'65 Corsa Update (or not)

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
perfectreign

'65 Corsa Update (or not)

Post by perfectreign »

After a year, the Corsa still is sitting in the garage. We took the old 1961 engine out, put a new 110 engine in, and then waited for new tubes to be built for a center carb setup.

That's all in and wired up. Unfortunately, my son fell in love with a 1993 Toyota SC400.

So, most recently, his focus has been getting this car working to be a daily driver for work. Currently, he's driving my 2006 Avalanche at 13 mpg.

I kind of felt bad today as I was beginning to clean up from family Christmas festivities. The Corvair hood has become a dumping ground for fishing equipment and gift wrap. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by perfectreign on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
joelsplace

Re: '65 Corsa Update (or not)

Post by joelsplace »

You could tell him that's a 140 engine not a 110.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

That plate, on the Vair is pretty dated and cool!!! Love it. Hope the boy can find interest in the much cooler Corvair, than the Yoda.

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Came back to this a year later. The '65 is still in the garage and hasn't hardly been touched. After posting, my son took the '93 SC400 and modded the heck out of it. Then, one of his co-workers sold him a '95 SC400 for $350. This car is beautiful and we've taken several road trips in it. Daniel is a 1UZ fanboi now.

I need help. I like the car and would gladly work on it but have little time or really mechanical skill. I can change oil and help out but am not one to setup a differential.

So I looked at the forum to see who are able to work on a Corvair in my area. I see California Corvairs is no longer doing work on cars. I see Dave Statland's Mobile Corvair Service is also not taking new customers.

So, either we sell it as is and it goes to a good home, or I find someone to repair.

Any ideas?

Help?
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Corvairs are much better for people that can do all their own work. You might have to take it a good distance to a good Corvair mechanic. If you are thinking to fix it to sell it's almost always better just to sell as is unless it is a minor repair - not a differential.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Good point. I had hoped to work on it myself but am not seeing the time. The car is fantastic looking but may never get out of the garage at this rate.

Seems simple what needs to be done but am lost

Fixing the messed up carb studs
getting the rear wheels hooked back up to the diff
replacing the shifter linkage ball
connecting the gas line
putting the tunnel cover on
closing the engine bay
wiring turn signals and brake lights
redoing the brakes
painting the door
replacing interior door panels
building throttle linkage