Noisy Lifter

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
plrgpr

Noisy Lifter

Post by plrgpr »

My 66 140hp just developed a noisy lifter when cold. It hammers away pretty loud for 4-5 minutes then goes away completely as the engine warms up.....gets quiet as can be. I had this happen to one of my cars years ago and used Rislone with a great deal of success. The lifter noise went away and never came back. But that was a water cooled engine. What are your opinions on using Rislone in the Corvair?
Gary Roberson
66 Vert 140 4-sp Corsa “clone”
joelsplace

Re: Noisy Lifter

Post by joelsplace »

Never used it. What oil are you using and how often do you change it? I've found some cars like to be about 1/2 quart over full to keep lifters happy.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
plrgpr

Post by plrgpr »

Bought the car in December, it had a fresh oil change at that time, so I don’t know what type of oil was in it. Since then I have driven it 800 miles when the noisy lifter starts when the engine is cold. As soon as the noise developed, I changed the oil and used Royal Purple 5w30 full synthetic. I opted to go with the 5w rather than the 10w thinking the oil would flow quicker to the lifters with the 5w on a cold engine. I probably need to mention that prior to me getting the car, it pretty much set for the last 20 years.
Gary Roberson
steve57

Post by steve57 »

I have used Rislone in mine. It will not hurt to try it. Just follow the directions. As far as the oil goes l use regular 10w30. Talking about oil types and weights for Corvairs is an endless conversation.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've had cars that would make lifter noise randomly after parking them. I think it's from what position the engine stop in. Keep driving it. Some miles will probably straighten it out.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
plrgpr

Post by plrgpr »

Thanks for the input everyone. Joelsplace was right, The oil change only had 800 miles on it when the noise started, I went ahead and changed it anyway. Started it up and noise was still there. Drove it the next day and noise was still there (still cold only). During this drive I ran it through the gears moderately hard (up to 4500 RPM several times), then jumped on the interstate and ran down a couple of exits at up to 80 mph. Came home and parked it. Started it the next day and noise completely gone!😀I avg. about 30 miles per week on the car, so it does get driven regularly.
Gary Roberson
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

plrgpr wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm Thanks for the input everyone. Joelsplace was right, The oil change only had 800 miles on it when the noise started, I went ahead and changed it anyway. Started it up and noise was still there. Drove it the next day and noise was still there (still cold only). During this drive I ran it through the gears moderately hard (up to 4500 RPM several times), then jumped on the interstate and ran down a couple of exits at up to 80 mph. Came home and parked it. Started it the next day and noise completely gone!😀I avg. about 30 miles per week on the car, so it does get driven regularly.
Some crud or varnish was likely in it and now has cleared. You are very possibly all set for now. This is common with these engines when they have sat for a long time. Lifter noise at start up is somewhat common after sitting for even a week or so (although if this was my engines normal I would do a running valve adjustment to try to improve this). I have revived engines that have sat for many years and they are often noisy as hell for a number of start and warm up cycles until everything gets well oiled, flushed out, and happy again:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I have one lifter that will clatter for a few minutes after sitting for a while, must have shut down with it open and it bleeds down over a few days. A few minutes and it quiets down. Doesn't happen all the time.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”