My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
64CorvairMonza

Re: My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

When I set my carb chokes with my gas pedal and start the car, it starts right up. After it warms up and I throttle it, the chokes release and it idles low and stalls if I don't milk the gas pedal. But it runs really nice and smooth on Choke.

I checked the fuel/air mixture screws and they are both out 2 1/2 turns. Shouldn't they me more like 1 1/2 turns? I've tried the idle screws to no avail and I even swiveled the throttle linkage adjuster around a couple turns to no avail. I was told that they are new carbs but that is doubtful by the looks of them,but, maybe they are 5 years new and maybe they never adjusted the throttle linkage correctly that operated from the gas pedal after installation. I hear there's a vacuum system and one hose goes to the vacuum advance and the others connect to the carb diaphragms with one vacuum port open so I plugged it. That didn't change anything. Should that one port that is open go to something? I asked a mechanic buddy it maybe the filter stones could be clogged and he told me that if it runs on choke, they are fine. I wish I could get him to check it out but he despises Corvair engines LOL!!!! I guess he's having 'multi carb flashbacks' LOL Thanks for your help
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

There should not be any open vacuum ports. If you have one that is a big part of your problem.
There are 4 ports total on the carburetors. The horizontal ports each go to the choke pull offs. The vertical one on the driver's side carburetor should be capped. The vertical one on the passenger side carburetor goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor.
The mixture screws being out so far is probably due to the vacuum leak.
The throttle linkage can be disconnected and it will still idle fine. If the linkage is really screwed up it may idle too fast.
Your friend is correct in that it isn't the stones if it runs good on choke.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

:goodpost:

OK, then since I plugged the correct vertical unused vacuum port on the driver's side, then I will turn both gas/fuel mixture to 1 1/2 turns out and go from there. What you say makes great sense and described my situation. I only asked my question after I put a cap on that found unused vertical vacuum port. Thank-You very much and I'll let you know what I find out. :tu:
Last edited by 64CorvairMonza on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

1-1/2 is a good starting point but you will have to fiddle with them to get it right. It may still be pretty far off. Sometimes a little bit of a turn can make a big difference.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”