you out. They may have some 2-carburetor or 4-carburetor sheet metal that will match the 12-plate oil cooler, or you might have to downsize to an 8-plate or folded fin oil cooler to give you the desired engine sheet metal to oil cooler seal.

:link: https://corvairranch.com/
Improving the stock coolers.

Stock choices.
There were four different oil coolers stock - the "folded fin" design, and "plate" style in 3, 8, and 12 plate varieties. First, if you have a 3 plate, toss it and get an 8 plate or folded fin, the 3 plates just don't cool very much. Next, all of the coolers should be cleaned as directed in the owner's manual every year.

The "folded fin" cooler looks like a little radiator and was stock on all '60 and '61 engines. It's generally considered to work well, but it has the downside that it's easily clogged with dirt and leaves. If you remove the cover and clean it regularly they are good coolers. This cooler is a drop in for a 3 or 8 plate, so if you want a little more cooling you can upgrade easily.

The 12 plate cooler will bolt on to any Corvair engine, but you must use the correct shrouds. A standard upper shroud can be cut for the 12 plate cooler, but you need the lower shroud to match. For earlies, this shroud came on 1964 turbos, FCs, and cars with A/C. Late 140s and 180s and some A/C cars used the 12 plate, so the 12 plate lower shroud is fairly common for late models.

Side shields.
As noted in many places, the '63 and later oil coolers have gaps between the plates that allow air to escape instead of going through the cooler. The short history is that the original "folded fin" cooler had solid sides so there was no gap there. When Chevy changed to the "plate" design apparently nobody noticed the gaps or didn't consider them significant. Later on (around '67 or '68) Chevy realized this was a less than optimal design and created add on side shields, I have a set for a 12 plate cooler. They're pretty easy to make, I did some out of aluminum for the 8 plate cooler on the 110 in the '66 Corsa, here are a couple photos:
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/oil-cooler.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”