Gene Winfield one off 1966 Corvair!

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
onlyonebgw

Gene Winfield one off 1966 Corvair!

Post by onlyonebgw »

Hello Corvairers!

One day searching the web for classic cars for sale, I came across a listing for a custom 66 Corvair on Arizona craigslist. When looking over the very very poorly done listing with those photos you click on that only get about an inch by inch big on your computer screen (You know the ones,) I quickly noticed this was not your normal chopped up custom Corvair! I contact the owner ASAP. After a 2 hour long conversation with the original 91 yr. old owner and some new photos emailed over by the neighbor (Younger guy who knew technology,) I learned a remarkable back story on this 66 Corvair.

The story goes that the gentleman who was selling the Corvair started this project over 30 years ago with his good friend Gene Winfield. If you do not know who Gene is, stop reading here and do your research. The list of things done to the 66 Corvair is extensive and I do not have the energy to list everything. In short: The 66 back seats are deleted and converted into a mid engine powered by a mid 80's front wheel drive Buick v8 small block and matching transmission (Transmission and motor sit sidways.) The Corvair now sits on a custom frame with disc brakes all around. The roof has been permanently removed so no rainy drives in this Corvair. Interior was brand new but from the 80's when project first started. Since then I have put a new black on black interior that closely resembles an original 66 Corvair (Mix in some old with new.) The body work is incredible and you can tell that it was done by a pro. The rear all steel fenders are flared out to accommodate 12" wide tires to grab when you want to get on it. The rear tail lite is a solid bar extending across the whole back of the Corvair powered by LED and covered by a custom formed piece of plastic glass. The new rear engine hood is louvered for added breath-ability along with side vents custom fabricated into the side panels of the Corvair to funnel air to help cool the motor. A 10 gallon fuel cell sits under the new front BMW style retractable hood.

I can go on and on about this one of a kind custom one off Gene Winfield 1966 Corvair. One of the craziest parts about this Corvairs story is, since this build was started back in the late 80's, 2 paint jobs, and two different motor swaps later, the Corvair has ZERO miles on the build! Zero! All because of a few small last minute details. The gentamen who was selling car said time just got away from him and now is in a wheel chair. The Corvair was very hard for him to sell but he knew it deserved to be completed and on the road.

I bought the Corvair site unseen and have been doing the last little check lists to get the Corvair back on the road and the recognition/glory it deserves.

I will be selling this Corvair. I recently sold my warehouse and only have room for one car for the current moment. The 66 Corvair is located in Santa Cruz, California. DM me if you are interested and or have any questions. Thanks for reading! -Ben
Attachments
IMG_3363 copy.jpg
IMG_3367.jpg
IMG_3366.jpg
IMG_3368.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Gene Winfield one off 1966 Corvair!

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://www.dailyturismo.com/2019/05/v8- ... rolet.html
Friday, May 24, 2019
V8 Mid Engine Custom: 1966 Chevrolet Corvair

The Chevrolet Corvair was a world changing car when introduced in 1960. Its combination of subtle styling, aircooled alloy flat-6 out back and unibody construction was a fantastic machine that was the unfortunate recipient of the attention of a savvy young lawyer/politician named Ralph Nader who needed to make a name for himself. But if a stock Corvair caused Mr Nader to write a book and then sue GM, then this next modified mid-engine V8 Corvair would have caused him to crapped his pants and run screaming for mommy. Find this 1966 Chevrolet Corvair offered for $10,000 in Fountain Hills, AZ via craigslist. Tip from Rock On! Mid Engine Custom: 1966 Chevrolet Corvair

From the seller:
1966 Chevrolet Corvair
VIN: 105676W182310
condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 75
paint color: red
size: compact
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
Other custom features include :

4 wheel disk brakes
Custom made aluminum 16 gallon gas tank
BMW hood latch rear opening
All new custom gauges
Custom sound system
Leather seats with fabric inserts
remote electric door openers.

One of a kind custom car, quality unique build.
ImageImage

ImageImage
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

My wife and I looked at that back in April and it decided it was not our cup-o-tea. We spent close to 2-hours there talking with them about the project and his friendship with Gene.

More photos here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Lgx5qosA1S7UHkx6
Attachments
20190414_112314.jpg
20190414_113014.jpg
20190414_111741.jpg
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Dave, in your opinion what was wrong with it ?
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

There were some things that needed attention if you were to drive it regularly. The seller mentioned that the rod from the brake pedal into the master cylinder did not align correctly and that was one of the bigger issues to me that should have been fixed after so many years since it was converted. There were some paint flaws but it looks like those are being taken care of. The one-piece rear tail light panel was cracked but that could be replicated. It wasn't able to be started or driven the day we were there so that didn't help.

The main thing that turned me off was that is just looked too much like a wild conversion from the 80's (think of the movie "Corvette Summer"). I also didn't care for the open top design and worried that it had so few miles on the conversion to prove it all road-worthy. This could be a perfect car for the right buyer. I just wasn't that buyer.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

azdave wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:15 am The main thing that turned me off was that is just looked too much like a wild conversion from the 80's (think of the movie "Corvette Summer"). I also didn't care for the open top design and worried that it had so few miles on the conversion to prove it all road-worthy. This could be a perfect car for the right buyer. I just wasn't that buyer.
I have to agree with Dave. To me, it's some sort of abstract that tried going several directions at once. I feel like I'm at an art show tilting my head in both directions asking myself, WTF? It is the strangest thing to look at and not in a good way. It seems to have 'some' sort of sporty element and then again tilting my head the other way, I just don't know but something like that isn't my cup of tea either and usually love 'one of a kind' vehicles. I just don't feel it here.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”