My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
64CorvairMonza

Re: My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

OK, I was able to finally figure out code words LOL for what I needed at Clarks through the online cat. and ordered everything I needed including the LEFT SIDE (driver's side) wheel opening trim that I have missing!!! Now that I have an account with them it will be easier from now on. Thanks for all your help and stay tuned!! When I looked at items on Ebay, some refer the left and right as facing the front of the car and I actually had to look at the part to see where it belonged!!! And yes, just for stupid people they stamped an L and a R on most parts. So, if you have a turn signal lens with a big fat R on it, don't say it's for the Left side!!!! In reality it is when you are sitting behind the steering wheel!!! I wish people would get this right. Clarks has it right.

PLEASE!!! For people who don't know this, correct it!!!!!!!
"When it comes to auto parts, the sides are determined by the position of the driver in the vehicle, facing forward. Meaning, looking over the hood, and sitting in the driver's seat, your left hand is the left side, your right hand is the right side."
:yeahthat:
Last edited by 64CorvairMonza on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I don't think I ever got an answer to this question but I need to buy and install the new horns before I mount the headlight assemblies. I mentioned that I want to change my horns to one that sound like the road runner. The majority have two prongs just like the motorcycle horns do. Are the single prong,higher amp tolerable? I think the two prong are a direct hit and for applications where grounding may not be suitable or available. I don't have any to test, so my question is>> IF I mount the horn while running a grounding wire off one of the two terminals to the mounting bolt leaving one terminal open, and then plug the car's positive wire (+) to the remaining pin on the horn, won't that work the same? The horn is getting a positive and a negative and the horn button activates it to complete the circuit and we already have a relay. IF this works, then I don't have to hunt for single hot pin meep meep horns. I'm sure the pins are labeled positive and negative also.

The HELLA SUPER HORNS have a more adult like sound and still a low toned meep meep and original Plymouth Road Runner horns are around $100 each...... Yeh, I like them that much LOL.. Hella dual tone sound great IMO.. See video for the Hella sound difference.. What is your preference? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGQt-y_UxE
111-951-113BG-2T.jpg
111-951-113BG-2T.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 748 times
018-plymouth-road-runner-beep-beep-horn.jpg
horn_1.jpg
horn_1.jpg (10.87 KiB) Viewed 748 times
piaa-lights-2-night-1.jpg
images (5).jpg
images (5).jpg (7.67 KiB) Viewed 748 times
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The 12V horns are a 2 wires system. Positive input and ground. The stock horn uses its metal body as the ground path. Horns like you are looking at with 2 wires use one wire for + voltage from the switch and one wire to go to the ground. The ground wire can be mounted to the body about anywhere, but, I would suggest to getting body ground at the mounting bolt for the horn might be expedient:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Hella dual horn system

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Thanks and I agree that the Hella dual horns sound great together.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

64CorvairMonza wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:23 am OK, I was able to finally figure out code words LOL for what I needed at Clarks through the online cat. and ordered everything I needed including the LEFT SIDE (driver's side) wheel opening trim that I have missing!!! Now that I have an account with them it will be easier from now on. Thanks for all your help and stay tuned!! When I looked at items on Ebay, some refer the left and right as facing the front of the car and I actually had to look at the part to see where it belonged!!! And yes, just for stupid people they stamped an L and a R on most parts. So, if you have a turn signal lens with a big fat R on it, don't say it's for the Left side!!!! In reality it is when you are sitting behind the steering wheel!!! I wish people would get this right. Clarks has it right.

PLEASE!!! For people who don't know this, correct it!!!!!!!
"When it comes to auto parts, the sides are determined by the position of the driver in the vehicle, facing forward. Meaning, looking over the hood, and sitting in the driver's seat, your left hand is the left side, your right hand is the right side."
:yeahthat:
I hope you ordered a CAT along with your other parts. The paper catalog is far superior and faster most times than looking for parts in the online one. I can scan pages faster with the paper. Areas of the car are often within a small number of pages so once you find the area (carbs for example) you can find related parts easily. The only problem is you see the other things you really want but do not want to buy right now😊

And yes vehicles are always referenced with right and left based on sitting in the driver's seat. Also front is front of the car. Do not tell me you took the harmonic balancer off the front of your Corvair engine for instance. Is like anything else people just do not know any better. I love it when I see used parts listed as NOS (New Old Stock)..LOL
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Well, I'm stalled for the time being. I have transferred the items over to the new ring, installed the long spring on the outside of the two posts in the column and was ready for assembly but I'm just not sure that the spring is on the right side of the posts in the column and if it is, the nylon bushing looks as if it would ride on the inside of the spring. I'm just not sure. I thought the bushing would ride on the outside but then the spring would have to be flipped for that cause it just cant be pulled back as tight as it is. Can anyone tell me just what position the spring and bushing be in? Spring on the outside as pictured and bushing riding on the inside? My guess is because of the 'stopper' in the casting that would prevent that spring from dropping downward, I have it right. IF so, the bushing rides the inside?? Thanks all!!!! Have a Happy New Year!!

