62 Greenbrier restoration

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
62Greenbrierguy

62 Greenbrier restoration

Post by 62Greenbrierguy »

Hey y'all, I just got a 1962 6 door greenbrier van, it has been off the road for decades sitting up. A lot of work is needed and I'm looking forward to sharing my progress with you as well as learning from everyone else's experience. This is the oldest vehicle I've owned, I have restored a 1976 pontiac bonneville brougham in the past but sold it while back. I don't plan to sell this though! I have the original motor and trans the block may be good but stuck at the moment and missing fan and carbs. Stay tuned!
Attachments
image-2020-04-06-23-18-05.jpg
image-2020-04-06-23-18-21.jpg
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 62 Greenbrier restoration

Post by TikiRalf »

NICE and welcome to the forum! Keep us those photo's comming of the progres you make!

Greetings from oversea!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: :wave: :welcome2: Congratulations on acquiring your 1962 Corvair Greenbrier, and welcome to the Corvair Forum!
I know that photographs can make things look better than they are... but this Greenbrier sure looks to be a solid, relatively rust-free example! Even the view of the interior through the driver's window looks very clean and complete! If true this may be a great starting point for a clean restoration.

:my02: You might consider locating a solid and complete replacement engine — seeking a 1964-1969 110 hp 164 CI engine as your target for a solid, reliable engine with increased torque and horsepower over the original 145 CI engine. It can mate up to the original transaxle, if yours is in good condition. 1965 and later would come with a modern alternator, and can be set up with an alternator with integrated solid state voltage regulator. The later engine would also be fitted with a Positive Crankcase Ventilation system, which helps to reduce pollution and reduces crankcase oil contamination over the 1962 road draft tube system. The 1964 and later engines are also fitted with a lightweight magnesium cooling fan and belt guides that help to improve fan belt reliability by placing less stress on the belt. If upgraded to a modern distributor with an electronic breakerless ignition system, your Greenbrier would be powered with a strong engine with good reputation for reliability and with low maintenance requirements — ready for the long haul on the open road! :cool: ::-):
:swerve:

62 Greenbrier Restoration Project.jpg
Left-Click the Image to Enlarge for Better Viewing. Click a second Time for Maximum Enlargement.

A clean 1962 Greenbrier is a rare beast on today's roads. I look forward to viewing your restoration project here on the Corvair Forum as you make progress!
Truck Production Statistics
Truck Production Statistics
Vehicle Registration Identification Number Decoding
Vehicle Registration Identification Number Decoding

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you, your Corvair, and you plans for your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing where you live also helps, as your location may suggest some possibilities or solutions. Detailed photographs of your Corvair, including interior, trunk, and engine compartment would be great!

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/index.php
:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
62Greenbrierguy

Post by 62Greenbrierguy »

Hey, thank you for the welcome and the information. Maybe someday my greenbrier can be on the level of your Lakewood and Corsa! Beautiful rides!
Here are some other photos from the listing, where there is rust it is really bad, a tree had fallen on it at, some point so there are some dents on roof and smashed windshield, also has various dings all around.
cabin
cabin
00n0n_itnZE6AQOov_600x450.jpg (38.61 KiB) Viewed 640 times
cargo area
cargo area
00L0L_j7niPz6xFxU_600x450.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 626 times
roof
roof
00l0l_6zmm0tHE4qT_600x450.jpg (14.5 KiB) Viewed 640 times
passanger rear
passanger rear
00h0h_6cmtrOy4GLG_600x450.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 640 times
cabin front
cabin front
00F0F_1Pxv7cDKgzE_600x450.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 640 times
passenger front
passenger front
00t0t_5Lq6A2nb3oT_600x450.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 640 times

I bought the car sight unseen, i found the ad while looking for camper vans on craigslist. I live near Atlanta, Georgia, and It was about 40 miles from the city. I will decode my vin and post the breakdown for more details. The previous owner does have a newer engine that I'm going to look into purchasing.( im not sure which year yet.) I have worked on cars and bikes and taught myself and acquired tools as necessary over the years from past projects but i have no formal experience nor am i familiar with the corvair family at all. Im in my second yr of university for engineering but am out of school at the moment. I will add updates and be more active here soon, been busy shuffling things and making space for this endeavor! Thanks.
front
front
00Q0Q_ihfzKmnaVBK_600x450.jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Attachments
bay
bay
00505_4Ti3oZsicXg_600x450.jpg (27.52 KiB) Viewed 640 times

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”