My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
64CorvairMonza

Re: My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I stand corrected. After I made my purchase for the 80/20 loop carpet for a total of $240 including shipping, payment went through so I thought I was on easy street for a minute! A half hour later I get an ebay message that that carpet was discontinued and that I would be refunded soon!!! Good thing they have a 100% rating! I order by excellent ratings anyway. They referred me to another site for plush instead because it would be one piece. I ordered the 80/20 loop and after I ordered it, found it to be two piece and how I missed that is beyond me. I guess I saw the part about 1 piece referring to PLUSH and wasn't paying attention. Glad I'm being refunded but I don't find 'one piece plush' or anything one piece at the other website. Back to square one. I just hate metal floors exposed ( as it looks ugly and incomplete like using a poor man's carpet supply)even if it's under a seat and I think two piece is much harder to secure and contain anyway if all I find are what is pictured below. i don't mind two piece overlapped. . Hooooo hummmm
z.jpg
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I have never seen any carpets from anywhere for Corvairs that were one piece covering the entire floor surface. Something like that would likely have to be done custom by owner or trim shop.

Yeah the glovebox door "fix" is a little tedious but doable most times as long as the pot metal surround straightens out nicely.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Looking for the Grant steering wheel adapter kit #3192 and can't find it. I saw one sold on another site and that's where I got the part # from. Anyone know of a kit # to look up? I want to buy this beautiful steering wheel really bad! I wonder if the part number was amended or changed? I tried google for a kit for the 1964 Corvair and nothing. Thanks for your help.

UPDATE: I found one for the steering shaft but not for the three hole steering wheels to mount to. The steering wheel I found has the'wheel' adapter mounted to it (the wheel like a MOMO w/6 holes) and it's 3 holes that mount to the steering shaft adapter.

https://www.perfvair.com/steering-wheel-adapters/
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Seth Emerson is the best source I know for good steering wheel adapters for out cars. Look like you found the right spot.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I sent him an e-mail and got a response and now I'm waiting for a link to the adapter as I told Seth that I can't click on anything on his site for making a purchase. You can only click on PDF's for instructions on How To Install..... Maybe tomorrow he will respond with a link. I like the idea of the polished aluminum adapter to match my new wheel. Anyway, I bought the wheel for $150 shipped on ebay which was normally $230 new from Grant. Yes, my priorities got a bit off track but I could not pass this one up. I had one before and I loved it. Thanks
zzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg
zzzzz.jpg
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Can someone tell me what all those abbreviations stand for? Example>> LM<< I've seen both convertibles and coupes listed under those initials. I think FC is for the Corvair Van or truck?? Where do the abbreviations come from? This is confusing to me when I go to buy parts because there's no other explanation of what type of Corvair it is referring to. Is there an abbreviation list?

Thanks.
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I have the 1964 steering wheel adapter kit on the way now!! I've got nearly $300 wrapped up in the steering wheel department now... wooooohoooooooo! I've also ordered a PAIR of Corvair mirrors because I seem to think cars look tacky with one side mirror. I like sporty looking classics. :Love it: :swerve: BTW, here are a couple of my latest restorations!! 1965 Chevy Impala RS, and my 1971 Chevy El Camino SS... Glad i have a car to just take a break with and dress up now! My Corvair has 37,000 original miles on it. And how about my custom off road racing lawn mower that will do over 50 mph!!! I call it the redneck ATV LOL! :biker:
zzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
zzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzz.jpg (40.64 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
zzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzz.jpg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

64CorvairMonza wrote:Can someone tell me what all those abbreviations stand for? Example>> LM<< I've seen both convertibles and coupes listed under those initials. I think FC is for the Corvair Van or truck?? Where do the abbreviations come from? This is confusing to me when I go to buy parts because there's no other explanation of what type of Corvair it is referring to. Is there an abbreviation list?

Thanks.
LM is Late Model
EM is Early Model
FC is Forward Control

And I’ve only had a Corvair for 3 years and can’t answer the other questions:)

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

EM= 60-64 Cars including station wagons (60 models are often called caveman cars), LM=65-69 cars. FC= 61-65 Corvair trucks (Forward Control vehicles).

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Awesome, thanks !! When people reference their cars, they should put the second digit of the year after the abbreviation so we know which of the EM, LM, or, FC vehicle style and year they have like, mine is EM4MC :rolling: Early Model 1964 Monza Coupe :neener:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

64CorvairMonza wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:12 am Awesome, thanks !! When people reference their cars, they should put the second digit of the year after the abbreviation so we know which of the EM, LM, or, FC vehicle style and year they have like, mine is EM4MC :rolling: Early Model 1964 Monza Coupe :neener:
This I think may be way too confusing for many Corvair owners who post here asking involved mechanical questions with no description of what car they are working on at all:)

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I finally deciding to put my reading glasses on and get a closer look at the front end trim. I was not very happy with what I found! This cannot be factory. I've never seen diamond plate trim with a gold Chevy emblem glued to it. There's more I have to reverse besides filling in the holes drilled into the rear deck lid to mount a mustang spoiler to it ( yes folks, go look at the photos)!!! Kinda ironic that I'm getting a wood steering wheel used in a mustang though.... :rolling: Anyway, the ONLY 'near' mustang related car I would own is the 1980 Black Magic if I wanted a Mustang. My brother owned a Black Magic in white with black trim and it was awesome.... and powerful.

With that said, I have photos to show you this puke job. These cars need to be kept out of the hands of immature people! I believe in personalizing your ride but NOT distorting it!! I want the outside as close to factory as possible ( luckily my favorite color is red)with the exception that I am putting a mirror on each door for balance. And I've been wondering IF Bright RED or Porsche RED is the new 'EMBER RED' color with a name change cause they are so close......And without further ado.....
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Clark's has the correct front trim insert in repro. It is on page297.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

terribleted wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 am Clark's has the correct front trim insert in repro. It is on page297.
Thank-YOU! I was hoping there was an insert and nobody cut that triangle out of that trim! Did the front of the hood have trim? And yes, I need the Corvair emblem for my front trunk lid. Something about that trunk lid just don't seem right. maybe the front nose spacing when closed, I don't know. Everything else lines up. That's why I ask if there should be trim.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

On a 64 there was C O R V A I R in separate letters across the front of the front lid and the rear of the rear lid. On the hood there were 2 designs of these letters. Some were push in style and the rest were nut on style with access holes in the backside of the lid. Your hood may or may not have holes across the front that have been filled in. If there are no holes then the lid has been swapped for a pre 64 lid. This swap is not uncommon as the letters allowed water to get into the front of the lid and rust them out, and pre 64 lids had no letters on them. The push in style lettering was worse for this issue as the access holes for the nut on type allowed at least some drying. New letters and retainers are on page 298.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: 1964 CORVAIR SAMPLER :clap:

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”