Here's the one I just removed.
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
Bolt de-greased, re-greased and parts transferred over.
DSC_0072.JPG
The nylon bushing won't slide on all the way.
DSC_0069.JPG
The inside of the column is so simple!! I guess that all changed in 1965 with the plastic insert.
DSC_0050.JPG
Is this spring placement correct? I'm guessing yes by the way it looks like the area was made for it.
DSC_0089.JPG
Sorry about other areas out of focus but I am on 'pinpoint focus' . What side of that spring does that bushing ride on and is that the correct position for that bushing to ride on that pin?

Again, Thanks for all your help. Scott
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

terribleted wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:30 am I hope you ordered a CAT along with your other parts. The paper catalog is far superior and faster most times than looking for parts in the online one. I can scan pages faster with the paper. Areas of the car are often within a small number of pages so once you find the area (carbs for example) you can find related parts easily. The only problem is you see the other things you really want but do not want to buy right now😊

And yes vehicles are always referenced with right and left based on sitting in the driver's seat. Also front is front of the car. Do not tell me you took the harmonic balancer off the front of your Corvair engine for instance. Is like anything else people just do not know any better. I love it when I see used parts listed as NOS (New Old Stock)..LOL
Yes, I do have mine even with the supplement books but I for some reason use them for referencing and looking up parts and when I find what I need, I fold the page corner out so I can find it easier later. I keep it right behind my laptop here but for some reason I decided to go with the online catalog and select and send to my cart. I never thought of looking at my catalog for page #'s and then going to that page online. Next time I'll do better... :rolling:
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I looked at these photos and by the looks of the one with the ring installed, they pulled the spring inward and dropped the bushing over the outside of it. THIS is the position that I can see to have the bushing located in a neutral position after the cancel cam ends the turn signal activation. I can see three positions for that bushing to ride on. Am I correct? Bushing on the outside?
corvette_steering_column_wedge_9b7972524cc0a0af90c2aa6bfa4298c123700c2e (1).jpg
vette_turn_sig_housing_02b96a952f8c9fc74ef47cfb35e6a9dc77f0a3a6.jpg
vette_turn_sig_housing_02b96a952f8c9fc74ef47cfb35e6a9dc77f0a3a6.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 719 times
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

"The little roller is supposed to ride on the inside of the detent spring so the roller catches in the V in the middle (signals off)."

IF I mount the roller on the 'INSIDE of that spring, there will no no NEUTRAL position. However there is a V facing outside for a neutral position. It also looks like the molding in the housing is used as a stopper so you don't go too far either direction..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

It needs to ride on the side you have outside in the above photo.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

terribleted wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:57 pm Yeah the wide washer part of the roller goes up so the lower side of it rides on top of the spring keeping it from falling down into the column and yes the roller rides on the outside of the spring.
This is what I needed to find. And I take it my spring is mounted correctly. Tomorrow I can go out and finish mounting my steering wheel. Happy New Years!!!!!!!!! 2020 will be a year to remember........ :beavisbutthead: :beavisbutthead: :beavisbutthead: :beavisbutthead: :partydudes: :partydudes: :partydudes: :USA:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I am not positive about which way the spring goes. I have not put one together in a bit. Seems to me it will only work one way and not the other.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

Yeh, I've heard if it's mounted the other way, it would be loose and fall off. That signal ring is a real SOB to try and install!!! Especially with bad lighting. I'll give it another try later. :banghead:
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

I'm also surprised that nobody else here has ever seen the inside of these steering columns from 1964 and older. Seems azdave should have seen a few in his life,but, maybe he don't remove the steering wheels . Maybe the Corvette forum will have more helpful input on this.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

64CorvairMonza wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:37 am I'm also surprised that nobody else here has ever seen the inside of these steering columns from 1964 and older. Seems azdave should have seen a few in his life,but, maybe he don't remove the steering wheels . Maybe the Corvette forum will have more helpful input on this.
I have been in a bunch. The direction that the spring mounts I have never welded into my memory as it is apparently evident to me which way to install it when I am there:)

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”