The Quarantine Vair

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
AManNamedNoah

The Quarantine Vair

Post by AManNamedNoah »

Hey all,

I drove this beauty through my junior and senior years of high school until I lost compression in half the engine. I since have gone away for college and she’s been sitting. Corona has sent me home and kept me here which means it’s time to get back to work.
IMG_0936.JPG
60652700393__969C0BBD-D4C1-49B6-AAE3-7D16718F809E.JPG
I’ll show off what I’ve done so far and then seek your assistance in the next post.

So far, I’ve removed the engine from the vehicle using a jack and a furniture dolly.
IMG_0975.JPG
60661387854__B7668B99-F5C8-4493-B918-3C9C08700D2F.JPG
I’ve also stripped it of all its sheet metal and have one of the heads removed....
IMG_0998.JPG
And it’s not looking great....
IMG_0999.JPG
Nonetheless, it’s not a lost cause. This car isn’t going anywhere and I sure as hell have the time to get her back on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Noah Montierth

McKinney, TX
'64 Corvair Monza Coupe
'74 Honda CT90
AManNamedNoah

Re: The Quarantine Vair

Post by AManNamedNoah »

So at least one of my heads is trash. Tomorrow we’ll find out about the other one. Knowing I at least need a new head, pistons and cylinder (and probably a camshaft?), I feel like finding a used engine and salvaging those parts would be the cheapest way to go. I’m also tempted to go with a set of 6 .185 overbore pistons and cylinders I found for 150 and build this thing fast from the ground up. Just thoughts right now, but any advice is appreciated. I’d like to keep it cheap, fast and reliable. I know that’s unrealistic but a man can dream

Noah Montierth

McKinney, TX
'64 Corvair Monza Coupe
'74 Honda CT90
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

This 1965 110 hp 164 CI engine resides in a Corvair Monza that is sitting in San Antonio. Seller says it is "not running", but cars like this may be worth examining if they aren't too far from you. You might just come across a solid engine that just needs some TLC to be transplanted into your car's waiting engine compartment. If it cranks and has good compression, you might be able to get it for little money (salvage title... car asking price is way over its realistic value)! Perhaps some cleanup work and your carburetors could work wonders!

This is only an example. But a search for a late model donor car with a decent 110 hp engine might be just what your car needs!

:google: :search:

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Rebuilding it with all new parts is best but pricey! You may just luck out and find a local running motor you can drop in or salvage parts from. Keep up the search.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

You are on it! And what a wonderful use of time and money!
Good hunting on engine stuff.
Wash your hands like crazy.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
AManNamedNoah

Post by AManNamedNoah »

bbodie52 wrote:This 1965 110 hp 164 CI engine resides in a Corvair Monza that is sitting in San Antonio. Seller says it is "not running", but cars like this may be worth examining if they aren't too far from you. You might just come across a solid engine that just needs some TLC to be transplanted into your car's waiting engine compartment. If it cranks and has good compression, you might be able to get it for little money (salvage title... car asking price is way over its realistic value)! Perhaps some cleanup work and your carburetors could work wonders!

This is only an example. But a search for a late model donor car with a decent 110 hp engine might be just what your car needs!

:google: :search:

Was wondering if there were 110 HP LM engines, that’ll help widen the search. Got a few messaged, we’ll see how the search goes, definitely would rather go that route than a full rebuild. Thanks for the advice!

Noah Montierth

McKinney, TX
'64 Corvair Monza Coupe
'74 Honda CT90
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Sometimes you can buy a "parts car" for less money and with fewer problems then buying an engine by itself. So you might consider looking for cheap Corvairs with the intent of removing the powertrain and any useful parts from a badly rusted or damaged/decayed body. My first engine overhaul (when I was 16) came from a 1963 Corvair 500 donor car. That engine ended up in a clean 1962 Monza coupe that needed an engine, and the combo served me as a teen, when I was married, etc. for a number of years. Sometimes a great engine can be found residing in a badly deteriorated "junker" car, and the owner might not realize the value of the components and will let the car go for very little money!

