A little cleaned up before going on the trailer. The seller got the engine started with a separate gas container, cleaning the carbs, and a new fuel pump and fan belt. Runs rough but it runs.
The turbo pieces were in the trunk as it had been converted to the two carb setup. Fortunately it has what looks to be the original YR block, dated Sept. 12th which lines up with this car’s 2nd week of Sept. 62 build date.
It came originally with a 3spd. (doubt many Spyders were ordered with the base trans?), but it was replaced in the past by a ‘64 4 spd and differential (3.27 gears). Otherwise, this car looks mostly original. The paint is the factory 922 Ember Red.
Got it home now, changed the oil/filter, and will pull the gas tank this weekend to clean out and seal (still have a left over POR-15 tank sealing kit I didn’t use from a previous restoration). Also have some new tires coming next week. Then the basics, change the transaxle oil, go through the brakes/steering/suspension/carbs etc. Will plan on rebuilding most of it due to the age.
The previous owner from 1981-1987 kept crazy detailed records, including recording every gas fuel up - with the last one on 6-29-1987 at 69,711 miles. 67 miles less than the 69,778 on it now, 33 years later. He sold it to a collector who just stored it along with lots of other vehicles till he passed and I bought it from the estate.
Picked up the shop manuals and such, now it’s time to get this car back on the road
I used the POR-15 tank sealer. I had a kit from a couple years ago, it included the degreaser and the metal prep solutions, as well as the sealer. Just followed the steps, the trick was to make sure the tank is 100% dry before you pour in the sealer, and to keep slowly rotating the tank around to get sealer coverage over everything. I plugged up the fill and vent holes the whole time, but uncovered the sender hole after a while so I could look through it and make sure I had uniform coverage.
With these tanks not having a petcock for draining at a low point, it did take a little work to get the extra back out. I’d probably only pour in about 3/4’s of the sealer next time. I also did this to the inside of the filler neck, since I had everything available.
I think this sealer is the same one Clark’s offers, though I don’t think they include the degreaser and metal prep.
Time for a refresh
At least with the crossmember out I got to see that the body VIN matches
The sway bar mount on driver’s side lower control arm was broken off and the sway bar was missing as well as the upper sway bar mount on that side. Since I had to replace all these parts, I decided to upgrade to the larger ‘64 3/4” sway bar. Just had to swap the passenger lower control arm and sway bar upper mount.
You can see the difference between the ‘62/‘63 upper sway bar mount on the left and the ‘64 one.
All cleaned up and ready to go.
Since I wanted to use ‘64 lower control arms, I decided to get the rebuilt control arms all the way around from Clark’s. I’ve done a few 60’s GM front suspensions and have a 12T press but since I only had a few days off work figured I’d speed it up and use the rebuilt ones. Some extra $, but really nice. Got the sway bar from California Corvair.
Also cleaned up the underbody while I had the crossmember out.
Now time for brakes and steering...
Strut rod threads in good shape and had at least a 1/4”-3/8” of thread left. For now, I just put it back the same way.
Seems like they could have just backed the rod off some more.
Got the new front brakes on