:search: :typing: :confused: :CGebay: Here are several Corvair For Sale websites that may be useful...
eBay is one possibility...

CORVAIRS FOR SALE
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.c ... =buyorsell

Just Listed!
:link: https://www.corvair.org/go-shopping

Chevrolet Corvair for Sale
:link: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/car ... et/corvair

Classifieds for Classic Chevrolet Corvair
:link: http://classiccars.com/listings/find/al ... et/corvair

:link: http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/che ... rvair.html

Corvairs for Sale
:link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvairs ... 7975069947

Even a :google: :search: for "Corvairs for Sale" will produce many leads.
:fingerscrossed:
Brad Bodie
AManNamedNoah

Post by AManNamedNoah »

A lot has happened in a week- in the world but more importantly... on the Quarantine Vair.

60748712786__56707DF3-CEA7-4D9A-B613-A8BA18C33EBB.JPG
Meet Lucy, she’s out of a 64 Spyder and has been sitting for a while, but she’s finally getting the attention she deserves. I want fast and cheap so I couldn’t pass up on a 140 that came with 4 “rebuilt” carbs for 200 bucks.

I feel like by taking apart Lucy I’m getting the full Corvair experience- broken bolts, snails, wasps, cobwebs and even barrels stuck to the heads.
IMG_1026.JPG
Getting those heads off was a workout... but now that they’re off, here’s what they look like
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG
Any advice on how to get those barrels off without damaging the head or fins?

Tomorrow we’ll get started on removing and inspecting the valves and inspecting the heads. This project is turning into a full time job for me and I’m starting to learn just how little I know.... but at least I’m learning.

I also scored some deals when picking up the engine.

Entire rebuilt front suspension, rebuilt steering box, new gas lines, new brake lines and hoses for the whole car, new master cylinder, 2 turned rear drums, a cleaned out and painted fuel tank with filler neck and sending unit. All for 400 bucks
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
Managed to burn through half of Trump’s money already but it’s going to a good cause

Noah Montierth

McKinney, TX
'64 Corvair Monza Coupe
'74 Honda CT90
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Wow very nice score!!!!
Maybe spray some penetrating oil around the cylinders and let them sit for a day or so? A little heat from a torch? Heat the aluminum (it expands faster). Be careful not to catch the place on fire. :extinguisher:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
AManNamedNoah

Post by AManNamedNoah »

Thanks Scott, I’ll always hesitant with using the torch for that reason but I’ll give it a shot lol

Noah Montierth

McKinney, TX
'64 Corvair Monza Coupe
'74 Honda CT90
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Nice score!

65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
AManNamedNoah

Post by AManNamedNoah »

IMG_1048.JPG
Been working on cleaning up the heads and noticed this mark is machined into the mating head. So clearly it’s supposed to be there but is there a purpose to it? Wouldn’t it prevent the head from sealing properly to the cylinders?

Noah Montierth

McKinney, TX
'64 Corvair Monza Coupe
'74 Honda CT90
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I believe the area you circled is a result of the aluminum head casting process. The machined head gasket sealing/mating surface is seen near the spark plug hole, where the cylinder barrel inserts into the head and seals against the round head gasket.

Brad Bodie
AManNamedNoah

Post by AManNamedNoah »

Been reading Helt’s book on the carburetors and it looks like I’m in the possession of 4 63 carbs. Also turns out my “new” engine is from a 66 and not a 64.

My question is, since I’m trying to run a 4 carb setup with 4 (primary) 63 carbs, can I modifying two of these carbs to be secondary carbs by cutting the idle tube in the Venturi cluster and plugging up the vacuum tubes? And are there any other modifications I would have to make to these carbs to put them on a 66 140 engine?

Everybody’s been super helpful so thank you guys.

Noah Montierth

McKinney, TX
'64 Corvair Monza Coupe
'74 Honda CT90
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Lots of people run primary carbs in place of the secondary 140s. I've never heard of anyone running the early carburetors though since they don't have power enrichment circuits.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”